Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 119
  1. #21
    Preferred Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    236
    Likes Received
    0

    Default

    Yea, most people don't know it well. If I say it's where Scott Peterson was from then they kind of know. Usually I just tell people Sacramento :-)

  2. #22
    Member Maria de los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    South Miami
    Posts
    9,256
    Likes Received
    194

    Default

    Hi twiggers, I can't emphasize enough how comfortable & pleasant & safe life is in South Miami for anyone working or studying at UM. I just don't think the beach is worth it and I've lived in both places for many years. Unless you want to be in the water everyday, it's way better to avoid traffic and just be close to campus. As is, you'll have to add an extra 10-15 minutes just to find a parking space during prime commuter hours (it's easier to find parking before 8 am and after 4 pm). I don't know what building you'll be working in or what kind of parking permit you will have, but if you choose the isolated commuter lot and take the shuttle, you'll have to factor that time in as well.

    The beach is always "there" for you when you want it on the weekends. Also, we have a beautiful bay front park called Matheson Hammock just minutes away, if you get a craving to be near the water.

    The only place I can think of where you'll find enough parking for three cars on the beach is mid-beach around 41st street, but 2 bedrooms will be harder to come by.

    Yes, generally west of 57th until 62nd ave is sketchy.

    I've used AT & T forever and have no complaints. They have a great unlimited data plan for an additional $20/month, which I use a lot for my social media work.

  3. #23
    Preferred Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    236
    Likes Received
    0

    Default

    thanks Maria. I'm not sure about the parking situation either. As a post-doc I should be treated the same as faculty/staff (I'll be in the psych department). Im excited to see how South Miami looks!!! I know we still have some time....but I'm still excited :-)

    And thanks for the info re AT&T. I'll probably be getting an iPhone so I think the unlimited data/email is worked into the monthly plan already (just have to add text messaging).

  4. #24
    Editor Matt Meltzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,738
    Likes Received
    847

    Default

    FPL does in fact do the budgeted billing thing here. Give them a call before you move and get that set up. it'll help, I'm sure.

    Modesto/Stockton? Ewwwwwwww. I'm from Sac originally. Once you get south of Elk Grove there ain't much till you get to LA.

  5. #25
    Preferred Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    236
    Likes Received
    0

    Default

    LOL Matt! Yea, I was kind of stuck. I did my undergrad a Davis but it was sooooooo expensive to live there and hubby's job was in Manteca....so we were stuck in Stockton. It sucked. About as much as where I live in Indiana....but at least there was no snow in CA LOL

    How did you end up in Florida Matt? How different do you think Miami is from the Sac-Town area? I guess I don't think it'll be THAT different from CA. I mean, both have lots of Spanish speakers, lots of immigration problems, really bad traffic and horrendous drivers.

  6. #26
    Editor Matt Meltzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,738
    Likes Received
    847

    Default

    No, it is not at ALL similar. I mean AT ALL.

    In CA, the Mexicans are typically your agricultural laborers and low-level service employees, correct? In Miami, Spanish speakers run EVERYTHING. From business to government, it is the dominant culture in South Florida. I mean, American culture still dominates the Central Valley, despite the large amounts of immigrants. In Miami, Americans are a minority in every sense of the word. Not just in numbers, but politically and economically as well. In Miami, we have to play be Latin rules. And white people are called Americans here, if that gives you any idea. This is not to say its unlivable, but very difficult if you are used to being of the dominant culture. I'm not gonna say I've gotten used to it or accepted it in 9 years, I just understand that it is how it works out here.

    I went to University of Miami for my undergrad and ended up staying. I moved out to Newport Beach for a while, decided SoCal was too cold, and came back.

  7. #27
    Preferred Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    236
    Likes Received
    0

    Default

    Matt,

    Thanks for the insight. You are absolutely right about the culture in CA and that balance between the Mexican immigrants & euro-americans. As a whole minorities (that encompasses all different races and ethnicities) were just breaking the 50% barrier when we left.

    I honestly don't think I'll have too much of a problem....I'm a born and raised Canadian....so we're used to just laying low. I don't know if that makes any sense. But I can tell you that I'm planning on breaking out the Rosetta Stone and brushing up on Spanish before we leave.I guess I'm just looking to live and fit in and not ruffle feathers. More like I'm a temporary visitor and will just play by the rules :-)

    My husband, on the other hand, may not adapt so well. I mean, when he worked in CA he dealt with spanish-speakers every single day (and he doesn't speak spanish), but they all spoke english as well. He might struggle in his job if the shop foremans don't speak english (he sells truck parts for big semi-trucks....so he spends his days in the shops selling them parts, but he typically deals with the foreman and not the guys wrenching).

    I definitely think it's going to be much harder on him, because he is the prototypical 'I was here first and you're the immigrant' kind of guy (not openly, but I know it would probably upset him if someone refused to speak English).

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    645
    Likes Received
    0

    Default

    Twiggers,

    As Maria said, if you have a car and plan to drive, do not live in South Beach. Especially if you are getting back any time after six. The units with parking are much more expensive, and usually you will not get three spaces unless you pay extra. With that being said, you would probably be driving around, minimum for 30 minutes looking for a spot. I had nights where I drove around for 2 hours looking for a spot.

    The City of South Miami is a great place to live, so is Coral Gables. I just finished with my masters at UM and my commute from Coral Gables was no longer than 10 minutes. I could have even ridden my bike around there. I also felt completely comfortable walking around at night, by myself. It's very safe.

    Also, in terms of parking at UM, if you are working 9-5, then you won't have problems. But everyone fights for parking and they oversell the spots. So if you leave campus with your car, and you are coming back, it's going to be a bit tough. If you live in the City of South Miami, you could probably take the metro and alleviate some of that stress (and it's cheaper than paying for parking)

  9. #29
    Preferred Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    236
    Likes Received
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xtina
    Twiggers,

    As Maria said, if you have a car and plan to drive, do not live in South Beach. Especially if you are getting back any time after six. The units with parking are much more expensive, and usually you will not get three spaces unless you pay extra. With that being said, you would probably be driving around, minimum for 30 minutes looking for a spot. I had nights where I drove around for 2 hours looking for a spot.

    The City of South Miami is a great place to live, so is Coral Gables. I just finished with my masters at UM and my commute from Coral Gables was no longer than 10 minutes. I could have even ridden my bike around there. I also felt completely comfortable walking around at night, by myself. It's very safe.

    Also, in terms of parking at UM, if you are working 9-5, then you won't have problems. But everyone fights for parking and they oversell the spots. So if you leave campus with your car, and you are coming back, it's going to be a bit tough. If you live in the City of South Miami, you could probably take the metro and alleviate some of that stress (and it's cheaper than paying for parking)
    Thank you so much for the info xtina. It's sounding more and more like South Beach might not work for us. At least with a regular duplex/apartment you can get at least 2 spaces and they are right there next to your apartment. I also worry about street parking because of vandalism/theft.

    UM parking sounds exactly like my undergrad....except they would valet park your car for you if all the parking was full (and for free....but given you were paying over $400/year for parking and there were no spots they had to do it).

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    645
    Likes Received
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twiggers
    Quote Originally Posted by xtina
    Twiggers,

    As Maria said, if you have a car and plan to drive, do not live in South Beach. Especially if you are getting back any time after six. The units with parking are much more expensive, and usually you will not get three spaces unless you pay extra. With that being said, you would probably be driving around, minimum for 30 minutes looking for a spot. I had nights where I drove around for 2 hours looking for a spot.

    The City of South Miami is a great place to live, so is Coral Gables. I just finished with my masters at UM and my commute from Coral Gables was no longer than 10 minutes. I could have even ridden my bike around there. I also felt completely comfortable walking around at night, by myself. It's very safe.

    Also, in terms of parking at UM, if you are working 9-5, then you won't have problems. But everyone fights for parking and they oversell the spots. So if you leave campus with your car, and you are coming back, it's going to be a bit tough. If you live in the City of South Miami, you could probably take the metro and alleviate some of that stress (and it's cheaper than paying for parking)
    Thank you so much for the info xtina. It's sounding more and more like South Beach might not work for us. At least with a regular duplex/apartment you can get at least 2 spaces and they are right there next to your apartment. I also worry about street parking because of vandalism/theft.

