Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Doug

Thread: How to get Extra (movie) work in Miami?

Default How to get Extra (movie) work in Miami?

Hey all!

Hope everyone is having a good start in the new year! I was hoping to get some help with finding opportunities to be an extra in a movie. It's something I've always just wanted to do and know there's lots of movies filmed in Miami. Where do I look for extra postings? Can anyone guide me?

(I read the article written by Doug, but that's mainly for career-seeking actors.)

Thank you!

Hey traveller, that casting director also does extra casting. Nonetheless, I have a sinking feeling that if you were to call and ask, they would just tell you to "do your homework"! But it's worth a shot...

Also, check craigslist under tv/modeling jobs and also gigs.

Thanks Doug! I will look into it.

Cool! Let us know if you find out something good. I'm sure there are a lot of people here that would enjoy making a few extra bucks with the stars!
    TheNorwegian likes this.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Traveller, from my experience, Miami is an easy city to break into the movie industry ; compared to LA, New York, and Chicago. The talent pool is small, and the agents and casting directors are more accessible.

Do you have a headshot and resume?

I think when we have big shoots (Miami Vice, Marley & Me), it's easy to be an extra; I remember seeing call-outs in the paper.

I'm not sure there's any major motion film shooting right now, but maybe you can get something in an independent project, or Burn Notice...

Thank you everyone, for your input.

Doug, I will post my progress as I go.

Gus, I dont have a head shot yet, but will be getting one soon. Regarding the resume, i have no acting experience thus no resume :(

Tere, i'll look into Burn Notice, really good show too.

Will update you all later.

Aaaawww... I remember my acting resume. It said things like, "Once Upon a Mattress: Bird"

:)

just so you know Traveller,

We have quite a few theater companies in South Florida that might be needing actors, Coconut Grove Playhouse, GableStage, Miami Light Project, I think UM has a theater company too.

Gus

Tere, M.M, thanks for mentioning the theater scene. I've been in a few productions, myself. Doing plays is an excellent way to get your feet wet.

You can stay up-to-date on what's going on around town by following the South Florida Theatre Scene blog.

Good luck, and break a leg!

New User

Question Re: How to get Extra (movie) work in Miami?

Hello. I have a similar question, so I post it here.
    I live in Norway (Norwegian resident), and I've been working as an extra in Oslo for 7 years. For the last 2 years I've been doing it as a professional, getting 2-3 jobs a week (mostly because I know where to find the jobs and how to apply).

I have a portfolio of professionally taken photos and a large resume (in Norwegian, of course...) and I really enjoy working as an extra. In Norway, it pays really badly, but I still do it mostly because it's fun and I meet a lot of nice people.

I have a friend who lives in Miami, and I want to go to visit her maybe one month in a year, as a holiday (I'm really sick and tired of the Norwegian "summer"-weather as well...). During my stay I would like to work as an extra - to make some money (the travel itself is not cheap), and to experience how it is to work as an extra in Miami as well.

My question is, what should I do before I travel? Do I need working permission, and how can I get it? Do I have to contact an agency? Can I translate my resume myself, or do I need a professional to do this? Where can I find jobs? Is there any website where I can find casting calls etc (in Norway we have statist.no for example)? And how will I get paid (I have a Norwegian bank account...)? Is it possible to do this full-time if I want (I've heard that from another Norwegian )?

Thank you
    Last edited by TheNorwegian; 07-18-2012 at 04:19 AM.

Gus

Default Re: How to get Extra (movie) work in Miami?

Hi Norweigen, welcome to Miami Beach 411. Thanks for posting your question.

I think it's OK to translate the resume yourself. I used to be an actor, so if you want me to take a look at your resume, after you translate it, I would be happy to proofread it. I also have a friend who's been getting some work in Miami via the web. I'll ask her the name of the site for you.

As far as finding jobs, most likely, you'll have to wait until you get here, because talent agent want to meet their clients in person.

When it comes to getting paid, you'll need to have a way to cash, or deposit a US check. It also takes a few weeks to get paid, after the shoot.

You should make a list of all the talent agencies in Miami, and be prepared to try and set a meeting with each of them. Last time I checked, many of the offices were not located in Miami Beach. The good news is, from my experience, Miami agents are more receptive to meeting new people, compared to LA and NY.

Lots of the work here is swimsuit and glamour related, so it helps to be thin and in shape.

Do you have a professional headshot to show the agents?

New User

Thank you for your reply.
    By headshot, do you mean photos? Yes, I have many good photos. And I am actually thin and in shape

Gus

Your welcome.

Yes, I meant photos. Most agents will want you to have an 8 1/2 x 11" black and white head shot, or a shot from the waist up. However, the friend I mentioned, who's been getting work from the web says, the site she's is using allows you to posts color and black and white pictures.

I think every telenovela in the world is shot here, and they are always looking for extras. I remember there being fliers posted on the door of the building I used to live in in South Beach asking for people to do it. I'm not sure if the Norweigan look would work for Spanish TV, but who knows. Point is there's no shortage of jobs for extras here. It's just a matter of finding them. And getting permission to work in this country.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Your welcome.

Yes, I meant photos. Most agents will want you to have an 8 1/2 x 11" black and white head shot, or a shot from the waist up. However, the friend I mentioned, who's been getting work from the web says, the site she's is using allows you to posts color and black and white pictures.
    Could you please send me a link to this site?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    I think every telenovela in the world is shot here, and they are always looking for extras. I remember there being fliers posted on the door of the building I used to live in in South Beach asking for people to do it. I'm not sure if the Norweigan look would work for Spanish TV, but who knows. Point is there's no shortage of jobs for extras here. It's just a matter of finding them. And getting permission to work in this country.
    I don't actually look Norwegian, my skin is a bit darker and my hair is brown, so who knows, I could maybe look Spanish with the right make-up

I have never gotten any work as an extra, but I have been offered tickets as a seat filler. When places want to look full for a premier or something or a less popular concert or show I have gotten free tickets that way. And sometimes you come out in pictures as an audience member.

I wonder if the talent agencies would require Norwegian to fill out tax forms though saying he has the ability to work in the US. Norwegian, since you like being an extra for fun, you might want to check craigslist for unpaid roles. Anyway, keep us up to date on any movies that are being shot in Miami!

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    I wonder if the talent agencies would require Norwegian to fill out tax forms though saying he has the ability to work in the US. Norwegian, since you like being an extra for fun, you might want to check craigslist for unpaid roles. Anyway, keep us up to date on any movies that are being shot in Miami!
    Last year, I had an unpaid role in a movie made by students, but that's not what I do just for fun on a daily basis. I started taking extra-jobs when I lost my job and could not find a new one. I was also a student. But as I mentioned before, this kind of work is often underpaid. Some times I spend the whole day on set (8-9 h), getting paid for only 4 hours according to the Norwegian standards. But I normally don't do this for free. I guess that if I'm not a US resident, I can only take that kind of underpaid jobs, is that right? So I won't have to fill out tax forms or have a permission to work...

Gus

Regarding the casting website I mentioned, it doesn't look very legitimate, so I now going to post the link. The website looks like a lead generation site to sell classes and pictures, playing on the emotions of actors with a dream. If an agent or casting director is strongly pushing you to take classes, or shoot with a specific photographer, you probably want to move on to someone else. However, there is a casting director in Miami named, Laurie Wyman who offers very good classes, and is also a top casting agent.

To find a list of industry professionals, try searching Miami Beach 411 for "talent agents" and "casting directors." We have yellow page listings for both categories.