Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by coach
    Will you be here by April 2nd?

Funny how I am suddenly getting stuff for women's issues. Is it Women's Month or something?
    There is a joke in there somewhere about it being "that time of month" for women but im to lazy to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by twiggers
    lafemme: I am getting ready to move from the Midwest (NW Indiana) to Miami. I'll be moving in mid-May. I have been looking at rental companies, the moving pods, and moving companies. I have a large 3 bedroom home that I have to move. I was able to find a rate of around $800 from Penske for their largest truck. The pods were over 2K and a moving company wanted over 3K. So we'll be doing it ourselves.

Also, I moved from California to Indiana a few years back.....I found that when companies rental companies, Penske was the cheapest. In addition, their trucks are also the newest and have fewer problems in terms of breaking down (I felt so bad when we were moving and climbing this mountain in Utah somewhere and this poor UHaul caught on fire in the lane next to me)!
    Thanks for the info Twiggers. How far is Indiana from FLorida in hours? Our trip would be 24 hours if we did it non-stop which is impossible. We calculated two days to get there. My husband knows how to drive a medium size truck, which is the one-bedroom size from UHaul, but I can only drive a car or SUV. If we were to need a bigger truck, we wouldn't have anybody to drive it, so we'd have to pay a company. In that case I am thinking on leaving whatever does not fit in the mediun size truck or donate it to the local Salvation Army.

We thought about moving ourselves and renting a UHaul truck, but now that you said that about the fire I am having second thoughts. Is Penske cheaper than UHaul? And what does the $800 dollars price include? (e.g. miles, days with the truck, etc.)

Hi Lafemme,

I have to tell you, Mass housing is way more expensive than in Miami. Plus the Miami apartments are way nicer...remodeled, new, clean, bigger, in nicer locations. I honestly think you will love Miami compared to Mass. Everything people complain about Miami is actually way worse in Mass (traffic, unfriendly people, etc.) and it has none of the benefits (beautiful beaches, weather, fun things to do, etc.). I honestly think you will be improving your life in Miami because a lot of bi-lingual people are in high positions in their jobs there, and that will help you just to have something in common. Sadly in Mass this isn't the case.

I really want to move to Miami, and I've got to learn Spanish ASAP. I went to the Dadeland mall and everybody was speaking Spanish....I want to fit in and not be like a tourist -- I hate that separation feeling. My friends in Miami all learned Spanish once they moved there, and I know I can too. Darn it why did I take French in HS? :(

You get used to wherever you live and then change is hard, no matter what. But once you settle in Miami you will definitely like it better - there is no comparison!!

Hey...and if nothing else changes for you, at least Fla has way better tax laws. Congratz on taking steps to escape Taxachusetts. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl

I really want to move to Miami, and I've got to learn Spanish ASAP. I went to the Dadeland mall and everybody was speaking Spanish....I want to fit in and not be like a tourist -- I hate that separation feeling. My friends in Miami all learned Spanish once they moved there, and I know I can too. Darn it why did I take French in HS? :(
    Actually French is a much sought-after language in Miami I have found, after Spanish of course. I speak very limited Spanish, but I don't feel like a tourist so much. The best way to learn it is to be around it, I took Latin in high school and Italian in undergrad. My one semester of Spanish didn't really do much. Although my friends look at me crazy sometimes because if I don't know a word in Spanish I take the Italian one and try to make it sound Spanish. Doesn't always work... lol

Preferred Member

lafemme: Our drive is about 20-24 hours as well. I *think* it's around 1200-1400 miles (not as long as our move from CA to IN). The Penske trucks do have smaller 12' and 16' trucks. The trucks are all unlimited mileage and for our move they give us 5 days with the truck. It's a pretty good deal. My hubby drove the 26' foot truck when we moved from CA (and that's probably what we'll rent again) and didn't have any problems (and we had to climb through some pretty high mountains).

I'll be booking our truck next month when I get back from our Miami visit and can update you more then.

Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl
    Hi Lafemme,

I have to tell you, Mass housing is way more expensive than in Miami. Plus the Miami apartments are way nicer...remodeled, new, clean, bigger, in nicer locations. I honestly think you will love Miami compared to Mass. Everything people complain about Miami is actually way worse in Mass (traffic, unfriendly people, etc.) and it has none of the benefits (beautiful beaches, weather, fun things to do, etc.). I honestly think you will be improving your life in Miami because a lot of bi-lingual people are in high positions in their jobs there, and that will help you just to have something in common. Sadly in Mass this isn't the case.

Hey...and if nothing else changes for you, at least Fla has way better tax laws. Congratz on taking steps to escape Taxachusetts. :)
    Hey Bond Girl,

I kew you had to be a New England local. Only us know how hard it is up here. I totally agree with you, traffic cannot be worse and there are plenty of rude people here.

Rent, well, it couldn't be higher. The aparment where we live now is too expensive for been in this city, besides it has not amenities whatsoever, unless you can count a full-of-snow backyeard 4-5 months a year.

Thanks a lot for imput on this. With every single comment I get more excited about my move. I read you will this year as well, do you have a specific date yet?

Quote Originally Posted by twiggers
    lafemme: Our drive is about 20-24 hours as well. I *think* it's around 1200-1400 miles (not as long as our move from CA to IN). The Penske trucks do have smaller 12' and 16' trucks. The trucks are all unlimited mileage and for our move they give us 5 days with the truck. It's a pretty good deal. My hubby drove the 26' foot truck when we moved from CA (and that's probably what we'll rent again) and didn't have any problems (and we had to climb through some pretty high mountains).

I'll be booking our truck next month when I get back from our Miami visit and can update you more then.
    Thanks again Twiggers,

We decided to move ourselves. We need to save money and cannot afford a $2,000 move. Whatever does not fit in the truck will stay in New England.

Good luck in your trip to Miami, and I am looking forward to reading your update.

New User

Hey LaFemme,

I am in the same boat as you, thinking about moving to Miami, just trying to find an outlet for right now. Plus, I have to sell my home where I am now. When are you making the move? If I make it down there, I will definately be your gym buddy!

I wanted to tell you that I moved from NJ to NC a year and a half ago, just my husband and I. We didnt feel like wasting the $$$ to hire movers either, so we rented a truck like you are. Only problem was....alot of our furniture got messed up. My bedroom set is knicked up like crazy, it looks like crap. The dresser looked so bad we had to throw it away. This stuff was only 3 yrs old. We packed everything very carefully and were SURE there was no way for the stuff to move around the truck, but in a long drive like that, it finds a way. This was the main damage, we lost some plates and stuff, but at least that can be replaced at a low cost.

Logistically, it can be done. I think the hard part is tying up your loose ends beforehand, and finding employment. That is my problem. Hope that helps, and good luck!

Hi NJBABE,

We wanted to move this Summer but we cannot because I am taking a training that ends in November. So as soon as I finish it we'll be down there. I love working out, and we are looking into Coral Gables/South Miami area. If you'd be around, then you also have a gym buddy on me.

Thanks for the advice about the furniture. We just bought a bedroom and living room set and I am not planning on buying another one, so we'll invest in lost of rope. lol!

Employment is defintely one of our priorities. We'll be looking for josb before moving, but we are getting financially prepared for 6-8 months worth of living expenses, I hope it does not take that long to find a job, but just in case. We do not want money to stop us from leaving this FREEZING weather.

Do you have a moving date yet? What part of Florida would you like to move to?

Take care.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123