Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Will I have fun in Sobe moving there by myself?

Everytime I've visited Sobe I've had an amazing time. 2 times with girlfriends- went to pool, beach, out to eat, and enjoyed the nightlife tremendously.When I was with my girlfriends we met some really great people (tourists and locals). Another time I went with a boyfriend and we stayed at one of the top, trendy hotels. I left the hotel only once. Of course, I enjoyed South Beach so much all 3 times.

I'm thinking of moving there and did an exploratory trip earlier this week. As I got on the plane I felt like I would definately sign a lease. I was so excited. I met w a Realtor and found a great apt, but that's about it. I was planning to "apply in person" at some of the restaurants for either a hostess or waitress position, but then I felt that I wasn't getting a good feeling about moving down. The weather was terrible, and all I saw were older tourists and european couples. I was also floored by the number of gay men. Not that I have any problem with the 3 types of people I mentioned, but I really didn't see any straight, white, local guys. I did walk around mostly touristy places, but one night went to dinner on Alton where supposedly all the locals live, and nothing! Is it because I went early in the week and the locals only go out on the weekends?

I really love the walkability area and the idea that I can go to the beach most days. I'm really just worried that I won't make any friends, have any fun, or most importantly be happy just hanging out by myself. I feel like my chances of finding a local boyfriend are slim. And if I do make friends, they will most likely be a tourist and then be gone.

I would definately be taking a risk moving down- what if my job stinks, or I don't make friends? Has anyone else moved down solo and had a good/bad experience??

I need to decide soon, as the apt may not last so long. I'm thinking of asking for a 3 month lease, just to test the waters..

Hi Sungal, there is certainly no guarantee that you'll move to South Beach and like it. But even if you do take the plunge and later decide that it's not for you, it still won't have been a waste of time, because you will have had the experience, and learned from it.

South Beach is an incredibly diverse place, and if you're at all put off by European couples, gay people, or middle aged tourists, you probably will feel out of place. Most of the gay crowd has actually moved up to Broward County, though, so if what you saw seemed like a lot now, I can't imagine what you would have thought a few years back. These days, there is more of a hip-hop vibe...to its credit, though, I wouldn't say that it suffers from a lack of straight local guys...not necessarily white as in waspy, but waspy isn't really what an exotic place like South Beach is all about. You can find them in the clubs following behind the sexy girls in packs, a la Night at the Roxbury.

It is true that living in South Beach is very different than visiting it. It is a bit of a move-or-be-moved, every-man-for-himself kind of place. It's hard to build relationships of trust with people, whether it's friends, work situations, or getting your car fixed. I moved there and left a year later...but I don't regret living there, and I would possibly do it again, if I was in the right situation.

Thanks for your reply. Did you have fun living there? How soon until you had friends to go out with? I guess I'm just curious of how you meet local people. I'm just afraid of moving there and having no one to enjoy all that south beach has to offer.

You couldn't find any white guys in Miami? Join the club, sungal, join the club. This is why I love living in Miami, when it comes to White girls they're as relieved to find me as I am to find them.

If you feel like you may have a hard time here, though, don't move. Miami is a hard place to live, and if you're low on money and don't have friends it can be downright depressing. There are ways to make friends, but you may find it cuturally difficult because American culture is not the dominant culture here. It is moreso in the Beach, but still not like whatever city you are coming from.

There aren't a bevvy of what you'd call "locals" in South Beach. Mostly transplants who decided that living in the Beach was what moving to Miami was about, or long-term tourists who have no plans of staying here more than a year or so. Most people I know "from" Miami Beach live north of South Beach.

As far as making friends, we have a lovely guide to that here.....

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/in...aking-friends/

Quote Originally Posted by sungal
    Thanks for your reply. Did you have fun living there? How soon until you had friends to go out with? I guess I'm just curious of how you meet local people. I'm just afraid of moving there and having no one to enjoy all that south beach has to offer.
    I did have fun living there. It was a beautiful, tropical setting, walkable, and there were interesting people from all over the world.

I never really got into the club thing. For me, going out was more about finding a nice place to eat on Lincoln Road or Espanola Way, or striking up a casual conversation with someone on the boardwalk. This site was actually my main means of social contact. And I also joined a nondenominational group in South Miami that had music and potlucks every week called SOUL. My friend Dave was there with me, so things never got that lonely, but I would have to say that Miami and the Beach's main weakness in terms of living is the difficulty in making lasting friendships. But if you think about it, it's getting like that everywhere now. I live in a little town called DeLand 4 hours north of Miami now, and I've only made a few friends here. People go online to talk about things these days. Unless you move back to the town you grew up in, it's getting harder to connect with people everywhere. Maybe if you got a job working with a group of people, it would be easier. I mostly worked at home. You could also do volunteering, look around on meetup.com, or join a yoga group. I'm sure if you're young and single, it's probably easy enough to connect...

Hi Doug,

thanks for the meetup.com tip. There are about 30 different groups where I live right now, that I never knew about. I read the moving from michigan posts and read what Jake did on his exploratory trip, and I can see why he had a much better time.
    He made friends- although tourists, to hang out with for part of his trip, and he kept super busy.

I did appreciate your insight as to why there aren't so many locals. I think I would really fit into the "move to miami for one year". I guess that's what I'm losing sight of- the fact that if I don't like it in 6 months-viola! I'm free to move elsewhere. I do plan on taking a service indusrty job- mostly to have fun and meet people. Most likely hostessing or waitressing.. I do have enough money to last 2 months without working. I read some guidebooks, as well as this site, and I was convinced you have to look like a supermodel to waitress. After my visit, I don't think I'd have a problem getting a job. (they were less glamarous than i expected. Although I saw 2 that had to be models.)

I guess I would be really taking a risk by moving down.Has anyone on this site discussed the possibility of moving, then actually moved down, and wrote about their experience?

Quick question: I won't be bringing my car. I know there's a wild oats on 10th and Alton, and a Publix further away. Are there any little bodegas/grocery stores that sell a tapered down selection of groceries? They usually have fruits and veg displayed along outside of the store..

Quote Originally Posted by sungal

I guess I would be really taking a risk by moving down.Has anyone on this site discussed the possibility of moving, then actually moved down, and wrote about their experience?

Quick question: I won't be bringing my car. I know there's a wild oats on 10th and Alton, and a Publix further away. Are there any little bodegas/grocery stores that sell a tapered down selection of groceries? They usually have fruits and veg displayed along outside of the store..
    Yeah, me! I first joined the site in April 2007, and moved down the following month. I wrote about my experience here.

There are several of those fruit markets. The one closest to my house was the Meridian Market at Meridian and 6th St. But my favorite was Fernandez Fruit Market on Washington and 14th. I'd go to those little markets almost every day, and did the Publix run only once a week or less.

I'm with you on the try it for a year plan. Life is a tapestry of different experiences, and the more you have, the better, even if they're only short ones. I think our greatest enemy is routine. It's synonomous with rut.

hey sungal what's up! i'm in a similar situation as you..i'll be moving down by myself..though, i thought i would have made it down by now..i was planning on coming down last fall but then decided to wait a bit longer for a few reasons. then due to a few unforscene circumstances i now have to save up again before i can leave..bummer..but im coming asap.. but like you i was worried about if i would like it, will i make friends right away, or will my job suck, etc..

i plan on getting a couple restaurant jobs..should be a good way to meet people and restaurant people like myself usually like to drink.(alot) i also plan to go to an art institue in miami for music production and figure i can meet alot of like minded people there..i'm also a club dj and theres a dj/production acadamy right on sobe as well, so i will probly check that out too..

so i say go for it!..you can always move back..that's what i'm thinking..should be badass at least for a while..the weather, the beaches, and most importantly the nightlife and parties!!i wish i had made it down already and i could give you first hand experience.

oh btw, i was wondering if you could share about your apartment searching experience and what the places were like that u looked at..? i'm looking for a place on a budget :)

-Joey

I have lived on South Beach for 6 years, and would never live anywhere else in America. I moved here directly from DallASS TexASS (yeah, I'm not a fan). When I first moved here, it did not take any time for me to meet a bunch of great people, and now have tons of awesome friends.

Living here is WAY different than visiting here. If you get a job in the service industry, you will have no trouble meeting people. And, if you make a little effort to go out and mingle, you should have a great experience. If you stay home and mope because you do not know anyone, then you get what you asked for.

There are tons of events going on all the time, nightlife, arts, festivals, parties, and it just takes a little effort to become very involved.

The main thing is, you have to make an effort. But, this is true in any new city. If you are moving from you hometown, where you have had the same friends since Junior High, then you have to realize that, as an adult, you do not just get thrown together like in school. You have to make an effort. But, like I said, this will be the same in any city you move to.

Hey sungal!
    I did what you are proposing also, I love SoBe and decided to move from the UK no less, so I sensibly visited to find job, apt etc and then moved a few months on. This site was so helpful when I started planning my move, even if you don't always post you can read loads of people's advice and experiences and Doug and Matt who have replied to you above are always spot on.

As for making friends, meeting guys, going out... you will meet people but there will be times you are on your own. I'm sure after a day talking to tourists you wouldn't mind the peace. Any place you work will have a social after work thing and you'll have SoBe holiday fun in no time, but better as you don't have to leave after a week!

It does take effort to meet people but you will. And trust me, meeting guys are not the issue if you are on your own, just sit on the beach on your own and you'll see! I actually want some girlfriends but seem to have met only guys! But the comment above did make me laugh about how happy you are when you meet a 'normal' white single guy/ girl! So true!

What area is your apt in? You'll meet people where you live too, my building has loads of cool 20-30s in it, that helps too.

Good luck, and don't forget most people on here are in SoBe, so you already have met people.

:coolsmile:

Thanks for all the replies! Doug I read your experience on moving down on a budget. I actually read it before I left- I loved the part about how you're still going to have problems in life, but they can be dealt with easier with your feet in the sand. I would have done the walking around and looking for "apt for rent" signs, but I was in a time crunch. And I was also working with a realtor who had emailed me properties in my price range.

Joey, you can look for a realtor on craigslist. Just make sure you find someone who emails you what you're looking for, and answers any questions you have about the properties promptly. DOn't mention you're dreaming of moving to miami. Say you will be relocating due to work.In sobe the landlord pays the realtor's fee, so their services are free to you. Although I did hear from my waiter-thank god- that when he got a one bed, he saw it through the owner. The owner was asking $1200 and he negotiated it down to $900! Now, I don't know if the owner was just asking an outrageous price to begin with, and really knew it was worth $900, or he just wanteed to get it rented and took a $300 price cut.

I told my realtor my price range is $900-$1350. I then asked the waiter, wow, if there's so much room for negotiation why didn't she email me properties up to $1600 and then say, "there's a lot of wiggle room with asking prices". Where I live, even in a bad market, you can only negotiate $25-$50, and that's on a $2000 apartment. The waiter reminded me she is working for the landlord. She did say on a few I could get it for $100 less.

If I had to do it again- and I may, I'd work with a realtor from home and the first day in miami see what she shows me, get her thoughts on different areas and things, then go see all the craigslist for rent by owner (apparently they can negotiate more bc they're not paying the realtor fee), then go around town and take a look at the "for rent" signs. And then pray the owner/manager is around to show you! Most of the housing stock there are condos. This means if you like a place, it may take 1-2 weeks for the condo management office to run your credit and process your application. So don't fly down thinking you can stay at a hotel for 4 days, find a place, and move right in.

Oh, did I mention I'm a realtor in NJ?

I think Jess asked about the apartment I'm considering. It's in a great location (don't want to give too much away here bc I don't want anyone taking it..lol). It is tastefully furnished, newly redone, well maintained building..fabulous in every way, except for the size. It is tiny! The only smaller apartment I've seen is on "flight of the conchords". Does anyone watch that?

The bad thing about my search is I need furnished. I do have furniture, but I kinda want to test the waters for 6 months. Anyway, my choices are more limited. And also if the landlords can't rent their furnished place, they can decide to rent it weekly to visitors.

Well it's so fun chatting with everyone, I really am more tempted to come down! I think I'll find out about my job situation here by the end of the week. If I don't the job, I will pray my timy but cute apt will be avail. (I may try just to get a 4 month lease). It would be nice meeting all of you! Maybe there should be a miami411 cocktail hour.

I've really only written on real estate chat boards, and I have to say this is so fun. It's like writing all your thoughts/desires/feelings, but instead of the diary sitting in your undie drawer, you actually get feedback and advice about your life.

Hey Jess,

Your building sounds great. Is it one of the huge high rises? I know there are high rises along west end and I know the young,"professional" locals live there, but I have to say I'd rather be close to beach. Let's face it- the beach is why I want to move!

Hi! You sound happier already, see this site proves there are lots of normal sane people in Miami! I understand you don't want to give too much away, but roughly where are you thinking of living, such as South of Fifth, Alton Road, near Lincoln etc? As although SoBe is small, the areas vary greatly... if you want a good nights sleep for instance there are some areas quieter than others.
    My building is an old Art Deco one actually, only 2 floors, found it on Craigslist and the neighbours are really nice. I wouldn't fancy a high one even though South Pointe looks so gorgeous and I wonder who is lucky enough to live there... but then I also think I don't want to be high up when the hurricanes come! :ohh:

Also when are you thinking of moving, as I can check with my realtor as she does leases starting at 3 months, and my neighbour is moving end Jan?

Hi Jess,

The one I have in mind is one block from ocean bw (20 and 15)..sorry not giving out exact crosstreets. I checked the weather there and it's going to be 80 on the weekend!!! I have my big interview on Wed, must trek there in the sleet and snow, and 34 degrees...grrr

I kind of hope to get this job bc I'd be making good money and probably meeting lots of cool people. But on the other hand, chatting on this site has been so fun and I feel like miami would be a great adventure. (Although I would be demoted to working in the service industry-but I would probably make as much in tips as the new job in ny!) I know someone mentioned that coming home to your own apt with your own things makes you feel good, but mine would have someone else's furnishings. Of course, I would have some personal pics, maybe some affordable artwork, and my trusty ipod.

I would be looking at a Feb 10 move in date, but I'm flexible. Anyway, other than making friends, and finding a job I like, I'm also nervous about living in an apartment under 500 sq. ft. It is beautifully furnished though.

I guess I will know after Wed if I'm moving or not! Very excited!

Buena suerte! I think things will go just fine for you.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Doug! I have been exploring the other areas of this site and happily discovered "Miami Events". I was really excited to see yoga in Flamingo Park, and also a Sweedish film screening. Very cool. Any sort of organized sport activity that happens on the beach?

If your heart's in it, the details will fall into place easily enough.

I do see volleyball games and soccer going on at the beach. You could probably find out more about that kind of stuff on meetup.com.

Hi Jess,

Would you be able to describe the apartment? Is it furnished?

thanks!

Your apt sounds pretty good actually, it's in a nice area and if it's one block over it sounds like Collins or James, don't get paranoid though, as there are tons of apts here for rent in SoBe! My apt came furnished, if yours is beautiful though sounds good. Is it just rent, are your bills on top? Cos that can get pricey...

Also, there are yoga classes every day at sunrise and sunset on the beach at 3rd St, run by Synergy Yoga, $5 for the class which is pretty great. Been too cold though recently.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast