Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    If your heart's in it, the details will fall into place easily enough.
    Doug, I love you, but it's attitudes like that which lead to people flat broke, packing up their belongings from a shitty monthly rental somewhere near 25th and Collins, and hightailing it back to Michigan before they have to pay their parking tickets. Point it, living in Miami is not a religion, so you have to put things together. And it still may not work.

I think it's important to optimistic but also a realist. The realist in me is asking-will i have fun, will i make friends, will my apt be too claustrophobic? Talking to everyone on this board makes me say yes to the first two questions..the last i think i can solve w a 4 month lease.

anyway, i'm coming down with enough money to last about 2 months without working. i definately want to work so I can meet people and have spending money. i'm also moving to a furnished place so all i bring are clothes,pics of friends/family, laptop, ipod, camera (to take pics of new friends, maybe you matt ;), and a beachtowel!

i would certainly get an apt i like, in location i like. i won't have any parking tixx because my car will be in nj..anyway i live in a place now with the worst parking in nj..actually cheaper to take taxi's here. to be honest, i never drive anywhere for fear of losing my space..lol

need to prep for my job interview now! part of me wants to get it but part of me wants to live in the american rivera! (saw the city tour video today)

what do you think the average hostess/waitress makes per night? i think hostess makes $8-$12, any insight as to waitress?

Sungal-
    Dont know if this helps, i dug up an old post Gus had some good info you may find helpful?
    Waitress Jobs

Hey, I am so loving this thread! Because Doug mentioned the supermarket on Meridan and 6th, so I went to explore last night to find it... thank you so much for the tip Doug as it is 2 blocks from my house and it was fab! I had no idea it was there and I've been miserably doing the publix run on the bus for everything not in CVS and so this little gem will save me from that fate.
    I am now even more of a MB411 addict now, as I have fresh fruit in my kitchen :-)

Sungal, I'm a little late to this thread, but let me put it to you this way: I moved from mainland Miami to the beach by myself and if that seems funny for me to say, trust me, it's a whole different world on the mainland. I transitioned from grad school to a job eventually and yes I made friends. It didn't really matter that I speak Spanish, because most of my friends were actually not Hispanic.

After you get settled you'll need to make sure you get active in something. I'd encourage you to join Twitter and Facebook too. You will meet a lot of locals that way if you start following locals.

I'm excited to hear about your interview. Hope it goes well!

Quote Originally Posted by Jess
    Hey, I am so loving this thread! Because Doug mentioned the supermarket on Meridan and 6th, so I went to explore last night to find it... thank you so much for the tip Doug as it is 2 blocks from my house and it was fab! I had no idea it was there and I've been miserably doing the publix run on the bus for everything not in CVS and so this little gem will save me from that fate.
    I am now even more of a MB411 addict now, as I have fresh fruit in my kitchen :-)
    Publix is coming soon to 6th and Alton so a small cart will get you home with all your publix goodies without needing a bus.

Even better! Meridian store only missed 2 things I get in publix, I'll be totally sorted now! When is it opening though? Is it that building site we currently have? Anything else interesting opening I should know about!?

Hi Jess, I'm glad you enjoyed finding the Meridan Market. I was in and out of that place almost every day when I lived there!

Glad is an understatement, I was sooo happy to find it! Did the big shop for fresh food thanking you for doing all the exploration work for me ;-P

Quote Originally Posted by Jess
    Even better! Meridian store only missed 2 things I get in publix, I'll be totally sorted now! When is it opening though? Is it that building site we currently have? Anything else interesting opening I should know about!?
    I heard a Panera Bread which I really like, Best Buy, etc., its built to house about 4 big stores plus a bunch on 5th and Publix on 6th. I think it opens next year.

I hope that doesn't have a negative impact on the parking in the neighborhood. That was one of the few fairly easy places to find parking!

I love the little Meridian Market. Another one we use is the one up on Washington near Espanola. They have a good selection and are actually closer to where we live now.

I will probably boycott that thing they are building on the corner of 5th and Alton. It is a horrible monstrosity. Hopefully it won't be as ugly as I think it will be, but it obstructs the beautiful view of the city coming over the bridge. And generic big-box corporate drone stores really do not fit into our funky small-town, creative vibe on the beach.

Support your local businesses.

I agree. South Beach is so overbuilt already, we don't need to compound it. There are already two Publix (Publi?) that are easy to get to. I guess it's too late now, though.

Publi!! :lol:

Didn't mean to start a debate, Doug is still my hero for finding me the market on 6th...but it didn't have tofu, so I shall visit publix when it opens...sorry...! You have to admit it's a help for all us SoFi people to have some options other than La Playa, which is a ok but very $$$.

to Sungal,

There is a lot of stuff to do in SOBE, you name it: clubbing, drinking, dancing, shopping, biking, swimming, sun tanning, kayaking, sailing, beach volleyball, yoga, capoeira, tango, restaurants. In short, there are plenty of options.

I would advise that you join a gym, take a few fun classes like painting or sculpturing (the local community college is pretty cheap) go to meetup.com.
    Eventually you'll meet like-minded people.

Hmmm..shopping, drinking, suntanning, and yoga sound great. If only I were a trust fund baby and I could just do those, oh and pool-hopping (read Doug's article). You're such a great writer Doug-have you ever thought of being a travel writer? You wood be great for Time Out Miami!

My interview today was dissapointing. It's not the exatly what I had in mind. I really feel like just declining if they offer it to me. In fact, I think I will email my miami realtor now and make an offer!!!!

Oh, Jess, can you maybe tell me a bit about the apt that's available? A realtor had one on craigslist-furnished one bed at the decoplage for $1200. I think it's too good to be true (I heard the building was ok), and of course never got a return call.

sungal, please write them a letter and tell them! ha ha

That would be a cool job!

I'm sorry your interview didn't go so well, but there are plenty of other places to look. I was just reading that Miami's unemployment rate is about half of what it is in Orlando!

Sungal, we just moved into the decoplage, and it is a great building. Mind you it is the only building i have live in on south beach. I can check the board if you want... There are quite a few for rent (studios). The application takes 3-5 days to approve, we did not know so had to pay for the rush job.

ps. where is capoeira on the beach???

Yes, please check if you can..would prefer furnished one bed, but will do studio..thx!!

Assuming the 1200 is your target budget, it will likely be a furnished studio, but will check later :)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast