Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default 1024 Ocean Drive - Renters Beware

Hello,

We are moving to Miami and we have already been ripped off by a woman named Diane Dickstein, she was apparently the manager of a building that we were looking at on 10th and Ocean. She requested money to view the place but did not make it to the appointment due to "family emergency". We told her we were very interested in renting and then she said that we would definately get the place if we filled out a contract and sent her a deposit. We also did that, now we have not had any contact with her since September and we are now out of $800.00 dlls. This sucks!!! We have notified all of the right agencies for FRAUD and now we are just waiting and out of money. So the moral of this story is to watch out for scammers.

1024 Ocean Dr, 4 bdrm, 4 bthrm for under 1000! BEWARE

Hi lb, welcome to the forums. I am so sorry this happened to you. Yes ... never, EVER give $ before viewing a place and signing a legal contract.

Where did you find this ad? was it on Craigslist?

I don't even think a 4 bedroom unit exists in that part of the beach, much less for under $1K.

Are you still thinking of moving here? I would not recommend living on Ocean Drive. It is touristy, crowded, congested and noisy! I would suggest living on other areas of South Beach, if you must live in SoBe.

Oh, how unfortunate. Please know that no legitimate agent will charge to show a place, in case someone else tries this on you.

Maria is right about Ocean Dr - I don't think it's appealing as a residence at all.

Please check back with use before looking at any new places. We would have told you that $800 was waaaay too cheap for anything on Ocean Drive. Sorry that happened, but let us help you make sure it never happens again.

And we don't even charge.

New User

I found the ad in mynewplace.com, my fiance and I thought it was a legitimate post since it was on a website that we have been using to find our new place. At first we thought it was a mistake so we decided to check it out. When she replied that everything on the ad was correct we decided to go for it. We are now looking at a condo in downtown. We have kept all of the correspondance that we have exchanged with this woman and I hope that one day we get a chance to use this against her. Thanks for all your responses.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, lb, welcome to MiamiBeach411. Thanks for posting.

Sorry you got scammed.

Let me get this straight...you were renting an apartment sight unseen, mailed a deposit to Diane Dickstein who you thought was the apartment manager, made the check payable to Diane Dickstein, and now Diane Dickstein has disappeared?

Can't you track her down from where she deposited the check?

LB, I really suggest against renting something sight unseen. Even if the rental agent/landlord is honest and doesn't intend to scam you, you should always check out the unit in person before signing a contract.

If you google "Diane Dickstein" miami you can see she was related to some other listings as well.

Suzanne C

If you have her address, why not sue her in small claims court? Just send a registered letter as the summons. When she doesn't show, you are awarded the default judgment.

Gosh darn I'm speechless. That is unbelievable. I'm a licensed realtor-associate. Been in the business for 12 years and rentals are my specialty. Before anyone leaves a deposit to be put in a non-interest bearing escrow account I show the property or properties first. Also, I write up a receipt that discloses what you deposited and deduct it from the balance you owe on or right before you move in. What that lady did was really lame. If you are still looking let me know.