    UM parking sounds exactly like my undergrad....except they would valet park your car for you if all the parking was full (and for free....but given you were paying over $400/year for parking and there were no spots they had to do it).
    hahah I paid about $450 a year for parking and there was definitely not any valet service. Just door dings and annoying undergrads yelling at each other (yes i am a hater)

    Which school will you be working with?

  11. #31
    Senior Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    6,900
    Likes Received
    374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xtina
    Twiggers,

    As Maria said, if you have a car and plan to drive, do not live in South Beach. Especially if you are getting back any time after six. The units with parking are much more expensive, and usually you will not get three spaces unless you pay extra. With that being said, you would probably be driving around, minimum for 30 minutes looking for a spot. I had nights where I drove around for 2 hours looking for a spot.
    I think you could get away with one or two cars on South Beach, parking on the street. It just depends on what PART of South Beach you live in. I was on 7th and Michigan, and most of the time, I was able to park in front of my house. I did occasionally have problems coming back after 10 or 11 at night sometimes, but it wasn't un-doable, exactly.

    Even so, I think that given your situation, it would probably be more convenient for you to live closer to campus.

  12. #32
    Preferred Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    236
    Likes Received
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xtina
    Quote Originally Posted by twiggers
    Quote Originally Posted by xtina
    Twiggers,

    As Maria said, if you have a car and plan to drive, do not live in South Beach. Especially if you are getting back any time after six. The units with parking are much more expensive, and usually you will not get three spaces unless you pay extra. With that being said, you would probably be driving around, minimum for 30 minutes looking for a spot. I had nights where I drove around for 2 hours looking for a spot.

    The City of South Miami is a great place to live, so is Coral Gables. I just finished with my masters at UM and my commute from Coral Gables was no longer than 10 minutes. I could have even ridden my bike around there. I also felt completely comfortable walking around at night, by myself. It's very safe.

    Also, in terms of parking at UM, if you are working 9-5, then you won't have problems. But everyone fights for parking and they oversell the spots. So if you leave campus with your car, and you are coming back, it's going to be a bit tough. If you live in the City of South Miami, you could probably take the metro and alleviate some of that stress (and it's cheaper than paying for parking)
    Thank you so much for the info xtina. It's sounding more and more like South Beach might not work for us. At least with a regular duplex/apartment you can get at least 2 spaces and they are right there next to your apartment. I also worry about street parking because of vandalism/theft.

    UM parking sounds exactly like my undergrad....except they would valet park your car for you if all the parking was full (and for free....but given you were paying over $400/year for parking and there were no spots they had to do it).
    hahah I paid about $450 a year for parking and there was definitely not any valet service. Just door dings and annoying undergrads yelling at each other (yes i am a hater)

    Which school will you be working with?
    Oh wow, I am so spoiled right now where I am at. We pay $95/year for parking and there are tons of spots.

    I'll be working in the psych department....and I'm not sure if I'll qualify for faculty/staff parking...which means it might be free and better than the undergrad parking (I hope).

  13. #33
    Preferred Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    236
    Likes Received
    0

    Default

    Thanks Doug. We'll definitely have 3 cars at some point (right now it's possible that I might move alone and hubby stays up here to work and flies down every other week).....and I've seen people fight for street parking in Chicago and San Francisco....it's not pretty, and I don't think it's something that I would want to deal with on a day-to-day basis.


    Are there beach areas that are dog friendly that are close by?

  14. #34
    Senior Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    6,900
    Likes Received
    374

    Default

    Good question! I'll have to look into that. Dogs are supposedly prohibited on South Beach, but I still see them around, usually early in the morning.

  15. #35
    Preferred Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    236
    Likes Received
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    Good question! I'll have to look into that. Dogs are supposedly prohibited on South Beach, but I still see them around, usually early in the morning.
    Thanks Doug! My dog saw water once when we stopped in Biloxi, MI on a road trip....he didn't seem that impressed by it, but I figure it would be a good place to take him for a walk. I know there are some dog parks in some areas (I think Coconut Grove has one)....so I might be driving him around for his daily frisbee and fetch (this is currently one of the advantages of having a home with a yard....we'll definitely miss that).

  16. #36
    Member Maria de los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    South Miami
    Posts
    9,256
    Likes Received
    194

    Default

    Hi Twiggers! I was thinking about you yesterday. I left South Miami at 5:15 pm and it took me half an hour to get Downtown, even though traffic was flowing quite smoothly. (Coming the opposite direction was bumper to bumper.) I timed it so I could get an idea of what your commute would be like on US1 from UM going north. I didn't take the expressway, but it's a rough estimate. Had I continued on to the beach, it probably would've been another 15 minutes, even though it was perfectly pleasant as far as traffic flow was concerned.

    If you're in the psych dept, my guess is you might be close to the Arts & Sciences building by the library. There is a small faculty/staff lot just behind it. If you're not able to get faculty permit, you can always opt for a commuter one and then take the shuttle. It's cheaper and pretty convenient. There is a parking garage on the periphery of campus on Alhambra & Ponce that's also pretty convenient.

    Fighting for spaces sucks. I did the stalking parking dance for many years, but I always had a student permit because I was doctoral candidate while I was teaching. It was humiliating when you were fighting for spaces with your 18 year old student driving a Beamer!

    It really all depends on where you end up living as far as taking metrorail is concerned.

    The thing about Miami is that the weather is hot and humid and in the summer, we have afternoon thunderstorms. So even if campus is a walkable distance, if you're going to be in a situation where you need to arrive looking semi-professional and unsweaty, it's best to take a car.

    By the way, I don't know if you like to work out, but the UM gym is the bomb. Maybe I'll see you there!

  17. #37
    Preferred Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    236
    Likes Received
    0

    Default

    Hi Maria,

    Thanks so much for thinking of me on your drive! I really appreciate the information.

    I too, know how it feels being a doctoral student and sharing the parking lot with undergrads. I park next to Mercedes and Hummers every day....I am definitely not as wealthy as my undergrads (tuition here is 50K/year).

    I do work out...and that is definitely good to know about the gym! We have a pretty nice new gym here....but the NCAA athletes get the primo gym that we lowly peons are not allowed access too (they have a full indoor regulation track, whereas we only get a little 1/8 mile track).

    I'm definitely excited....only around 120 days to go. And wouldn't you know....I time my arrival for the start of hurricane season.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    645
    Likes Received
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles
    Hi Twiggers! I was thinking about you yesterday. I left South Miami at 5:15 pm and it took me half an hour to get Downtown, even though traffic was flowing quite smoothly. (Coming the opposite direction was bumper to bumper.) I timed it so I could get an idea of what your commute would be like on US1 from UM going north. I didn't take the expressway, but it's a rough estimate. Had I continued on to the beach, it probably would've been another 15 minutes, even though it was perfectly pleasant as far as traffic flow was concerned.

    If you're in the psych dept, my guess is you might be close to the Arts & Sciences building by the library. There is a small faculty/staff lot just behind it. If you're not able to get faculty permit, you can always opt for a commuter one and then take the shuttle. It's cheaper and pretty convenient. There is a parking garage on the periphery of campus on Alhambra & Ponce that's also pretty convenient.

    Fighting for spaces sucks. I did the stalking parking dance for many years, but I always had a student permit because I was doctoral candidate while I was teaching. It was humiliating when you were fighting for spaces with your 18 year old student driving a Beamer!

    It really all depends on where you end up living as far as taking metrorail is concerned.

    The thing about Miami is that the weather is hot and humid and in the summer, we have afternoon thunderstorms. So even if campus is a walkable distance, if you're going to be in a situation where you need to arrive looking semi-professional and unsweaty, it's best to take a car.

    By the way, I don't know if you like to work out, but the UM gym is the bomb. Maybe I'll see you there!
    The UM gym is awesomeness!

    Maria, when do you work out there? I am usually there in the evenings...

  19. #39
    Member Maria de los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    South Miami
    Posts
    9,256
    Likes Received
    194

    Default

    xtina, OMG, then we have probably seen each other. I am the big white whale in the locker room. Just kidding!!! :-)

    I took a break from working out over the holidays because I injured my hip on the adductor machine. But I started going again this week. I usually go after 4 pm when parking is free in the adjacent lot.

    We should say hello ... I'll PM you my mobile.

  20. #40
    Editor Matt Meltzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,738
    Likes Received
    847

    Default

    The UM gym was the reason I decided to go to school there. Quite possibly the best thing about the university since Tad Foote left.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •