Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try out the bootcamp class, yoga in the park, and I will be walking everywhere...

But that Publix/Best Buy/Target thing isn't open yet, correct? To get to that stuff (aside from Publix) you'll need to go over to the mainland. Which is not a cheap cabride.

Matt, it isn't open yet and you're right, it's not a cheap cab ride, but there's always the bus. I know there's a straight line bus route from 41st street but not sure what it's called.

Or you could just avoid Target things on general principle...

Quote Originally Posted by sungal
    I got the apartment!! Just need to do all the paperwork tomorrow! As soon as I get there I'm heading straight to the beach!
    Heh, this is exactly what we did when we first moved here!

Congratulations on the move, I think you will like it. If you need some people to hang out with, just send me a PM and we will be happy to invite you along. We are always going out to all sorts of different events and we have a nice crew that we usually roll with.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    Or you could just avoid Target things on general principle...
    This is a great point.

Note that there are a few different hardware stores for household goods on South Beach. The Macy's carries some homegoods. There are tons of furniture stores, but most of them are boutique, designer stores, so they are not cheap. But, really, the need to go to Target when living on South Beach is exceedingly rare. I think we go to that new one maybe 2 or 3 times a year, and even then could probably do without.

Thanks for the invite coach,..can't wait for the beach.
    i will need target for clothes hangers, household cleaners, laundry det, maybe cooking utensils, beach chair, etc

everyone where i live loves target..we generally hate wall mart!

There are some stores on SoBe but they are WAY more expensive than Target. Expect to pay double for things at the Ace Hardware on Alton or the one on 41st street. After Macy's remodeled, there home goods section practically disappeared. The selection of merchandise is very limited now. For people setting up house, Target or Kmart is an absolute necessity.

Sungal, there's a Pier 1 on the corner on 5th street. Nice store for kitchenwares, furniture & house accessories, but also pricier than Target.

Having just made the move recently, I went to Macys downtown on Flagler. Much easier than attempting Target and it's right next to where the C bus runs to. Don't know if Target is better for prices, I'm sure it is, but when you are having to carry it home, cheap is dear!!! And that Target up over the bridge on 41st feels far away, especially when you are on the bus with bags of heavy household stuff.

If you have your heart set on Target (completely understandable, I just had major retail therapy there) then maybe you should splurge and rent a car. You could get one in the AM and then return it at night. Plus, if you go through the week, you can technically park in zone two for a few hours without getting ticketed....

That's an idea...but honestly dealing with roads, bridges, and unfarmiliar directiions seems like a hassle. My apt will be fully furnished. Thanks for the pier one idea- I actually have a storage space filled with Pier one stuff from my other apt! if i decide i love miami and move to a one bed, I'll certainly move it down..

Well at this point my "contract to lease" is fully executed. I signed the lease and believe it or not I am waiting for some of my neighbors to come home to see if i can use them as "neighbor refrences"..oh yeah, the condo assoc wants 5 of those, not to mention 5 "character refrences". they also asked for all my credit cards and account numbers, how much i owe, other loans, and my bank account info and account numbers!!!

I am moving into a very beautiful but small art deco building. They need to get over themselves! This is not a pre-war doorman building on Central Park filled with exclusive residents..

Well, I'm going to write them a friendly letter stating I am uncomfortable giving out my account numbers. I'm photocopying bank statements and then just crossing out personal info with a black marker. Hopefully I won't piss them off.

Is this the process all of you had to go through?

Hell, no! I dealt with a private landlord and just filled out a very basic application with a few past landlords, credit and work info (which he didn't even verify). No account numbers! Those condo associations can be very anal!

I mean, how many people in the Miami area even KNOW their neighbors, let alone their phone numbers?! That's crazy. I only met mine the other day because his dog got away and I caught her!

Ya that sounds very odd to ask for all your accounts and loans and etc numbers... very fishy, i can see maybe 3 references etc but bank accounts nono!

My friend was recently a victim of identity theft and she had to do sooo much work and running around to change her info. Yeah, the condo assoc will have my name, social sec #, and address. So they can easily run my credit. I mean, why on earth would they need my account numbers?

Anyway it's a 4 page application. I took a break from phoning character refrences and harrasing my neighbors. I was almost ready to ask the doormen in my building. I'm pretty chatty with them. Tomorrow I finish and just type up the friendly letter to them. God, I hope they don't read this board!

Then everything is going in the mail by 1pm...

And then all I can do is wait.....I hope this is all worth it. It better be at least 77 degress, sunny, and a good beach day when I get there.

Sungal...when exactly are you moving down? I'm from Minnesota and just signed lease paper's for a condo on Washington Ave and will be leaving MN on Friday, Feb 13th. I know, Friday the 13th...kinda creepy. Anyway, going to the beach with my dog is the first thing on my to do list! PM me and I'll give you my phone number...maybe a celebration cocktail or two is in the works:)

Sungal, that is way too much info to give out. I have never had to do so much. 3 references, ss# and that's it. If you are going to give them any money down, make sure you have a signed contract first.

OK, my lease and application are in the mail..paid extra for the condo board to expidite their review. I guess I find out Monday the latest!!!

I'm so excited!! Hey Lacye, yes it would be fun to go to the beach with you and your doggie. What kind do you have? And yes we'll have to celebrate our moves. I'm trying not to drink so much these days but I suppose I could go for a Mango Delano- vodka, mango puree, and pineapple juice-the perfect beach cocktail.Mmmm...

I checked the weather down there and it's kinda cool, no? But here it's snowing now.

Hey do girls wear the tall cute rainboots down there when it's raining? Deciding whether to pack mine.

When it rains here it RAINS!!! But it's kind of fun, or better than the London drizzle that I am used to. I'd say pack them, you'll probably regret it if you don't :lol:

I agree with Jess. Pack them. It's important to be prepared for the summer rains in South Beach. It usually takes all the fashionistas by surprise and the collective mascara washes into the storm drains and out to sea, where it upsets the fish.

Yeah, and I think I'll bring a long wool coat, some Spring jackets, and maybe 3 sweaters/sweatshirts. My apt does have decent closet space. Do girls wear the Ugg boots in Miami, during the cooler weather? I know in general they're really not stylish anymore but they are very warm. What about the equestrian style boots (like over the skinny jeans)? Or what about tall but scrunchy leather boots(again w the skinny jeans)? I just want to determine what to bring and what to put in storage. Do people really wear boots in Miami? Looks like I might be flying down now...grr..so I need to edit..

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast