Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Intern needs help moving to Miami Beach

Hi everybody!
    I am a 26 year old tourism management student from Germany, who will do an internship in Miami Beach from September to February next year.
    Is there a chance to find a roommate for like 200-300 USD per month?And is there a possibility that anyone can help me find one on here? smile
    And how much money do you guys think a regular person need per month for food and stuff?

Thanks a lot for your help!

$200-$300 a month? Not going to happen. Not in South beach anyway. And certianly not during thattime of year. Even in the les-desiarable parts of the city yo uare looking at $400-$500 a month MINIMUM, and that's living in like LIttle Havana or Wes, West Kendall. Without a car, that second option is not feasable. If you want to live in the beach, you are looking at $700 at leat, maybe $600 if you are REALLY lucky.

As far as expenses,I would budget around $250 a week for food and other expenses. trust me, South beach is not a cheap place. you can do it for less, but $1000 a month is still a bit of a stretch even if you are not going out at all or having any fun. but what is the point of living in South Beach if oyu can't have any fun?

New User

hmmm sounds not very good...the problem is that I just earn 500 USD a month for the internship and even if I raise a credit of another 300 usd a month,it would still be a problem from what you are saying...but more is just not possible

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, olli1980, welcome to Miami Beach 411. Thanks for posting you're question here.

What type of business are you interning at?

Will your internship require you to work 40 hours a week?

Does the company provide any free meals?

I'm suprised a company would accept an International intern, and not give them an idea about the cost of living.

If by chance you found a roomate (whcih may be difficult), and shared a $750 studio apartment (which may be uncomfortable), you might be able to survive in Miami Beach on $800 a month.

Did you read Matt's article "How to Eat on South Beach for $10 a Day"? It's very funny, but there's also some good tips on how to eat cheap.

New User

Hi Gus! (and everybody else that helps me :)

It is a rental for expensive villas in Miami, Aspen in in some cities in Europe called <edit>, unfortunately they cannot supply housing, at least that is stated in the internship ad.
    As for the other questions, I dunno the answers yet, because I will be talking on the phone for the first time with them today, but its good that you asked me these questions,because now I have an idea what to ask them. I just wanted to get an idea first with how much money I would need to calculate.

Would it be easy to find an extra job if I dont have to work 40 hours a week? Or is the job situation in Miami difficult?

Is it common that interns are provided meals at their work? I never heard anything like that in Germany.

As for the rent, I have found some ads on "roomie" webpages that are as low as 200$ or about 300-350, usually with an own bedroom. Of course those are not on South Beach but a little north (still on Miami Beach and not as far north as Bal Harbor) or in Miami just around the corner of the bridge leading to Miami Beach. Wouldnt it be possible to take on of those (if they would take me as a roommate) and go by bus/metrorail or whatsoever?

And one more question regarding living costs...if I cook my own meals and so on,wouldnt it be possible to get around with 300$ a month and about 100$ a month on extra spending money?I mean of course I couldnt go to a bar everyday, but would it be managable? Or are groceries in Miami too expensive too be eating for like 10$ a day?

Thankx again everybody for helping me![/quote]

Hi Olli! We'll try to help you the best we can. Exactly where on Miami Beach will your job be located? Even though Miami Beach can be more expensive, I would recommend living close by because public transportation is not as good here as in other cities.

When I was in college I heard about student exchange programs where you could live with families abroad. I'm not sure if such programs still exist, but it might be worth looking into. What does your school say about this?

If you shop very frugally for food and never eat out, you could survive on $300/month. Matt's advice is great, but mainly for vacation. You probably won't want to survive on pizza for such an extended stay!

I'm not sure what that company was thinking in only offering $500. That's probably more like an intern's stipend for spending money; they probably expect you to make up for the difference for the rest of your living expenses. I would ask them if they offer any kind of guidance for relocation, even if it's not in the form of money. They probably have had interns in the past. Maybe you could get in touch with some of them.

New User

Hi Manola!
    I talked to them yesterday and the woman said that she will ask the other interns what they think I should calculate...well and today I got her answer and the other interns recommend about 1200$ per month including apartment,food,clothing and transportation, so I guess it is just not managable for me.

Thanks for your help though!

Preferred Member

hey there :

If you only work, lets say 30 hours, you can always get a job that pays under the table and make an extra 700 a month. There are a lot of restaurants, pizza places, etc, that constantly need help and not necessarily will check for work permits. ;-)

You never know, it is only up to you, if you want to do this internship you will make it work out. :)

Muffin

ps:I believe a few weeks ago there were two ladies looking for jobs in Miami Beach as waitresses and got very good recommendations from the forum. Check it out for your self, it might help you.