Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Do you need a car in South Beach?

Thank you Doug for the info. I can't believe how many garages south beach has! And there is one exactly one block from my apartment!!! One block! I wonder if there is a waiting list though. Now I can drive to target, wild oats, publix, and the mall with nordstrom and bloomingdales!

And the other benefit is I can drive down with a friend, and bring everything I want. I was going to have to edit books, linens, clothes, and I was just going to buy things I already have because it would be cheaper than shipping(alarm clock, hangers,everything)

Well now I won't even need to make that trip to target..

That $70 does sound awfully cheap, huh?!

Glad that all the details are coming together for you. I admire a girl who can balance Bloomingdales with Target!

Quote Originally Posted by thewagster
    Sungal,

I'm from NJ and looking at moving to Miami sometime mid-summer.

One thing you should definitely take into account is the extremely high cost of auto insurance in Miami. Driving in Miami

I was just floored at how high insurance rates are in Miami. NJ is usually touted as having extremely high premiums, but I got some quotes from Geico, and they were all 40-60% the amount of my car lease/purchase payment. Granted I'm a <25 year old male looking at sportier cars (being female cuts the premium by almost 1/2)... but that is still outrageous.

Good luck!
    Wagster, car insurance in Miami is optional. I mean, yeah, technically it's required, but I think the ticket for not having it is around 85 bucks, probably a lot lower than it is wherever you're from. and you will be FAR from the only person in Dade County without car insurance. I often think those with it are actually the minority. I've been back in Florida now for almost 5 years and have had it for all of 4 months. Including my ticket I think my total cost in that department has been around $200. So don't sweat it too much.

Well, my dreams of a charmed life with my car, a $70 space, and garage parking one block from my apartment have been shot to hell.

I called the garage and I would have to "apply" for an acces card and then wait..oh I don't know..about 6 months for an answer. Apparently residents are not their first priority. They are a private garage. Oh, and the price is $107. However, the city forces them to limit the number of residential spaces to make sure there are plenty available for the hotel valet service, beach goers, and hotel employess. Thanks Miami!

Oh, and I told the attendant where I would be living and he agreed it would be very difficult to park. grrrr..Well I guess I'll call the next garage.

I thought that deal sounded a little too good to be true. So where do they get off posting $70 a month on their website? You did call the garages listed on the city website, right?

Maybe your friendly condo board has some suggestions.

You're calling these places?

PARKING GARAGES

7th Street and Collins Avenue Garage is a state of the art parking garage with 646 spaces and available 24 hour a day. The facility is patrolled by a security force and close circuit cameras monitor each floor. The entrance to the garage is located on 7th Street. Monthly parking permits are not available for this garage.

Transient rates: $1.00 per hour or any portion thereof up to 15 hours, and a maximum daily rate of $20.00 for any time exceeding 15 hours up to 24 hours (applicable sales tax is included in the hourly and maximum rate).

Lost ticket charge: Parkers who cannot produce a parking entry ticket will be charged the maximum daily rate of $20.00.

Weekend/event flat rate: $15.00 per vehicle Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m.

12th Street and Drexel Avenue Garage provides convenient parking for shoppers and diners to the Washington Avenue business district with 134 spaces. The facility is available 24 hours a day.

Transient rates: $1.00 per hour or any portion thereof up to 15 hours, and a maximum daily rate of $20.00 for any time exceeding 15 hours up to 24 hours (applicable sales tax is included in the hourly and maximum rate).

Lost ticket charge: Parkers who cannot produce a parking entry ticket will be charged the maximum daily rate of $20.00.

Monthly parking: $70.00 per month, per permit, plus applicable sales tax.

Weekend/event flat rate: $15.00 per vehicle Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m.

13th Street and Collins Avenue Garage is located in the heart of the Art Deco District, one block west of Ocean Drive with 286 spaces. The entrance is located on 13th Street. The facility is available 24 hours a day.

Transient rates: $1.00 per hour or any portion thereof up to 15; and a maximum daily rate of $20.00 for any time exceeding 15 hours up to 24 hours (applicable sales tax is included in the hourly and maximum rate).

17th Street Garage is adjacent to the Theater of the Performing Arts, within walking distance to the Miami Beach Convention Center and Lincoln Road mall with shops, restaurants, art galleries and studios. The garage is five stories in height and can occupy up to 1460 vehicles. The facility's main entrance is on 17th Street across from Convention Center Drive. The facility is available 24 hours a day.

Transient rates:

0 – 1 hour $1.00

1 – 2 hours $2.00

2 – 3 hours $3.00

3 – 4 hours $4.00

4 – 5 hours $5.00

5 – 6 hours $6.00

6 – 7 hours $8.00

7 – 8 hours $10.00

8 – 15 hours $15.00

15 – 24 hours $20.00

Yeah, I called 17th garage. I guess I'll try 13th and collins next. But I really think walking 5 blocks to my car is kind of ridiculous. I don't know, maybe there may be a private owner of a space nearby and they would rent it to me. (I'll check on craigslist).

I am going to continue doing real estate there. I really enjoy it and think I'll meet some friends. So, since I will most likely be showing homes/aparments, I will need my car for showings and probably will use it 5 times a week. I don't want to walk 5 blocks to the garage in sweltering heat or a downpour.

Sungal, why don't you simply get a residential permit and park on the street? Residential parking is discouraged in private as well as municipal garages.

That makes no sense to me! In my garage now floors 4-8 are for residents or monthly customers. Floors 1-4 are for daily customers. So the garage takes care of both types of customers, but as you can tell by the floor allocation, favors the daily customers. ugggghhh. maybe i can bring a new concept to miami!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer

Wagster, car insurance in Miami is optional. I mean, yeah, technically it's required, but I think the ticket for not having it is around 85 bucks, probably a lot lower than it is wherever you're from. and you will be FAR from the only person in Dade County without car insurance. I often think those with it are actually the minority. I've been back in Florida now for almost 5 years and have had it for all of 4 months. Including my ticket I think my total cost in that department has been around $200. So don't sweat it too much.
    That's the only penalty?! I believe your car is impounded in many states (though I haven't really researched this). What happens if you get into a crash and are uninsured? Obviously the other party can sue you for damages (i.e. all you're worth!) if its your fault, but do the police charge you with anything other than the $85 penalty?

Sungal, the thing is, after a certain time of the day, MOST South Beach street parking is actually residential and there are way fewer spots in garages than there are on the street. South Beach residential parking (for those residents whose buildings don't have parking) is really designed for the zoned streets, not garages. If you're a visitor or a person doing business on the beach, you have a very limited number of spaces in the garages as is. And by visitor, I don't mean people coming from other places, but even locals coming from Miami. The old hotels were not designed with parking in mind, so they have to valet in the garages as well. Mind you all the NEW buildings have parking. It's the price to pay for living in a place with so many entertainment options where meters are taken up every night by valet. It's also the price to pay for living in a tourist haven that is only one mile wide across its widest span.

Mind you, go up to mid-beach and there is no parking problem at all. Meters are free after 6pm. There are plenty of non-metered street spaces that are totally free and don't require residential decals. But SOuth Beach is extremely congested, hence the issue.

Are there residential spaces that are non-metered? Once I get a space here can my car stay for awhile until streetsweeping? In other words, I would have to move it once per week?

Or are you saying that at the metered spaces, after 9 pm residents can park for free? But then what happens at 9am when my car is still there and you have to feed the meter? Do I try to move it to a non-metered space? Or do I need to start putting money in the meter?

See, if steet parking near my apartment is a nightmare, then once I found an ok space I wouldn't leave. And then what is the point of having a car?

There will be others here who will explain it better than me probably, but basically this is how it works...

Meters are anyone's spaces. But there are also other streets that are only for Residents and their visitors. It's usually 6pm-9am (? can't remember exact times!) Monday through Thurs and then 24 hours Friday through Sunday. So if you have a resident decal you can park on your street whenever you want.
    Come the weekend it's so easy to park where I live as its 24 hour residents parking. And if my street is full there's always something round the corner. Frankly the hardest time to park is when it's free in the day Mon-Thurs, and you'll be at work then.

Jess, you explained it perfectly.

Sungal, as a resident you never have to park at a meter. Once your lease is set, apply for a permit and you can park in your designated zone. The sidewalks are full of signs clearly marking where residents can park. And as a matter of fact, in that area around Flamingo Park all the way to Fifth street, meters are harder to come by, which is a pain in the butt when I visit friends who live around there. Resident parking is priority in that area.

Did you sign a short-term lease? You might ask your landlord if they already have a visitor's permit you could use. I believe each residential unit is entitled to 1 visitor's permit per calendar year. It's basically the same as a residential permit.

See, this makes me lean toward no car. So fri-sun my car can stay on the street. But then from 9-6 I need be elsewhere. So far I'm waitressing or working in real estate and those are not 9-6 jobs. So I don't think that system would work for me. :(

OK, you are confusing yourself girl!!!
    Its simple. At resident times, only residents can park there with their decal or visitor pass. That's all day Fri-Sun, and 6pm till 9am I think Mon-Thurs. So 9-6 Mon Thurs, anyone can park, it's free! So you can stay there. You can park your car all week without moving it if you want as you're a resident!

Ooohhh, I see that makes perfect sense. This way when some of the residents leave for work it allows others to park for the day and then be gone by the time the residents get home..sounds good!

So if I want to get a resident sticker do I just show my lease? Will I have to switch my license plates, registration, insurance, and driver's license? I don't want to do that. Too much of a hassle.

Part of me thinks I should leave my car in here, and then if I feel I need one, I can have it shipped down. Another part of me thinks I should just bring it down (just to have the same lifestyle that I do here). And then I guess if it becomes a hassle I could sell it.

I just need to decide soon to know if I should buy a ticket.

Hi, you don't have to switch your plates over...too many transients live in South Beach for that! You just should bring along a copy of your lease, your out-of-state drivers license, and vehicle registration.

Here's a segment from my "How I Moved to South Beach" article that provides more details:

The all-important parking decal:

Parking is at a premium on South Beach, so the city leaders came up with the handy parking decal as the solution. Unless you find a building with parking, or are willing to commute from the decal free zone on the streets between 5th and 6th (an area, which in addition to free parking, also provides a plethora of aggressive panhandlers and scrutinizing police patrollers), you&#39;re going to have to get yourself one of these babies.

The good news: unlike most other places, in transient South Florida, you don&#39;t have to register your vehicle in the state or get a local drivers license before you can get your decal.

The bad news: the renewal dates are fixed at a certain time of the year, the next one being April 30, 2008. So you still have to pay the same yearly $50 fee even if you arrive after April 30. Your fee can cover anywhere from 7 to 12 months, depending on when you arrive. It&#39;s rather confusing. And if you want a visitor&#39;s pass, expect to pay an additional $6-$10 for a coupon book of visitor&#39;s passes, good for two-week segments.

Insider tip: don&#39;t get caught in the bureaucratic ping-pong game. At the time of this writing, City Hall, located at 1100 Washington Ave., is being renovated, and the parking/traffic office has been temporarily relocated. When I asked at the nearby police department where I could go to purchase my decal, they told me to go to the Clerk of Courts office at 225 Washington Ave. This, regrettably, wasn&#39;t the correct advice, I soon learned. 225 Washington is where you go to pay traffic tickets and to resolve other civil matters. I was informed upon my arrival there that the current location of the parking decal office is actually in the Palm Court Building at 309 23rd St, suite 200. Needless to say, by the time I arrived, I was really sweaty! Hopefully, this little tid-bit will prevent you from getting sent on a grand tour of the island. Bring your drivers license, vehicle registration and proof of residency (copy of the lease or a utility bill) with you, in addition to the cash.

Thanks Doug- I think I'll do the resident sticker. Now I know you lived more west of the beach than I will. So, lets say I go take my car to whatever real estate office I'm working in around noon, and then head home at 4. How long do you think it will take for me to find a space?

Do the residents tend to park their cars and not touch them for a week and a half? Or do they use them everday/every other day with the confidence that if they just shoot over to Wild Oats it will be possible to find parking in less than 5 min when they reurn? Where I live now you would need to allow about 20-30 min to find a space, so you can tell I have a real fear of on-street parking.

I did look at spaces for rent and just found something on 6th and Euclid- way too far for me.

I don't know, I'm just getting more and more stressed out as the move approaches.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast