Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Do you need a car in South Beach?

Yeah, the Zone categorization is really a geographical thing. So it corresponds with your physical address. There is no "all access" zone or anything if that is what you were thinking. So you really can't have an advantage or disadvantage, since it is all based on where you live.

New User

Thanks for the fast reply guys! One more question regarding the Zone 2 and Zone 4 Parking: is it much easier to find parking in zone 4 than in zone 2 and is the cost per zone the same? I will definitely have to check out the website, planning to move to sobe this year hopefully soon if everything goes well ;)

Quote Originally Posted by RichieFL
    Thanks for the fast reply guys! One more question regarding the Zone 2 and Zone 4 Parking: is it much easier to find parking in zone 4 than in zone 2 and is the cost per zone the same? I will definitely have to check out the website, planning to move to sobe this year hopefully soon if everything goes well ;)
    Without a doubt it's easier to find parking in zone four, especially during season. I don't remember if the cost is the same, but I haven't had to buy a parking pass for a few years...

When I lived in the beach, the cost was the same no matter what zone you were in. But again, it all depends on where you live. You can't get a Zone 2 pass if you live in Zone 4.

New User

Great, I have been looking at a few places and they are all in zone 4, unfortunately without assigned parking... According to the other replies, it does seem much easier to find parking there than zone 2. Can anyone post a link that shows how the parking zones are divided on south beach? I was not able to find that information on the miami beach parking website. I have been living in Fort Myers (SW FLA) for the last 14 years, and been anxious to get out of this retirement place to join the action in Miami :))
    Thanks again!
    Richie

Hi Richie,

You can look at the various parking zones by going here:

http://web.miamibeachfl.gov/parking/....aspx?id=30862

Then, click on "General Info." on the left and "residents". That will take you to a page with the various zones listed. You can open each one of them on Adobe Acrobat.

I ended up not bringing my car..

I say you do need a car if you plan on living here. I have never lived on the beach but I feel as though you are stuck there without a car.

Don't you want to venture out into the rest of Miami? Taxis everywhere? Public bus? no way. (atleast not in my book!)

New User

Thanks Doug, thats exactly what I was looking for!

I agree with Kristine, unless you live in a big city with convenient public transport then a car is a must. The whole east coast of FL has so much to offer but is unfortunately not all accessible by bus..

Hi Richie,

Welcome to the forums! I don't believe there is assigned parking anywhere in the South Beach zones. I mean, you are assigned a zone depending on where you live, but it's first come first serve on the streets -- no individually assigned spots.

In mid-beach you have no zones to speak of. You can park anywhere on the street in the residential areas.

Just to clarify, though, there ARE buildings that have assigned spots. Those spots are just not on the street.

That's true, Matt. Private parking is usually assigned. Actually, I lived in a building on West & Lincoln that had some spots off the sidewalk. It was private & assigned. Sometimes people would park there and of course I had to go through the whole "Should I call the towing company?" thing.

In any case, it all depends on the building where you live.

You actually had to DEBATE whether or not to call the towing company? Shit, I park in a garage in Gainesville and I never hesitate for a second. In South Beach, I'd have them on speed dial.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer
    You actually had to DEBATE whether or not to call the towing company? Shit, I park in a garage in Gainesville and I never hesitate for a second. In South Beach, I'd have them on speed dial.
    there's some South Beach urban legend that says the tow companies pay the homeless people to hang out and call them when people park illegally. I don't know how true that is, but those guys are sneaky, they hang out in regular cars waiting for people to park in unassigned parking lots.

I would say that's my next gig if I get laid off, but that would be such bad karma... lol

How do you sign up for that? I think it would be a fun job. Flexible hours...not stuck behind a desk...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    How do you sign up for that? I think it would be a fun job. Flexible hours...not stuck behind a desk...
    I dunno, but if you see a Mustang parked alongside the McDonalds on Alton, that's one of them. They monitor the Dunkin Donuts lot for people parking there to go to Starbucks. I think they also have a Honda that does too..

The rate for those homeless isn't competitive. This is why they employ the homeless.

And if the tow racket is such a great gig, why does every driver/lot personnel look like they just showed up after cashing their welfare check?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer
    The rate for those homeless isn't competitive. This is why they employ the homeless.

And if the tow racket is such a great gig, why does every driver/lot personnel look like they just showed up after cashing their welfare check?
    I think it takes a special kind of person to do that job... I mean, most of them get their work late at night/early in the morning.

The drivers don't make any money, unless you are able to pay them off before they take your car. It's the lot owners that make the money.

Do they actually employ homeless people though? I always wondered if that was a myth...

Wait ... the tow truck drivers don't make any money? Why do they do it then?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234