Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I like Art. But I would love to volunteer for an organization that focuses in helping women become more self-sufficient. I love feminist issues, is there like a feminist organization there?

I have visited some Domestic Violence centers, and I have liked it. That could also be an option. I uess my point is that I want a place that helps women. That's what I am more interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by lafemme
    I like Art. But I would love to volunteer for an organization that focuses in helping women become more self-sufficient. I love feminist issues, is there like a feminist organization there?

I have visited some Domestic Violence centers, and I have liked it. That could also be an option. I guess my point is that I want a place that helps women. That's what I am more interested in.
    The Girl Scouts always needs volunteers. Seriously, we have a couple programs like that. You can also go to www.idealist.org and find some stuff there. Once this crazy event I have looming up on me quiets down, I am thinking of volunteering at the library with their literacy program actually. There are lots of women-based organizations here, including women in distress, which is a shelter for women. I will keep my ears out for you.

And in reference to your original question, I moved down here 5 years ago. I found a job through monster, moved down and got laid off a month and a half later. It was probably the best thing that happened to me. I ended up getting jobs in several different places, including retail, restaurants, a spa (worst job ever, ironically), and at a rental car company. I don't know what your definition of "making it" is, but I think I have done a pretty good job for myself. I'm self-reliant, had lots of fun and adventures, made some really good friends, got a graduate degree and now I make no money, but I have the benefit of knowing that my organization does some good, and that's not all bad. :-)

It's been a long time since I packed my little Toyota to the brim and moved down here in the middle of a February night, and it wasn't always easy but it's definitely been worth it :-)

Thanks for the info Christina. I am glad to hear that there are several women-based organizations, I'll choose the best one for me once I get there.

Regarding my question about "making it", I wanted to hear others' experiences as to how they got there and how difficult it was for them at the beggining, e.g. finding jobs, getting used to the environment, etc. Where did you move from? And since you have been there for five years, how hard has it been? DO you regret something?

Thanks for the info Christina. I am glad to hear that there are several women-based organizations, I'll choose the best one for me once I get there.

Regarding my question about "making it", I wanted to hear others' experiences as to how they got there and how difficult it was for them at the beggining, e.g. finding jobs, getting used to the environment, etc. Where did you move from? And since you have been there for five years, how hard has it been? DO you regret something?
    I didn't find any problems getting jobs, but really, once I got laid off I took retail jobs because while they weren't glamorous, they paid the bills. But I made alot of friends that way, met people from many different cultures and I think that really helped me adjust, you know?

I moved from North Carolina, and I didn't have a whole lot of trouble adjusting to the culture, but basically everyone in my family is married to someone from another culture, and many of my cousins are bi and tri-lingual, so that gave me an advantage I think. There have definitely been times that are more difficult than others, but those were my own doing. The hardest thing was going back to school and working three jobs. But out of everything, I don't regret my decision to move here. I regret dating some of the guys that I did, but that's nothing that was specific to Miami, that was just me having bad taste, lol.

I am 100% sure about moving to Miami. If I moved to a different country by myself. Moving to a different state will be nothing. It was difficult to get used to it at first, but I think humans get used to their surrounding in a timely matter. Before I moved here the coldest weather I ever experienced was 65 degrees, and now those same 65 degrees are like a heaven in New England.

How long did it take you to get to Florida from North Carolina? I think from MASS is 24 hours. I already planned the food and the songs I will be playing on my two-day trip to the Mainland. lol.

[quote=Christina]
    I regret dating some of the guys that I did, but that's nothing that was specific to Miami, that was just me having bad taste, lol.
    I think that we all have someone, I mean something to regret, jaja.

Just a human thing, I guest. lol

Lafemme, volunteering is a great thing. I do it at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden. There used to be an organization called WOMB (Women of Miami Beach) but I don't think they are active anymore. A simple search on Google "Miami women's health" brings up a few organizations.

My other favorite organization in town is the Historical Museum of South Florida. There are many non-profits and hospitals here that will always welcome volunteers. Once you move down, you can pick the one that is right for you.

Maria, I googled "Miami women's health", and you were right. It brought up several women's organizations. I'll try to get in contact with a few before I moved down.

LaFemme, it took me about 9-10 hours and a bunch of energy drinks to get down here, but I left aroudn 2 a.m. to avoid traffic. Where are you planning on stopping?

I had CDs because that was pre-Ipod days for me. that was crazy.

I'd like to stop in NY to say good by to my girlfriend, and if possible, we would love to stop in Washington D.C. I have never been there and I think it will be interesting. I have an Ipod and several CD's. I was thinking aobut living in the morning, but you are right about traffic. I rather sleep during the day and drive overnight. Since it will be a two-day trip regardless, I gues that I would only need a hotel to sleep 5-6 hours and get changed. That should be enough to get me re-energized.

Did you or anybody in this forum used a moving a company, or did you move yourself? I was looking at quotes and the prices to move a 1br apartment from MASS to Florida are out of reach. Almost $2,000. I have never moved out of state since I moved to the USA, is this a regular price or did I just look to the wrong companies?

I'd like to stop in NY to say good by to my girlfriend, and if possible, we would love to stop in Washington D.C. I have never been there and I think it will be interesting. I have an Ipod and several CD's. I was thinking aobut living in the morning, but you are right about traffic. I rather sleep during the day and drive overnight. Since it will be a two-day trip regardless, I gues that I would only need a hotel to sleep 5-6 hours and get changed. That should be enough to get me re-energized.

Did you or anybody in this forum used a moving a company, or did you move yourself? I was looking at quotes and the prices to move a 1br apartment from MASS to Florida are out of reach. Almost $2,000. I have never moved out of state since I moved to the USA, is this a regular price or did I just look to the wrong companies?
    Hey LaFemme,

DEFINITELY try to avoid DC traffic. It is a cool city though, lots of stuff going on there!

To be honest, I never used movers because I didn't have a whole lot of furniture, so I just sold what I did have and bought new stuff when I got down here. My cousin has used movers to go from here to VA, and $2,000 sounds like a pretty good deal, I think she spent more than that. I would suggest getting a UHaul or budget truck, but that would make for a very uncomfortable trip...

Always get as many quotes as possible, both for professional movers and for rental trucks. The pricing disparity can be quite large. If a particular company has a lot of trucks in your area and not many in the place you want to move, the price goes way down. It's significantly cheaper to move to an area that has a net outflow of residents.

Thanks Christina and SoBe to Be for your comments. We were thinking about renting a UHaul and do the move ourselves. We do not have a lot of furniture to carry around, but even for what we have the quotes seem to be out of reach. We do not want to spend a lot of money on a truck, because is a money that we will need in Miami. We'll be moving with or without jobs. Hopefully will have found jobs by the time, but we'll not let that stop us, so we need to save a s much as we can.

LaFemme, ask South Beach Movers for an estimate. I worked with them the last time I moved and was happy with their services. I believe they do long-distance moves.

I've done road trips from Miami to NYC and even without stopping they were pretty draining! On one leg I stopped at DC for lunch, but that's about as much time as we had. Perhaps you can take more than two days? You might as well enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles
    LaFemme, ask South Beach Movers for an estimate. I worked with them the last time I moved and was happy with their services. I believe they do long-distance moves.

I've done road trips from Miami to NYC and even without stopping they were pretty draining! On one leg I stopped at DC for lunch, but that's about as much time as we had. Perhaps you can take more than two days? You might as well enjoy it!
    I'll check that out Maria. I like the idea of a road trip. I know it can be draining, but I am for fun. Just to know that my final destination will be Miami will keep me motivated all the way down!!!

Haven't been able to keep up totally with the thread, but today there is a Women's Conference, right here in Miami Beach. Might be good.

Quote Originally Posted by coach
    Haven't been able to keep up totally with the thread, but today there is a Women's Conference, right here in Miami Beach. Might be good.
    WOW, that sounds like a great opportunity to network and learn more about women-based organizations in Miami-Dade. Too bad I am not there yet, but thanks for the info Coach.

Will you be here by April 2nd?

Funny how I am suddenly getting stuff for women's issues. Is it Women's Month or something?

Quote Originally Posted by coach
    Will you be here by April 2nd?

Funny how I am suddenly getting stuff for women's issues. Is it Women's Month or something?
    I won't be there until November. I will fly in for 5 days and I hope to get an apartment duing that time. That's the goal.

March 8th was International Women's Day. So that's why this month is so active on activities for women.

Preferred Member

lafemme: I am getting ready to move from the Midwest (NW Indiana) to Miami. I'll be moving in mid-May. I have been looking at rental companies, the moving pods, and moving companies. I have a large 3 bedroom home that I have to move. I was able to find a rate of around $800 from Penske for their largest truck. The pods were over 2K and a moving company wanted over 3K. So we'll be doing it ourselves.

Also, I moved from California to Indiana a few years back.....I found that when companies rental companies, Penske was the cheapest. In addition, their trucks are also the newest and have fewer problems in terms of breaking down (I felt so bad when we were moving and climbing this mountain in Utah somewhere and this poor UHaul caught on fire in the lane next to me)!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast