Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Peoples originating from latin america have peculiar ways in responding to where they originated when asked. When someone would say they were from South America, I would respond with; De Bogota o Cali ? My mother and her family would proudly take the opportunity to pronounce they are from Costa Rica in lieu of the common response.

After have seen this polemic issue arise more than a few times, I think the consensus is they preferred to be called Hispanics. If you are stickler for details, latino is considered those that are from romantic speaking countries even including Romania.

Hope things turn out well for you in Miami. If not, there are plenty of Boriquas in CFL to lend a hand.

That's why I never thought the term was any good at designating Latins as a separate race, because like you point out, Italians and French also speak Latin-derived languages, and are considered to be of the same race as Britons. I don't think we've really got the terminology sufficiently designated.

For example, we say African-American to designate people of dark color, but light-colored Moroccans, Libyans, Algerians and Egyptians who immigrate to the US would also by definition be African-Americans. As would white South Africans.

I always liked that about South Africans. I knew a SA Jewish kid in Uber-PC Seattle who got into my High School by saying he was African American. Kid showed up and was paler than most of the sun-deprived Seattle gringos, causing a bit of a stir. But eventually they let it slide. This is what you get for using stupid PC terms.

And Doug, you are absolutely right. It's a fact that drives light-skinned Argentines crazy, but if they were to show up at anywhere in the West (save for maybe LA or SF) and start speaking Spanish, they would immediately be referred to by everyone as Mexican, no matter how many times they corrected people. Some may think that's sad, but the fact is in this country if you come from South of the Rio Grande, much of the populous lumps you into the ethnic group known as "Mexican."

gr82beam

Politically,it is a move of the leftists,to distinguish "Hispanics " & to turn them against the " whites" .
    Te " Latin " belong to the white race,they are christians & should be indistinguishable from euro-american

Better in this forum to call anyone by his specific ethnic origin,when appropriate...

Quote Originally Posted by gr82beam
    Te " Latin " belong to the white race,they are christians & should be indistinguishable from euro-american
    What do you call a person of African origin from the Dominican then? I call them Latin, so I don't agree that all Latins are white. Many are white, some are black, and a lot of us are mixed European and indigenous. As for Christian, I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

gr82beam

Black is black...

Quote Originally Posted by gr82beam
    Politically,it is a move of the leftists,to distinguish "Hispanics " & to turn them against the " whites"
    I laughed when I read this because I have a friend who says that it is a move of the fascist-conservatives to pit "Hispanics" against "Blacks" lol I'm not a conspiracy theorist though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12