Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How did you make it in Miami? Please share

Hey all,

I'd like to know your experiences and how difficult it was for you to move to Miami. How long did it take you to find a job? For how long have you lived there?

I need to hear people's ventures so I can learn from them and know what to expect once I move.

Thanks.

La Femme

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Great question, La Femme.

Before i tell you my story about how I made it, can you answer a few questions for us?

What kind of job are you looking for?

Do you speak Spanish?

Have you visited Miami before?

I have been here for one month. Getting a job in the service industry or retail is fairly easy, and very quick. I went on an interview and started the next day..

I think it's a great idea to move here from wherever! I was sort of stuck in a rut back home and moving somewhere new really gave me some new ideas, new inspiations, and different ways of looking at things.

Anyway, I'm still in the process of "making it", do we ever really know when we do?

The hardest thing for me is not having my friends here. It's sad, but I talk to them/text/email, but I can't just leave my apartment and meet them for dinner or drinks. But it's exciting too, because you get to meet new people!!

And you need money to move here! Lots...

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Great question, La Femme.

Before i tell you my story about how I made it, can you answer a few questions for us?

What kind of job are you looking for?

Do you speak Spanish?

Have you visited Miami before?
    Hi Gus,

I am looking for office/clerical/administrative jobs. That's the area where I have most of my experience. I also have retail experience and I am willing to take a job in retail off the bat to start. I'd do any job that is honest and legal. lol.

I am originally from DR, so Spanish is my first language.

And I've been to Miami twice, and I knew from the moment I landed there the first time, that it was the place for me. Miami has a je ne sais quoi that makes me feel closer to home, even though is thousands of miles away. Maybe is the beach, maybe is the hot weather, or maybe is the fact that most of the people speak my language. Whatever it is, Miami was love at first site.

Quote Originally Posted by sungal
    Anyway, I'm still in the process of "making it", do we ever really know when we do?

The hardest thing for me is not having my friends here. It's sad, but I talk to them/text/email, but I can't just leave my apartment and meet them for dinner or drinks. But it's exciting too, because you get to meet new people!!

And you need money to move here! Lots...
    Hi Sungal,

Thanks for your reply.

I've read many of your threads and I can tell that you made some friend among the Miamibeach411 community. Good thing you found this website and you have local people to talk too.

I can understand how you feel about not having your friends here. I went through the same thing when I move to the USA couple of years ago. It took me some time to meet people, but it helped me a lot to make friends faster was the fact that I started going to school right away, and I also did some volunteer work. If you have the time and it's of your interest, you should try that. Those new friends will not replace lifelong friends you may have back home, but they will make your stay more pleasant.

Regarding the money, I took a part time job and all of that extra money goes into my MIAMI ACCOUNT, I know it sounds crazy but I do have an account just for that. Hopefully it will be enough for the first months until I land a job.

I moved to Miami at the end of December. I used a realtor from this forum to help me find a place. I flew out like 2 weeks before my planned moved and she took me around and showed me tons of places on the beach. I picked one i liked on Lincoln Rd. Unfortunately the woman who owned it was taking her sweet ass time moving out and i had to return to work by Jan 9th. So she found me a place just across the bay in Midtown that i could move into that day. The place is really nice, sucks its not on the beach but im right next to the bridge and takes all of 7 min to get to the beach by car.

Overall it was a bit of a hassle moving to Miami. I drove with all my stuff in my car from vegas and because the one lady was taking so long to move out of the original condo i had to stay in a hotel for about a week till we found another place i could move into.

I got to live there for about 3 days before i had to return to work, i work overseas, and during that 3 days i basically just shopped for furniture didnt really get to enjoy miami that much. But i got vacation next month so i'll make up for it then.

ohh also, if your looking to save a bit of money and dont have to live on the beach my building, Midtown4, is waiving all move in fees and application fees and all you pay is 1st and last. Saves you thousands of dollars

Quote Originally Posted by wpns4l
    ohh also, if your looking to save a bit of money and dont have to live on the beach my building, Midtown4, is waiving all move in fees and application fees and all you pay is 1st and last. Saves you thousands of dollars
    How much is a month rent for 1 and two bedroom apartment there? Also, how far is that form the Gables and Downtown?

www.midtownmiami.com is the website

My building is at 3301 NE 1st Ave. Its about 2-3 miles from Downtown. Not sure about Gables.

Dont know how much 1bedrooms cost but they have 2bed/2bath ~1300sqft for about $1850 a month and 2bed/2bath ~1700sqft places for $2100 a month. Everything is brand new in the units, i had to peel off the plastic and stickers from my fridge, stove, dishwasher and everything. Washer/Dryer in unit. Granite counters, S/S appliances, tile floors, Balcony, Gym, Spa, Pool. The pool is actually pretty awesome, its on the roof of the 7th floor. Im trying to talk them into building a volleyball court on the pool deck in the big grass area they have.

If you're rich they have like two story units too but i have no clue how much those are, i would assume a lot.

Also we have a 6 story gated parking garage so you're not parking out on the street or in the elements. Secruity is pretty good, i see them all over the place. Where right next to the midtown shopping center. They allow pets.

Really the only thing i dont like about my building is that its not in SoBe and i cant walk to the beach or to lincoln or anything.

Wow, it sounds like a great place. I'll check it out. I'll see if I can find info about the 1 br apartments because we cannot afford the 2 br ones. It is way over our expectations.

Thanks again for so much info. I'd appreciated.

Hi Lafemme, welcome to the forums!

I have lived here all my life, so I can't really say that I moved here and made it somehow. Although I will say I'm still trying to "make it" but that's more of a career thing than a Miami thing. And in certain ways, I've already "made it" -- I've done some pretty interesting things in my life.

If you're looking for a 1 BR, you can do much better than those Midtown prices. I saw a very large 1 bedroom in South Miami yesterday for $965. As well, a realtor emailed me listings for a bunch of 1 bedrooms in Coral Gables & South Miami from $800 - $1000.

The most important thing I can suggest is that you try to live somewhat close to where you work. Rush hour traffic is awful here. So it's a chicken/egg proposition. I'd also start looking for jobs in monster.com, careerbuilder.com and craigslist.

wpns ... those apartments and amenities sound really nice. I love it when everything is brand new. A lot of people ask about Midtown - do you spend a lot of time in your neighborhood or mostly hang out in the building?

Thank you Maria. I loved the Gables and South Miami the last time I was there. Those two places are in our priority list. Do you Speak spanish? Where are your ancesters from? I ask because I have been told that if you speak Spanish in Miami, your stay is way easier. Is it English like a second language there? Really?

Yes, I do speak Spanish. My ancestors are from Spain and Cuba.

It does help if you speak Spanish around here. But honestly, it all depends on what part of Miami-Dade county you frequent. I can go days without needing a word of Spanish in public. I only *have to* speak it at home.

I also love South Miami & the Gables, esp the area in between South Miami and the Gables. This is old homesteading & pioneering country, believe it or not ... thankfully preserved without a million high-rise condos. I volunteer at Fairchild and I love hanging out at Matheson Hammock. I lived on the beach for over 10 years but to me, this area is the true tropical Miami. The beach seems like a concrete jungle compared to this.

I am looking for a 1 bedroom in this area to move to (I currently am staying with family) in the next few months, so I've been investigating. The prices seem reasonable. You get a lot of square footage for your buck.

I lived in South Miami from high school through grad school and I grew up in Coral Gables (near Sunset Drive), so, if there's anything you need to know about the area, let me know. I know it like the back of my hand! Or better! :-)

Good luck in your apartment searc Maria. I thought that South Miami was really expensive. The last time I was there I looked around and asked for apartment prices and the cheapest one I heard of was $1,400/month. Is it realistic to find an apartment in that area for around $1,000 or less?

Yes! South Miami/South Coral Gables is not really that expensive (or at least not anymore) ... there is even a 1 bedroom apartment off gorgeous Edgewater drive for under $1K. Wish I could move *right now* into that one! There's also another one off Alhambra Circle for $900. Really, really nice locations.

I even saw a house for rent around the corner for under $1300. And that's a full 2 bedroom house.

Our story is kind of interesting from a moving-to-Miami standpoint. This was about 6 years ago.

Initially, we just saved up some money, around $2000, quit our jobs, loaded up the truck and headed down. We had the benefit of my folks having a house in Naples. They were not there, so we stayed there for a month. I would spend all night scouring Monster, Careerbuilder, and all the other job-related sites for Annette. I sent out hundreds of her resumes. From that, she got some interviews, and we would drive over for the day and do them. We commuted like that for about a month before we decided we had to take the plunge.

We found a nice studio on South Beach and moved over, still neither of us having jobs. She is an experienced administrative person and finding someone willing to pay an appropriate amount was challenging. After a few more weeks of living off our savings, she got three offers all at once. She took the best one, which was at the now-destroyed Holiday Inn at 22nd and Collins. It took a LOT of hard work to find a decent job, I can tell you that.

As for me, I am not really a "desk" type, so we were not sure what we going to do. As it happened, that worked itself out. We are both mountain bikers and wanted to get involved in the community when we moved here. So, we volunteered at a race that was happening up at Markham. We met a guy there who was setting up his own TV show called Mountain Bike TV. He had some good technical people with him, but no one to run the business side. After we helped him with the event, he hired me on to do the business side.

However, TV is a tough biz, and after a year the money guy got cold feet and dissolved the company. The guy I was working with was Henry Stone's son (google him, seriously). Henry wanted to get back into the music biz, but needed a business-guy. My friend recommended me, and that's where I have worked ever since.

My point: Network. If you want a decent job you HAVE to get up off that couch, turn off the TV, and get out and meet people. You can do like we did and volunteer. Or, there are TONS of networking events going on around town all the time. Join clubs. Take a few classes. Go to church. Post on online messageboards. Do everything you can do to meet more people. This is THE most important thing you can do for your career, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles
    Yes! South Miami/South Coral Gables is not really that expensive (or at least not anymore) ... there is even a 1 bedroom apartment off gorgeous Edgewater drive for under $1K. Wish I could move *right now* into that one! There's also another one off Alhambra Circle for $900. Really, really nice locations.

I even saw a house for rent around the corner for under $1300. And that's a full 2 bedroom house.
    Wow Maria, thanks for that. When we went to Miami last year we went to a restaurant on Biscayne Blvd. It was a cuban restaurant but I can't recall the name, food was yummy though. I remember I asked one of the waiters about the Gables area and he told me that it was "IMPOSSIBLE" to find an apartment in that area for under $1,500. When I asked him where he lived, he said that he lived in Miami. I guess taht you have to ask people who live in the city you want to live in for accurate information.

Our move is still months away, but days are going by fast. Can't wait to be there. Thanks for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by coach
    Our story is kind of interesting from a moving-to-Miami standpoint. This was about 6 years ago.

Initially, we just saved up some money, around $2000, quit our jobs, loaded up the truck and headed down. My point: Network. If you want a decent job you HAVE to get up off that couch, turn off the TV, and get out and meet people. You can do like we did and volunteer. Or, there are TONS of networking events going on around town all the time. Join clubs. Take a few classes. Go to church. Post on online messageboards. Do everything you can do to meet more people. This is THE most important thing you can do for your career, period.
    Thank you Coach for so much information. You just showed me that you can't limit your horizons, and that you can if you think you can.

I totally agree with Networking. That's how I have found most of my jobs. Thanks for sharing your story. it was inspiring.

Oh, by the way. Do you know of any good places where I could volunteer and make friends? I already know I'll make friend at the Gym. I love the gym and I am currently taking yoga classes, which I am definetely continuing there. But are there other places that you'd recommend besides this?

I do not think that the bars and night clubs would be good spots. I am married, and I all want is to make friends, motstly around my age (25), and besides, I want those friends to be sober at least the first time I meet them, lol.

I think, if you are so inclined, that there are tons of arts organizations that you might find interesting. Even some place like the Miami Arts Museum, might be cool. But there are lots of arts organizations here, and the arts scene is really bubbling these days.

We volunteered for the Arsht Center for a while (when it was called the Carnival Center) and that is very cool. Met some neat people, though a lot of it is older folks.

Since we moved here 6 years ago, we have volunteered at Care Resource. It is an AIDS/HIV support organization, so you end up working with a lot of gay folks. Actually, that was the way Annette got her second job, after the Holiday Inn got demolished. She worked at Care Resource as their Volunteer Coordinator for a while.

So, what kind of interests do you have? Maybe I can direct you better if I know what you like to do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast