Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Do you need a car in South Beach?

Hi, I was right on Miami Beach at Michigan and 7th. In that neighborhood, I never had trouble parking unless it was late at night. Which is the exact intersection that you were asking about? It gets more crowded closer to Washington/Collins/Ocean and near Lincoln Road.

I'd say you have no problem, where I live you can park really easily, I live South of Fifth though, so Doug is right, where is your location?
    I say stop stressing and arrange your cocktail hour for your arrival, give you something to look forward to! :cheese:

Sungal, once you have your residential permit, you can park forever, so to speak. Those spaces are YOURS!

And I forgot to add, you never have to move your car or park on opposites sides for street sweeping or anything. That kind of thing doesn't happen down here.

Although parking in SoBe is not like parking in the 'burbs, I know plenty of people who've managed with street permits. You'll be fine.

I used to live in a building with parking on Lincoln/West. Sometimes, even though I had assigned parking, I'd simply take a cab if I was going to party down near South Pointe or didn't want to walk in high heels to Washington Ave. It was cheaper than paying for valet parking on the other side of the island, esp. on crowded nights before 12 am. So that was a typical scenario for me as a south beach resident, single gal, going out at night and living on the west side of the island. (Walking a mile or two in heels is not fun.)

But that was before the South Beach Local -- a real $$$ saver when it comes to getting around these days. You'll figure out what works best for you once you get here. But as I said before, if you really want to get the fullest experience, having a car will enable you to move around more freely in all of Miami Dade at any time of the day you want. I think the little parking issues in SoBe are worth it.

Relax and enjoy your new changes.

I think they should get rid of cars all together and just use pedicabs for a nickel a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by thewagster
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer

Wagster, car insurance in Miami is optional. I mean, yeah, technically it's required, but I think the ticket for not having it is around 85 bucks, probably a lot lower than it is wherever you're from. and you will be FAR from the only person in Dade County without car insurance. I often think those with it are actually the minority. I've been back in Florida now for almost 5 years and have had it for all of 4 months. Including my ticket I think my total cost in that department has been around $200. So don't sweat it too much.
    That's the only penalty?! I believe your car is impounded in many states (though I haven't really researched this). What happens if you get into a crash and are uninsured? Obviously the other party can sue you for damages (i.e. all you're worth!) if its your fault, but do the police charge you with anything other than the $85 penalty?
    NO sir, they do not charge you with anything else. Yes, the people can sue you for whatever they like. And they may well win. But it just depends on your asset situation. For a lot of people in Miami, they are worthless. Not intrinsically worthless, mind you, but they have no financial worth. So a judgment means nothing to them. Think people who move from Latin American Country X with $20 and the shirt on their back. Those folks aren't real concerned with car accident judgments.

But insofar as legal penalties, you're looking at an $85 ticket and that's it. I Love Florida.

And Sungal, are you starting to see what I meant when I said living here was hard? You haven't even moved and already you've been suckered in by a garage with a false ad and are stressed about where to find a parking space. And you haven't even moved yet. It just gets more fun once you set up your FPL.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer
    NO sir, they do not charge you with anything else. Yes, the people can sue you for whatever they like. And they may well win. But it just depends on your asset situation. For a lot of people in Miami, they are worthless. Not intrinsically worthless, mind you, but they have no financial worth. So a judgment means nothing to them. Think people who move from Latin American Country X with $20 and the shirt on their back. Those folks aren't real concerned with car accident judgments.

But insofar as legal penalties, you're looking at an $85 ticket and that's it. I Love Florida.
    Seems like if they impounded every uninsured car, rates as a whole would come down... but if the stereotype of Florida politicos pandering to immigrants has any truth to it, this would never happen.

I don't have much in assets, but enough to justify insurance. Oh well, money I save on state taxes + rent is going elsewhere I guess...

Hey Matt,

I really did think the garage was too good to be true. I even said in my post there must be a waiting list. Well now that I know how the parking works, I feel more confident that parking would be ok.

I'm going to go against my better judgement and give out my apartment cross streets (18th and James). Can anyone comment on how congested this area usually is? I understand that I can leave my car in a space. But, what if I leave for work around noon and then return around 5pm? Or if one evening I return from wherever around 8:30?

That area is a little oasis in the craziness of South Beach in terms of congestion...I once stayed at the Cadet Hotel on James Street very close to there in 1996 and things were laidback. However, I don't know how this translates to the parking situation.

Having a car worked out okay for me when I was living on the Beach, because I only needed to use it once or twice a week. But if you're coming and going every day at various times, I don't know if it will work out as well for you. Late nights are the worst time, for sure. And you are a little removed from the Lincoln Road congestion, so it may not be a problem. Most people visiting the beach wouldn't think to look for parking in that area.

You're in luck girl, I walk that everyday to work! Just popped out at lunch too and so it's the middle of the day and tons of places. Always spaces to park in that area, you have no worries.

Perfect!! Thanks for checking Jess. I'm excited- it's a cute area.

I love that area, it's the Arts section of the beach. I walk James Street everyday, I like the funky James hotel too. 18th and James is really quiet and comes up to 19th which is a T junction. It's really quiet street too, nice place to live. My friend lives 19th and Park which is one over, and he says it's quiet.

18th and James? Damn, a few years ago that was a hotspot for a lot of the streetwalkers. Close to the mega luxury hotels but off the main drag to avoid police. I'm guessing it must have cleaned up a little since then.

Hey jess,

What do you mean by the arts section of the beach? Are there galleries around that area? I think all the streetwalkers are on craigslist now.

It's the arts section as Miami City Ballet and Bass Museum of Art are there, plus the library etc. There are posters everywhere round there showing it, with a ballerina on them.

Not seen any street walkers either so don't panic :lol:

I had no idea the Beach had an arts, section. Who knew? The arts section of Miami is really more on the mainland north of Downtown.

They were actually talking about enacting some sort of rent control for that area, to encourage artists to live on Miami Beach.

That's really close to where I used to live, when I lived at Museum Walk... Never had any problems and parking is definitely easier since it's not Zone 2...

I remember seeing streetwalkers on Collins late at night, but maybe things have cleaned up a little.

Sungal, I like that area. It's a lot quieter than South Beach. Some of those buildings are 55+ so that may have something to do with it.

The public library is right next to the ballet and museum. Also, you're right around the corner from the convention center, the music institute & community center as well as the Fillmore performance hall (Jackie Gleason). The New World Symphony musicians live in some buildings there as well. There is a great yoga studio on 23rd street and the Publix market is not very far away -- just down the street on Dade Boulevard. And best of all you can walk to Lincoln Road and the beach. So easy! Great location.

New User

What residential parking zone is that area around james and 18th if it it not residential 2? I thought that everything on sobe up to like 23rd was residential 2.. What are the advantages/disadvantages when it is not residential zone 2 parking?
    Thanks

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Quote Originally Posted by RichieFL
    What residential parking zone is that area around james and 18th if it it not residential 2? I thought that everything on sobe up to like 23rd was residential 2.. What are the advantages/disadvantages when it is not residential zone 2 parking?
    Thanks
    Hi, Richie, welcome to Miami Beach 411.

That area falls under Residential Parking Permit Zone 4.

Zone 4 covers from 16th Street to 23rd Street.

You can find PDF maps of the different parking zones on the city's website here.

Can you clarify what you mean by "advantages/disadvantages?"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast