Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Matt, the valet costs $24 and the lot $20/day.

Really? Damn, when did the lot go up form 15?

The $30 was based on including tip in the valet cost. Whatever. I just hate valet as a principle anyway.

Thanks for the parking advice. I booked my hotel by the airport and am all set to go, I leave tomorrow morning.

Thanks again to everyone here! This trip couldn't have happened without your help.

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    Thanks for the parking advice. I booked my hotel by the airport and am all set to go, I leave tomorrow morning.

Thanks again to everyone here! This trip couldn't have happened without your help.
    Have fun Jake!!! Lucky you getting out of this arctic weather :-) Please share how you liked it when you get back.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Jake, welcome to Miami!

If you want, you can park for free in our building on 5th and Lenox. The only downside is, you can not move the car between 7pm and 9am, when the building is closed.

Give us a shout.

Matt, City of Miami Beach recently did a slight price hike on parking.

BTW, I went to Starbucks on 14th & Collins last night. The lot at Il Villagio charged $10 which was not bad considering there was NO street parking in the near universe. That was $10 for a full night of parking, had I decided to stay -- much better deal than parking at the municipal garage on 16th between Collins & Washington.

I mean, did you at least stay and get your $10 worth? That seems like a lot to go and get coffee.

Alas, no, I couldn't stay. Got an impromptu dinner/drinks invite from a guy I like, so I headed back to the Grove. Otherwise, I would've stayed with my meeting buddies and had dinner on Ocean.

Man, you must REALLY like someone to give up a $10 parking spot.

Love makes you do crazy things! :-)

Well, I got back from Miami on Wednesday, and I had a great time.

I feel like I saw and did everything I had planned to, and I made the most out of every second I was in Miami.

I talked to a few people while in Miami and some said I should move down, and some warned me against it. I think I still need a few more days to put everything in perspective and to figure out if I'm going to move down.

Here's a short desription of my trip:

Sunday:
    Flew into Ft. Lauderdale and drove into South Beach. When I drove into SB the traffic was backed up and I was kind of worried thinking "Oh no, traffic must be this bad all the time, there's no way I could live here" It turns out Ocean Dr was closed down for the weekend for the Art Deco walk and that's why there was so much traffic. Fortunately, that was the worst traffic I faced for the whole duration of my trip. After arriving, I parked at the garage on 7th and Collins overnight. Checked into the Colony hotel and pretty much just walked around SB and checked out all the areas I wanted to, like the beach, Flamingo Park, Holocaust Memorial, etc. At night I hung out around Lincoln mall and really enjoyed the atmosphere.

Monday:
    Took the city bus tour, and had a great time! Jim, you are THE MAN!! I even got a free trip to the Everglades and got to ride around on a wind boat. After getting back, I walked around the residential area South of Flamingo Park just to check out a few apartments. Then drove into Miami and checked into the hotel by the airport. That night I went back to SB and went to a few bars with a guy I met on the bus tour, who was also thinking about moving to Miami from another state.

Tuesday:
    In the morning I stopped by the Miami Beach 411 headquarters and got to meet and talk with Gus. I went to the Wolfsonian Museum and shopped around the Collins and Washington road areas. In the afternoon I had a few job interviews in the Coral Gables area, all of which went pretty well. On my way back from the interviews I drove through Coconut Grove, Brickell, and Downtown areas, all the 3 of which I really liked. At night I thought about going back to SB to hang out, but I talked to my friend from the day before and he said it was like 50 degrees and it was pretty dead. So instead I went to bed early with the plan to get up early.

Wednesday:
    Got up early and drove to the Dadeland mall by going West of the airport and zig zagging through the Doral, West Miami, Coral Gables, South Miami, and Kendall areas. After spending an hour or two at the mall, I drove North on US-1 and stopped at the Bayside mall in downtown. I walked around there and the Bayfront Park area for a few hours. My plan from there was to drive back into SB and take Collins Rd north all the way up to Bal Harbour and then drive to the airport, but I didn't have time so I just took 95 to the Dania area and checked out that area before driving to the airport and leaving for Detroit.

I ended up spending less then I thought I would on this trip:

Plane ticket- $220
    Car rental- $160
    Colony Hotel- $120
    Airport Hotel- $160
    Parking- $30
    Food- $45
    Shopping- $65

So that's about $800

Overall, I had a great time. Once again I want to thank everyone on this site, and everyone who helped me plan my trip. I couldn't have done this without you. Thank you!

Wow, what a fun and productive trip! You definitely packed in a bunch of things in such a short time. We're here for you if you have any more questions about relocating here. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Matt,

I too was down in Miami(same time as you), checking it out to see if I wanted to move down. Like I mentioned on another thread,(Will I have fun in Sobe my myself?) I've been there 3 times prior- all with friends/boyfriend and I've had a blast. This trip was really a dissapointment bc the weather was bad(too cold for beach),I went out to eat by myself (ok, but not fun), and I was really surprised at the lack of single, local, straight, girls/guys. Although I did meet some tourist guys at a club. Being a white, single girl, I really felt like a minority, which leads me to believe that it will be hard to find girls to hang out with or a possible boyfriend.

I read what you did and you did way more than me! I think part of the reason our experiences differed is because:
    1. You made friends on the city tour that you hung out with after.
    2. You kept really busy, explored, and went on job interviews.

