Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

WOw Sungal, I think you partied more in one night than I have all year! Welcome to SoBe ... and yeah, beware of the SoBe burnout! Yoga is a good antidote for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Quote Originally Posted by sungal
    Last night I was planning to go to yoga in flamingo park. But instead, I went out with someone in my building.... We were just going to "get a drink",
    [...]
    Just sitting in my apt now- I always feel like shit the day after I drink too much. No more booze for at least a week. I did have a fun, "welcome to south beach" night. It was really cool, but next week I'm going to yoga.
    Sungal, swimming in the ocean and baking in the sun do wonders for a hangover. Even if it's cold, go in the water, and try to flush your sinuses with as much salt water as possible.
    This is actually really true. I have also found that it is good for colds.

Thanks for the beach advice...I don't think I'll be drinking for awhile though..Gus, would you mind taking that post down about my first night out here?? I think I shared a little bit too much..

Ok, see everyone tonight. I'll be the one drinking club soda ;)

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Sungal, we appreciate you sharing your experience.

Learning from each other is what Miami Beach 411 is all about.

However, I edited your post, as you requested. If you want to edit it more, feel free.

Yeeeah, you def. wanna be careful with that, especially because it will drain your wallet faster than a Downtown mugger.

And what exactly did you redact, there, Sungal?

Gus is right, meeting people here is not terribly difficult, but then again you also meet a LOT of shady people who don't neccesarily seem so at first. Where did you move here from again?

I'm here from NJ. But I live a 7 min train ride away from NYC. It was definately a fun night, but I certainly can't party that hard every night. Maybe once a week.
    I didn't spend that much money that night (taxis, espresso,and can't remember if the club had a cover). Eveyone I met was pretty cool, but I don't think I'll make any long term friends at a club.

Hey Sungal, glad to hear that you were able to move to Miami. Whatever happened to the co-signer vs. paying up front issue?

I did what I had to do to get the apartment. I'm comfortable with everything. If anyone has questions about getting board approval, showing proof of income, negotiating rent and lease terms, feel free to ask me.

Here's something I always wondered: what is to stop somebody from exaggerating their income on a tax return? I mean, simply get a new tax form for 2008, writing in whatever your salary would have to have been in order to qualify for the apartment? A little liquid paper and you could also modify a W-2 or a 1099 form. How would they know, especially if you're self-employed? Not that I'm advocating doing something so scurrilous, but if somebody wanted to get in who didn't qualify, there's not really much to stop them.

I believe they're not supposed to actually ask your employer what your salary is, even if you're not self-employed. They can only verify employment.

There you go-get creative! My board didn't even ask for that. I'm having a really hard time getting motivated to find a job. I keep making excuses. I was thinking of doing waitressing or hostessing..I haven't applied for anything yet bc I think the restaurant wants you to look somewhat cute, so I think, well better wait until I have a tan..get a haircut..

and then I think, what if they make me wear a nerdy outfit-I hate white button down shirts on women..so unflattering, and then what if it's a slutty outfit?

and I thought I had a good idea to do real estate down here, but some are telling me it's bad, others good..

And then hearing all the music and knowing 3/4 of the people here are going out, just makes me want to just go out!

I'll stay in to take advantage of the good beach day tomorrow.

sungal, I think the idea about working in a museum would be worth further consideration. The Wolfsonian may have some opportunities available. If not, there are others! At least add it on to your list of places to apply.

Last night I got a surprise call from a friend who was going to be in Miami on a layover to Brazil. So of course, here comes the drinking! I felt like going for a walk, so I walked down to see them on Ocean and 8th..they were at a cuban restaurant.
    I had one yummy vodka, frozen mango puree/slush, and pineapple..I know those restaurants on Ocean are really touristy, but guess what, so is everything else in this town! I really like how the ones on Ocean play mucic while you're sitting outside.

We walked back to go to Segafredo espresso on Lincoln, and took Espanola Way. That street is so charming..maybe when my neighbor returns we'll have dinner there. And I actually found a little boutique with cute dresses, sandals, and jewlery.

So we're at Segafredo, and it's definately the place to be for drinks and people watching. So of course, the drinking continues. I called a guy I met the other night and nothing..why is it a one night stand? If you have a great time together why not repeat?

So my friends went back to the airport, and I went to Nikki Beach Club with someone I met at Segafredo...

Do not, I repeat, do not go to Nikki Beach unless you want 24 year old boys from Boca or whever chasing you around. And it's very touristy- lots of guys from Argentina and Italy. Anyway, save your money because the music sucks and the crowd is worse. I really did like the outside beach seating area. I will give it a try on a Sun, where you layout enjoy the beach and ocean.

So I finally escaped the 24 year old boys and the Italian guy, and came home. I think it was 5 or 6am! Anyway, I drank sooo much last nigh that if I ever drink angain it will be too soon. Slept the whole day, and woke up and puked...

The gas man was here trying to turn the stove on, but I was so out of it I couldn't find my checkbook. I think I'll feel better tomorrow. Oh my friend from home agreed the guys here are more good looking than the guys back home.
    I have really had enough of the music from next door! It never stops...and a few hotels are nearby so it's hard to tell where it's coming from.

Wow, for being a girl, you sound like one of the guys! You could probably drink me under the table, haha!

I did have waaay too many drinks last night. I need to focus on applying for jobs..And I'm really lookiing forward to when it will be in the 80's and I can go the beach everyday! I am getting worried that I may get too caught up in the nightlife here..

The website for the Wolfsonian does not have a career section, think I should just call?

I can drink most boys I know under a table Doug! ;-)
    Sungal, don't rule out Nikki Beach... if you were upstairs in the club I can maybe understand it, but go one Sunday or for their happy hour and it is a totally different vibe. The staff there are so nice and friendly, I ended up being given a membership for free and now whenever I go they always look after me with drinks etc, just cos they know I'm a local. I always take friends there and I have never had a bad experience, always an amazing day or evening depending on when I go. And you can't beat lying on their huge beds chilling with a drink.

I did have waaay too many drinks last night. I need to focus on applying for jobs..And I'm really lookiing forward to when it will be in the 80's and I can go the beach everyday! I am getting worried that I may get too caught up in the nightlife here..

The website for the Wolfsonian does not have a career section, think I should just call?
    I would just show up in your smartest, northeastern power outfit and say, "here I am!" Maybe take one of the tours and chat up the staff....make it look like it was their idea! You do have a wonderful way of getting people to open up. Maybe you should also consider being a therapist!

Jess, I'm a lightweight, so I don't doubt you!

I believe they post their jobs on FIU's website, which is www.fiujobs.org

Yeah I agree, go down there in person. People forget a phone call. I got my job by turning up on the doorstep and charming my way in!
    Doug, HOW can you be a lightweight!? You lived on South Beach for years :lol: !

It felt like years, anyway! I survived on tropical juices from the Fernandez Fruit Market...

That's cheating if you don't add vodka.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast