Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Preferred Member

Hey Sungal,

Thanks! She mentioned that to me, but I had actually declined because I just wanted to deal with one person to simplify things. I just figured that she has access to MLS, just like anyone else....but she just doesn't "know" the area that well. If that makes any sense.....I guess I thought it would be a bit insulting to her!

The only area she is unfamiliar with is S. Miami....the rest of our areas she is good in (Brickell, beaches, Coconut Grove, Gables).

I'm also surprised at the limited number of properties that are out there that meet our requirements....but I guess we're being picky too. Craigslist is always flooded with apartments....but not much in our areas that fit our requirements.

Twiggers, I know a really good realtor who specializes in Miami Shores, but ... she can probably refer me to someone who specializes in South Miami/North Kendall. I'll PM you the details when I hear from her.

Not to take away from the person you're working with. It's just best to be able to scope out a wider area if you have the time and ability to choose where to live. It's all good.

My recommended northern and most waterfront boundary for UM would probably be Brickell.

Preferred Member

Hi Maria....

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

I did get sent several Brickell properties....and the realtor seemed really eager to show those to me! I think I just have this urge to do the 'beach living' thing once in my life....if that makes any sense whatsoever! Realistically, it might not be the best thing...but I keep thinking that I should at least look!

I'm trying to narrow down the list of properties....I went from about 40 to about 15 and need to narrow even more. I wasn't overly impressed by the Gables/Coconut Grove selection either. There was one building in Coral Gables that kept coming up...Shamrock something or other.

Shamrock? Do you have an address for that? I'm really curious (PM me if you like), I thought that was a corporate rental company and not a *real* living community.

Preferred Member

NO problem! It comes up on the MLS listing as: 2280 SW 32 AV, MIAMI

I've been getting a lot of Brickell listings.....but I don't really know what to avoid in that area. A couple places I inquired about and the realtor was good about telling me to scratch it off the list because it wasn't the greatest area.

Twiggers, that address is for Shamrock Corporate Housing and features furnished apartments for temporary or extended stays. It seems more like one of those live-in hotels for business travelers or families on long vacations ... check the website and you'll see.

Preferred Member

Hmmmm....I'm wondering if she closely vetted the properties or was just compiling a huge list and then having me narrow down and then she would narrow from there? Weird!

I must say....I am a total control freak....and we're 8 days away from arriving and I don't have a solid plan for viewing properties yet! I'm going through everything she has sent....and then am going to try and do a bit of digging myself....although anything with a realtor should be on MLS!

She should not be emailing you 40 properties in one batch! I think you mentioned you need lots of parking spaces. If realtors enter your exact crtiteria in the computer, you miss out on a lot. For example, if three car garages are not the norm in Coconut Grove, she needs to tell you that and suggest you park one car on the street. Since it's a renters market, have her show you properties that are $300-$400+ above your price range, since you can negotiate.

I find it hard to believe you didn't see any nice listings in Coconut Grove/ Coral Gables..those are two very nice towns! If you're not getting a good feeling from her, just go with someone else. She hasn't really done that much-just emailed you properties with an MLS search..

When I was a realtor, I was the one who sifted through properties, and based on my knowledge, expertise, and feel for the client, emailed them no more than 8 listings. I understand you're looking in many towns but 40 is way too many..

Preferred Member

Hey sungal,

Thanks for the advice! I capped the listings at $1500....mostly because I am so worried about falling in love with something at $1700-1800 and then not being able to afford it. Our max is really $1400 and we figured with $1500 we could negotiate down a little.

I am going to email her again.....in fact, I was looking through the listings again today and mapped one of them and it was nowhere near where we wanted to be.

She hasn't sent us anything for Sobe or mid beach.....I"m not sure if it's the price, or our requirements that aren't generating anything.

Preferred Member

Question all.....That downtown/midtown area...what is that like? I've been coming across listings on 2nd Ave. NE.....Design District I think. Is this a bad area?

What are the boundaries for Brickell?

Midtown is one of the up and coming areas in Miami which is good and yet still spotty. Design District is nice, has upscale retail furniture and design stores, plus Michael's, one of Miami's trendiest restaurants. Midtown has a large retail complex with a Target and other chain stores. I hear the midtown residential towers themselves are nice, too. However, I would not be caught dead walking around there at night and even during the day I'd be looking over my shoulder. It's right around the train tracks, some sketchy parts of Biscayne. It's not bad if you want to go in and out your building with your car, but it's not really a walking-friendly neighborhood at all ... at least not for now.

That being said, the location is pretty good. You're right off the I95 expressway, which you could take to UM and the causeway to the beach is right there also.

It's kind of hard to explain how weird that part of Miami is. Just a couple of blocks east and north of midtown you have some wealthy private gated communities on the bay and a full-scale supermarket. And just a couple of blocks west you get into Wynwood, which is an up and coming arts district, but still very ghetto and industrial. (I've found hypodermic needles on the ground during the monthly art walk and have been harassed by "locals" to get free public parking spaces for tips.) So you see, you have to deal with pockets of neighborhoods in that whole midtown/Biscayne corridor.

If living in a totally walkable neighborhood 24/7 is your thing, I would not recommend midtown.

Brickell boundary = anything south of the mouth of the Miami river all the way to the entrance of Key Biscayne and east of South Miami Avenue (2nd bridge on the river). I don't know if this is how a realtor would define it or if it is technically a municipal boundary, but I do know all the nice buildings are around there.

Preferred Member

Thanks Maria! So pretty much anything in that downtown/midtown/design district area is a bit sketchy?

If I remember correctly....the entire Brickell area is pretty good....right?

Thank you again Maria....when I get down there I will have to buy you a drink (or two) for all of your help!

Yes, twiggers, for me anyway, Brickell is definitely the nicest area (not to mention most beautiful). I would live there in a heartbeat!

As for the other areas, it would really depend on the particular building and what is immediately surrounding me. Seeing it in person will really help you make a decision!

Thank you very much for the drink offer! It is my pleasure to help our members.

Preferred Member

I am so excited to finally get down there! I have been scouring Craigslist and found a couple Sobe places reasonably priced (who knows if they'll be there next week)....also, found a couple places that I am not really sure if they are Brickell or not....they are on the border I guess? A couple are on S. Miami, below the mouth of Miami River. There was also another one on SW 2nd that was below the mouth of the river....that's the one I'm kind of worried about.....any ideas?

Hopefully there will be a meet up in late May/early June!!! Or I'll just create one....and I can thank you in person!

New User

Hi Twiggers - 1st up thanks for all the information you have here. I need to move to Miami within a months notice and all your information here has been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO useful!

Brickell seems to be a good location for me - will be at the Medical campus. How about Brickell Keys? Anyone any thoughts? Maria?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aptsearch
    Hi Twiggers - 1st up thanks for all the information you have here. I need to move to Miami within a months notice and all your information here has been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO useful!

Brickell seems to be a good location for me - will be at the Medical campus. How about Brickell Keys? Anyone any thoughts? Maria?

Thanks
    The Brickell Keys are nice, there are always alot of joggers in that area. And there should be availability because there's tons of high rises in that area...

Hi aptsearch! Brickell Key is a somewhat exclusive and private enclave on a man-made spoil island at the mouth of the river. As Christina already mentioned, it has numerous high-rises and also a small number of offices, a hotel (the fancy Mandarin Oriental) and some small gourmet markets and businesses that service the island. There is a gorgeous walk all around the island, lined by palm trees with benches to sit and enjoy views of the bay and the breezes.

I have not lived there, but know so people who have, and they enjoyed it. There is not a heck of a lot going on, but Mary Brickell Village is very close by with restaurants and cafes.

I assume you mean the University of Miami medical campus, right? That's not a particularly long commute by car. Also, Brickell Key is a short walk to the 8th street metromover station. You can take that to Government Center metrorail and from there take the train to Civic Center, which puts you right in the middle of the medical complex.

Hope this helps.

gr82beam

As it is for every city around the world,

u get what u pay for...

For Mi,I think the barrier for quality is the 2K/month mark.

If u break that barrier,u enter a territory with really good family homes,with a pool...

Watching the sky,enjoying the sun,in your pool,on January's warm days,while half of the Americans shovel snow,is really worth 2k/month...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456