Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default "Dress to impress" for an interview?

Hi..

I have an interview for a nightclub and the e-mail said "dress to impress" and called it an interview/"audition" what?! I'm not an actress...

Are these people really expecting me to show up in a halter top and mini skit to a job interview? LOL. Has anyone been on a club interview? If so, what is the proper attire/attitude?

This club is in Coral Gables, so I'm not sure I want to work there if it's not as "hoppin'" as Miami Beach. So I plan to spend the day applying to clubs/bars/rest. the whole day. I realize they want you to look good when you're applying..but what do they expect? A classy business outfit or a "going to the bar" outfit?

Also, how do you apply to a club? Is anyone even there at 2 in the afternoon? I know their websites are no help to potential employees... anyone please advise!!

Thanks,
    Lindsay

If you showed up in haltar and miniskirt, I am sure there would be no complaints. I would suggest going for business-sexy, though. Wear a nice top that flatters your figure and a nice short skirt, but probably not one where your cheeks show. High heel sandals or stilleto boots are both good.

And, remember that while you are not an actress, you are a performer. There are two parts to being a good bartender. One is mixing, the other is personality. Now, really, with a little practice, anyone can pour coke and rum into a glass or pop the top off a beer. The reason people keep coming back to their favorite bartenders over and over is because they like the presentation. So, the clubs are going to be looking for people with an outgoing personality, very friendly and flirty, who can tolerate lots of BS from drunks.

The "audition" part is pretty much pretentious bullshit that clubs who take themselves way too seriously put on their ads to make themselves look exclusive. The closest thing to an "audition" they may ask is for a "coming to the table" simulation, or ask you to make a drink or 2. These things are like giant casting calls, so get there EARLY. Miamians are really bad about punctuality, so if you get there earlier your chances are exponentially better. Managers hate the hiring process, so they generally hire the first qualified people who walk through the door.

Coach is absolutely right on the outfit thing. But again, this club is in the Gables, so as trendy ad they're trying to be at the end of the day thsi place isn't exactly going to be on The Travel Channel. So your plan of taking the day to apply is a good one.

Lindsay, if you are looking to apply at restaurants and things I say you try out Brickell Village.

For a mix of both you have: Badrutts Place, Segafredo, Dolores but you can call me Lolita and Blue Martini... Sometimes Novecento (not my fav.)

Some restaurants that have a steady flow (aka steady money): Perricone's, Oceanaire, Rosa Mexicano, Archies, PF Changs, etc. Maybe Grimpa as well... It's like Fogo De Chao, Texas De Brazil and Porcao (Brazilian Churrascaria)

I like the Brickell area because it is full of professionals with $$$. They tip nicer than most other places because they are dishing out much more for their meals/activities & parties.

For a job on the "risque" side: The waitresses at Tootsie's make $$$ and they don't have to walk around naked. The girls wear corset's, skirts whatever length they please (not a grandma skirt but their cheeks don't have to show), and I noticed some were wearing jordans and nike sneakers. Very comfortable uniform.

Never hurts to let the Twins do all the talking.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

LOL at Burgnady!

While coach and Matt are right about the "audition" part, I think the reason clubs say this is because they want to see how willing you are to play the part of a sexy cocktail waitress, or super cool bartender. And one good way to show you are is to "dress to impress." Or as Mr. Burgundy so eloquently put it, "let the Twins do all the talking."

You asked...

Also, how do you apply to a club? Is anyone even there at 2 in the afternoon?"
    Cameo, Space, Nikki Beach, and The Opium Group all have offices that are open during business hours. I suggest you call them and try to make a friend. I say "try" because I don't want you to get your hopes up. The gatekeepers who answer the phone sometimes let it go to their head.

Kristine's suggestions about the restaurants in Brickell are good. There's money to be made in them thar hills.

My friends who work in South Beach are complaining it's dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    LOL at Burgnady!

While coach and Matt are right about the "audition" part, I think the reason clubs say this is because they want to see how willing you are to play the part of a sexy cocktail waitress, or super cool bartender. And one good way to show you are is to "dress to impress." Or as Mr. Burgundy so eloquently put it, "let the Twins do all the talking."

You asked...

Also, how do you apply to a club? Is anyone even there at 2 in the afternoon?"
    Cameo, Space, Nikki Beach, and The Opium Group all have offices that are open during business hours. I suggest you call them and try to make a friend. I say "try" because I don't want you to get your hopes up. The gatekeepers who answer the phone sometimes let it go to their head.

Kristine's suggestions about the restaurants in Brickell are spot on. There's money to be made in them thar hills.

My friends who work in South Beach are complaining it's dead.
    i got a job at nikki a few years ago just by walking in and asking for one. I cant remember what i was wearing, but i lived on sobe at that time.

I agree with Kristin, shoot for jobs in brickell before the beach or the gables (unless its fine dining.) you get more locals which means that even when tourism dies off, you still will make some money.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Thank you for pointing this out, xtina.

Timing and living here for awhile are often necessary to find a job at a good place.

Did you take the job at Nikki Beach?

For a long time, I worked down the street at Tuscan Steak. When it was good, we'd make $250 a night, but on average is was like $160.

I hear some of China Grill Management's restaurants are hurting.

I wonder if Asia de Cuba at the Mondrian Hotel will be a success? If it's not, and China Grill Management ends up closing a bunch of their restaurants, I'll take this to mean our economy is really in for a beating.

Did you know Prime 112 is opening a new restaurant, right across the street - Prime Italian?

Business is good for Myles Chefetz and Michael Schwartz.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Thank you for pointing this out, xtina.

Timing and living here for awhile are often necessary to find a job at a good place.

Did you take the job at Nikki Beach?

For a long time, I worked down the street at Tuscan Steak. When it was good, we'd make $250 a night, but on average is was like $160.

I hear some of China Grill Management's restaurants are hurting.

I wonder if Asia de Cuba at the Mondrian Hotel will be a success? If it's not, and China Grill Management ends up closing a bunch of their restaurants, I'll take this to mean our economy is really in for a beating.

Did you know Prime 112 is opening a new restaurant, right across the street - Prime Italian?

Business is good for Myles Chefetz and Michael Schwartz.
    I did take the job. When i lived on south beach I worked a bunch of jobs: retail, restaurants and what i refer to as fringe hospitality (rental cars)

the job at Nikki sucked. I would not recommend that people work there, but i hear they have changed some of their policies. I would make about $200-300 on Sundays, but that was working loooong shifts, and then they took about 45% of our tips on tip-out, most of which went to management. They also taxed our credit card tips and put them on our checks. not.awesome.

That was my only stint waiting tables. not fun. I havent eaten at Prime 112, but I would like to know how Prime Italian is, once it opens.

I have noticed alot of fine-dining is moving to upper east side and the design district. I think that has to do with the fact that alot of Chef-owned restaurants are opening and it's cheaper rent in "up and coming" areas.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Burgandy
    LOL. Ain't that the truth... BUT it can come across like you're a desperate slut.

Thanks for the tips everyone I'll keep this all in mind. One other concern I have is parking for this day of fun- I know a garage to park at when walking down Lincoln. But what about for Brickell? Am I going to have to park in many different garages for this trip? Man my feet are going to kill me in heals..

Quote Originally Posted by LindsayA
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgandy
    LOL. Ain't that the truth... BUT it can come across like you're a desperate slut.

Thanks for the tips everyone I'll keep this all in mind. One other concern I have is parking for this day of fun- I know a garage to park at when walking down Lincoln. But what about for Brickell? Am I going to have to park in many different garages for this trip? Man my feet are going to kill me in heals..
    it's all about the balance.... i say this like i have much to flaunt... lol

anyway, probably alot of the places in brickell are close to each other, but you can always take the metromover if you need. its free too!

There a plenty of metered street spaces available in Brickell if you look around. And yeah, the Metromover is free if you really don't feel like walking.

LindsayA, the thing about Miami nightlife is that 'scantily clad' and 'show us your twins and/or naughty bits' is the dress code. The phrase "something left to be desired" means nothing here. I think hookers on Biscayne Boulevard sport more fabric (at least what I've seen when driving by). The only difference between a hooker & a club-goer often is the crack marks on the arm.

And you should see South Beach on Halloween. Everyone dresses up like a ho, even though they are *usually* dressed like a ho anyway.

I'm not sure what the heck they mean by "dress to impress" Isn't that rather insulting to someone's intelligence? Like you wouldn't try to look your best for an interview anyway?

Here's a tip for Brickell ... bring an over-sized purse & a pair of flip flops. Even with metromover, you might still have to pound some pavement.

Wish you all the best with your job search! Keep us posted. :-)

New User

Well my job search did NOT go well...

The "clubs" I saw on Craigslist were jokes, I didn't even go in for the interview! So I thought I was dressed pretty good a "businessey" belted corsett with a black skirt on the shorter side. I took a walk down Lincoln and filled out an application at Sushi Samba. After that I had an interview with the bar manager, and it went really good- it pretty much seemed like he was going to hire me. So he told me to come back in an hour to meet one of the other managers. So I come back and had an interview with a female manager (now this is where the low cut shirt could have backfired) it went OK and at the end she said "I'll have to talk it over with the other managers and call you"- TOTAL BLOW OFF! This was on Wednesday and guess what? They didn't call.

Anyway after that I made my way down to Brickell and by this time it's starting to get dark. I had no idea where to park, so I just parked at the Burger King and walked over to Blue Martini. As I was filling out the application the manager came over to introduce himself, which I thought was a good sign. When I was done he said they just had an "open casting call" and there weren't many position open, and they'd call me if anything came up. ANOTHER blow off.

Lastly I applied at some nearby rooftop restaurant and ALL of the staff and customers were speaking Spanish. So I just quickly filled out the app and left it on the host stand. After all this I didn't feel like driving back to south beach so I said "Fuck it" and went home.

I definely should of had a better game plan, but oh well. If anyone hears of any openings let me know...

The only thing I can tell you there, Lindsay, is that if you really want to work somewhere go back and ask for the same manager again to see whats up. Blue Martini didn't sound like it was gonna work, but Sushi Samba might.

I was part of the opening staff at Sushi Samba on Lincoln. Don't try and drop my name though, I was fired after 6 months. This was back in 2001.

I can help you when it comes to Brickell. I know GM's, Managers, and Maitre D's at all of the top places around here.

The rooftop restaurant you are talking about is probably Dolores but you can call me Lolita. That's a HOTSPOT. I have encountered rude employees there though so ehh.... it's ok to pass that place!

Send me a PM if you need help. I'll contact my trusty resources

I know SOME in South Beach... I'm sure Gus and Michelle know more. Yesterday someone called them the rulers of the Universe because they know EVERYONEEE and everyone loves them :)

Hi Lindsay, sorry to hear about the disappointing experiences. I think the key here is persistence and patience. Keep trying.