This is what I did:
    When arrived checked into hotel and went to front porch cafe. I talked for awhile w a really nice waiter who lives there and gave me some really great real estate advice. The next day I met w my realtor and saw a bunch of apartments. We went out to segafredo espresso on lincoln, I moved on to drinks at the delano solo (met a couple of nice girls), but the guys there looked like used car salesmen. Then I ended up going to a hot nightclub-did meet people and had a great time. Mostly everyone I met were tourists. I guess the local professionals don't party it up on a mon night..lol

The entire next day was a wash due to my killer hangover and staying out so late. Luckily my hotel was nice and Jerry's deli delivers.

The third day I really felt like miami wasn't for me. Ventured out to eat twice and then holed up in my hotel due to me not packing the right clothes for fifty degress. I did walk on the beach a bit in the hopes that it would cheer me up. (didn't work).

I feel really stupid basing my decision on my feelings from 3 day trip where the weather sucked and the fact that I only met tourists. (except for the waiter and realtor)

Part of me says that I just have to suck it up and take a risk. No risk-no reward, right? I may be getting a very cushy, dream job in nyc.- live right outside of city now so I wouldn't move. I'm thinking if I don't get it, I may just take one of the
    apartments I saw, and see if the landlord would entertain a 4 month lease. And then I would just tell myself I'm testing it out. It's not like once I move there I'm stuck for the rest of my life!

Well Mat, when are you going to decide?

Sungal, I just posted on your thread, and then found this one, sorry to take over from Jake's but just wanted to say you sound like you had a bummer stay, I'm so sorry! But SoBe is what you make it, and though you went out and had fun, you also ate on your own and experienced living in SoBe as opposed to holidaying here. So not totally a bad thing.

The weather was a freak thing, it's back up to mid 70s now. And also, we can chat on your thread but living here is actually better than what you did, sometimes the hard part is living out of a hotel room for a week to check it out, without your stuff it's a bit souless. When you live here you will have all your stuff in your own space, and it will be a home you come back to, it's much better.

Well done for trying it, and everyone on this site is so friendly, I promise if you move you will make friends! You can always come hang out with me and my new gang one evening!

Hi sungal, sorry your stay was not as enjoyable as you expected. Once you move here, you will become familiar with places where the locals hang out. It will be a completely different experience, especially if you get involved in activities.

Clubs are fun but they're not the best place to meet long-term residents or make "quality" friendships. This takes time.

I'm a single white girl (though I am hispanic and speak Spanish, which helps). I lived on the beach for years. Over time, when you start working and what not you'll make your connections of friends.

Sungal, I'm not sure if you read my other post to you, but it seems you got a good sense of the cultural outsiderness that most Anglos feel when they move here. It is a hard fact of living in Miami that you have to understand if you ever want to live here. You are the out group. You have to actually work to be accepted here, whereas in other cities you are immediately part of the cultural mainstream. If that is not something you can handle, DO NOT MOVE TO MIAMI.

I have literally made a writing career out of this fact, and people have written to me, talked to me at parties, and come up to me in the grocery store to tell me that I have hit dead-on why this is a hard place for a white non-Hispanic person to live. Not impossible, but tough.

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the info. I grew up living with my mom part time. In her town white people were also the minority. It was an urban area that had mostly a lower to working class population, and it was largely Hispanic, black, indian. I went to the public school in the town for just a half year, and I was friends with everyone. Well ok, mostly the kids who ran cross country, did winter track, and were in the nerdy honors classes like me. I did mostly do hs in my dad's town which was pretty much totally white..

And, I did have 4 years of spanish in hs and 2 years in college. Let's face it, spanish is pretty easy. Televsion= el television. Think I will be fine, but maybe once I'm down there I will get a spanish/english dictionary just to brush up.

Gracias para tu la informacion...hasta luego

Yeah, ok. But the first time you are in an insane hurry and walk into Walgreens and need boot polish or swiffer wet jety pads or something elst that you can't just throw and el on the beginning of and an o on the end of to make Spanish, and you have to find 4 people before anyone understands what you are looking for, and you end up being 20 minutes late to whatever you are trying to get to becasue of it, you will understand what I'm saying. Every American who moves here has this moment, and it's quite often the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Hey sungal,

Sorry it took me so long to reply to your post and sorry you had a crappy time on your trip. I think keeping busy and meeting a few people definetly bettered the trip for me, and the fact that it was my first time visiting Miami as opposed to this being your 4th time. That and I was used to the sub zero weather up here, so even when it was 50 that one day it still felt like a heat wave to me, :)

As for my decision to move, I have yet to hear back from any of the companies I interviewed with. But I also haven't followed up with them yet, which is what I plan to do this week.

The good news is, I got hired in full time where I have been working part time up here. I pretty much doubled my salary and now have full health and dental benefits, 401k, etc. So my brain tells me that I should hang on to this job for a year or two up here, especially given the current economy.

Now that I've had a week or two to really digest my trip to Miami, I will say I really really liked Miami, and I could see myself living there and surviving there. However I wouldn't say I absolutely fell in love with it and that I necessarily have to move there. If that makes any sense.

In reguards to finding friends if I do move, I don't think it would be that big of a problem for me. I feel like I could meet people, and I'm pretty independent anyway so I don't necessarily need a lot of friends to enjoy the area. I did sometimes catch myself questioning if I really fit in, in Miami though.

At this moment, my plan is to live and work up here atleast for another 6-7 months. I will more then likely be renting an apartment with some friends of mine this summer, and just saving up some money, and then look at moving down this fall. Hopefully by then the economy will have picked up and I'll have a job secured down there.

Hi Jake! Thanks for keeping us posted. It does seem like the prudent thing to do. Let us know how things are going.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast