Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 400k-450k Spending Limit -- Need Advice

First let me introduce myself to help the advice given

I am 20 years old ( turn 21 in March ) and I trade equities and futures contracts on a daily basis. I would either like a nice house within 10 min driving distance from South Beach or a Condo somewhere in South Beach. That being said I would like to hear some locals compare the pro's and con's regarding the two.

I like to go out and plan on roaming the beach often. To a certain extent of course, I take my career seriously and consider my maturity level beyond that of the average 20 year old but am also looking for a place where young people such as myself reside.

This is it for now - After I reach a decision ( Condo/House ) I will then ask about neighborhoods/Condo buildings etc

Best wishes,

Niko

Oh I forgot to mention that I just recently bought an Iron Cross Kennels American Pitbull Terrier lol. This little pimp is guaranteed to get 100+ lbs :lol: , his father was 144 lbs on a vet scale so this might be a problem for the whole Condo issue?

Thanks again,

Niko

Well, the only houses within 10 minutes of south beach are the ones in south beach. Understand that "South Beach" is the southern part of the city of Miami Beach, which is an island a couple miles off the mainland. Generally, the drive across any causeway takes about 10 minutes itself, so if you live anywhere on the mainland, you are going to be more than 10 minutes from south beach.

That being said, there are some houses in south beach. I can't quote you on prices, but you can look around there. You could also look up a little north on Miami Beach around the mid-beach area, but I think that is mostly condos.

A dog the size, I'm pretty sure, will not be allowed in most condo buildings. If you really, really want a condo, that might be the first question you should ask - a number of buildings will not be options on that alone.

Based on your budget, you will be able to find nice homes, but mainly in family neighborhoods; I don't know that houses are available for that range in Miami Beach, unless they're foreclosures, of which there are dozens.

Quote Originally Posted by coach
    Well, the only houses within 10 minutes of south beach are the ones in south beach. Understand that "South Beach" is the southern part of the city of Miami Beach, which is an island a couple miles off the mainland. Generally, the drive across any causeway takes about 10 minutes itself, so if you live anywhere on the mainland, you are going to be more than 10 minutes from south beach.

That being said, there are some houses in south beach. I can't quote you on prices, but you can look around there. You could also look up a little north on Miami Beach around the mid-beach area, but I think that is mostly condos.
    Thank you for your reply Coach. I can go ahead and assure us both that there are no houses in South Beach any where near my budget area. Well, that was easy lol. I thought this was going to be a hard contemplating process but consider that piece of info it looks like I am set on a condo.

Now I understand I am not going to be able to get some super high profile celebrity like extravagant condo for 450K but it should get me some very nice modern options and would love to hear your suggesting on condominium buildings in South Beach.

Another thing, is Status going to be an issue? ( Status is the name of my puppy )

Thank you for your time,

Niko

Quote Originally Posted by Tere
    A dog the size, I'm pretty sure, will not be allowed in most condo buildings. If you really, really want a condo, that might be the first question you should ask - a number of buildings will not be options on that alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tere

Based on your budget, you will be able to find nice homes, but mainly in family neighborhoods; I don't know that houses are available for that range in Miami Beach, unless they're foreclosures, of which there are dozens.
    Oh most definitely. So you locals call South Beach, Miami Beach? I am familiar with foreclosures and understand that there is a lot of them but the problem is they are not as lucrative as most people think. Regardless I would not mind a condo, but would just like to get some suggestions on the buildings

Thank you for your reply,

Niko

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, Niko, welcome to MiamiBeach411. Thanks for posting your question here.

Most of the condo foreclosures are happening at the buildings in Downtown Miami.

From what I hear, condos on the Beach are retaining their value.

I always tell people moving here to rent for a year and scope out for a good deal.

The closest single family houses in that price range are in Morningside, Design District and Little Hatti.

Where do you live?

Actually, at this point, you should be able to get a nice condo for your price range. And be sure to bargain hard with them. There are a lot of empty spaces these days.

The locals usually call anything in the city of Miami Beach "the beach". There are three areas of the city of Miami Beach. South Beach extends from the south tip at 1st Street up to about 25th Street. Mid-Beach runs from there up to around 50th St or so. North Beach is above that, up to about 90th Street, then it becomes a different city, Bal Harbor. South Beach, Mid Beach, and North Beach are all sections of the City of Miami Beach. Of course, to confuse it further, there is also a city called North Miami Beach, but that's a different city.

The South Beach area is really where all the main clubbing and nightlife is right now. All the areas of Miami Beach have their own character, though, and different things to recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Hi, Niko, welcome to MiamiBeach411. Thanks for posting your question here.

Most of the condo foreclosures are happening at the buildings in Downtown Miami.

From what I hear, condos on the Beach are retaining their value.

I always tell people moving here to rent for a year and scope out for a good deal.

The closest single family houses in that price range are in Morningside, Design District and Little Hatti.

Where do you live?
    Thank you for your reply. I just recently bought a " high rise " condo here in the heart of Chicago about a year and a half ago ( that I will not be selling due to our market conditions and plans on returning for the summer months ) . Before that I lived with my parents in a small but modern town roughly 2 hours south of Chicago. I am not looking for foreclosures and to be honest, looking for something for sale by owner. I got a way with the words :D and understand our economical situation enough where I will eliminate all the " optimistic " BS most of these dreamers feed you.

I pretty much just would like to know a couple of the best condominium buildings in South Beach. I will take it from there.

I appreciate your time and have a Merry Christmas,

Niko

Quote Originally Posted by coach
    Actually, at this point, you should be able to get a nice condo for your price range. And be sure to bargain hard with them. There are a lot of empty spaces these days.

The locals usually call anything in the city of Miami Beach "the beach". There are three areas of the city of Miami Beach. South Beach extends from the south tip at 1st Street up to about 25th Street. Mid-Beach runs from there up to around 50th St or so. North Beach is above that, up to about 90th Street, then it becomes a different city, Bal Harbor. South Beach, Mid Beach, and North Beach are all sections of the City of Miami Beach. Of course, to confuse it further, there is also a city called North Miami Beach, but that's a different city.

The South Beach area is really where all the main clubbing and nightlife is right now. All the areas of Miami Beach have their own character, though, and different things to recommend them.
    Wow, thank you. I honestly appreciate it. This definitely helps me narrow things down.

Take care,

Niko

Suzanne C

Niko...I hate to break it to you but you'll need to go a lot further than 10 minutes with that pooch.

Pit bulls are illegal in Miami-Dade county.

I noticed he said pitbull but for some reason didn't think "American pitbull terrier" was the same thing as the "pitbull" that's illegal here.

Then I did a search, and by the pictures, they look the same.

So... yeah. Pitbulls are indeed illegal here.

Oh really? I meant a terrier mix, hehe - What now? :lol:

Suzanne C

Unfortunately there's no way to get around that- AT ALL. Vets in Miami-Dade county are not even allowed to treat Pits and Broward vets verify a Broward County address first.

I know people who have (large backyards in West Kendall) pit bulls without issues. The dog has never stepped foot outside of that backyard and the vet who sees him is a 'friend.'

But then again, sometimes people have nosy neighbors they get into disagreements with who then rat them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzy
    Unfortunately there's no way to get around that- AT ALL. Vets in Miami-Dade county are not even allowed to treat Pits and Broward vets verify a Broward County address first.

I know people who have (large backyards in West Kendall) pit bulls without issues. The dog has never stepped foot outside of that backyard and the vet who sees him is a 'friend.'

But then again, sometimes people have nosy neighbors they get into disagreements with who then rat them out.
    Your telling me there is no way I can declare Status as a terrier mix? He is already almost as big as an average sized Pitbull. Regardless I have already decided that he is coming with me. Nothing is impossible and I will find a loop hole around this, guaranteed.

I am surprised there are no Real Estate brokers lurking around this site to personally assist me with my questions and concerns. Anyone have a couple referrals?

Thanks,

Niko

Quote Originally Posted by Niko

Your telling me there is no way I can declare Status as a terrier mix? He is already almost as big as an average sized Pitbull. Regardless I have already decided that he is coming with me. Nothing is impossible and I will find a loop hole around this, guaranteed.

I am surprised there are no Real Estate brokers lurking around this site to personally assist me with my questions and concerns. Anyone have a couple referrals?

Thanks,

Niko
    I'm an agent and I hate to break it to you, but Suzy's right. Even if it's a pitbull mix it's still illegal in Dade County. Forget about it, especially a condo. The board will not approve you.

Niko, I don't know about price range, but mid-beach is the area within the city limits of Miami Beach with the most single family homes. South Beach proper is mostly buildings, with the exception of the Venetian Causeway and the islands off the Macarthur causeway.

North Beach is mixed house/buildings but some of it is kind of ghetto and old. In between Bal Harbour is a mixed house/buildings village called Surfside which is a little nicer than North Beach.

I knew someone who lived in mid-beach who had a pit bull. Mind you, he was always nervous to be found out and walking on egg shells. He had a small house with a yard and never took the dog out.

I agree with Gus on the suggestion of renting for a year and then deciding where you want to live. It seems that with your career you can be pretty flexible. Miami is a HUGE sprawling city.

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by Niko
    First let me introduce myself to help the advice given

I am 20 years old ( turn 21 in March ) and I trade equities and futures contracts on a daily basis. I would either like a nice house within 10 min driving distance from South Beach or a Condo somewhere in South Beach. That being said I would like to hear some locals compare the pro's and con's regarding the two.

I like to go out and plan on roaming the beach often. To a certain extent of course, I take my career seriously and consider my maturity level beyond that of the average 20 year old but am also looking for a place where young people such as myself reside.

This is it for now - After I reach a decision ( Condo/House ) I will then ask about neighborhoods/Condo buildings etc

Best wishes,

Niko
    Hi Niko

There are plenty of options for 10 minutes driving if you are talking of 400k-450k
    single-family homes, there are about 25-30 properties within this price range on Miami Beach. Depend on traffic most are less than 10 minutes driving.

Also there are some properties just across Julia Tuttle Causeway (41st street) that 5 minutes causeway and 5 minutes Alton road gives you the same time frame. This small gated community called Morningside with a few opportunities as well.

If you want to search on your own go to my website http://www.veloire.com under PROPERTIES. If you have any question or need assistance to purchase I am more than happy to answer and help.

Preferred Member

The dog issue is complicated. It is illegal in Miami-Dade County to own or keep a Pit Bul. For some reason it appears to me that the type of breed I see the most are Pit Bulls. Especially on the mainland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast