Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New User

Default Thinking of moving here soon

hey everybody im a single 21year old spanish chick,thinking of moving to miami beach.I live in springfield,ma and i have a very hard life here and my mom just threw me out because she wants her new bf to live with her and thinks that he feels attracted to me because im young and ect.so im staying in a motel right now and working as a cna and im saving my money because i just want to move away and never be heard from again..and i think my miami is perfect for me:D i speak spanish and english and i got a car.i'm all alone but i think i'll be okay. what do you guys think??

Hey, you might do well here, but don't make it about running away from your mother and stepfather, make it about starting your adult life. 21 seems like a good age to do that. I would save up about $5000 first, because it may take you a while to get a job, though the health field is still in high demand and it shouldn't take too long. You might want to spend a little time here first on a visit to make sure it's right for you. South Beach is a beautiful place, but it can also be a little shady and hard to get to know people at first. That kind of goes with its transient nature. You also might want to consider getting a roommate, rather than dealing with the expense of getting an apartment on your own. You can find them on craigslist or on roommates.com...

So you're from Spain?

New User

noo im from massachusetts. and im puerto rican..

Are you a CNA in Mass? Have you looked into getting certified in Florida?

New User

yes i am a cna in mass..but i havent looked in getting certified in fl,I thought i could work as a cna over there with my certificate. so i will look into that.

Yeah, I rarely tell people they'd do well in Miami, but I think you would.

A) You're Hispanic. No city in America will you fit in better than here.
    B) You can find a job easily
    C) You don't seem to have an emotional attachment to "back home," so you're not gonna get homesick when you find it hard to make friends.

Ask anyone here, I rarely say go for it to anyone thinking of moving here, but I think you'll do fine and may actually last more than 2 years.

New User

Thanks!! I feel much better about moving to florida. And true I dont have a emotional attachment to my home or my so called family members. Im the black sheep of the family.So all i really wanna do is start a new life away from here and never be heard from again..And i think south beach would be perfect for me,thanks for all the replys guys =]

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Miami is a great place to get a new start. As a matter of fact, I've hit the reset button here twice. First, in 1992, and then in 2001. No regrets.

New User

thanks for your reply,Gus. im glad miami worked out for you and hopefully it will work for me=]

New User

Quote Originally Posted by forgotten198
    thanks for your reply,Gus. im glad miami worked out for you and hopefully it will work for me=]
    It has been a little hard to meet new people.. (maybe coz i travel for work every now and then) but other than that Miami has been awesome so far! You'll definetly like it here!

Hi guys,

I know this might be a stupid question, but it is not common for latino people in Miami to call themselves Spanish? It is common in New England and I asked my friend who is Dominican why, he wasn't aware there was hispanic people who did not call themselves Spanish (even though he is from DR not Spain).

Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl
    Hi guys,

I know this might be a stupid question, but it is not common for latino people in Miami to call themselves Spanish? It is common in New England and I asked my friend who is Dominican why, he wasn't aware there was hispanic people who did not call themselves Spanish (even though he is from DR not Spain).
    No, people tend to make the distinction between Spanish and hispanic here. You might say a person is Spanish-speaking, but not Spanish, unless they're from Spain.

In Chicago no one calls themselves Spanish unless they are from Spain, and I noticed the same in my time in Miami. The big debate is whether Hispanic should ever be used or is only Latino/a acceptable.

I don't know, Doug. Hispanics here tend to distinguish themselves by nation or origin (I'm Colombian or Brazilian) or a lot of Cubans seem to tell people they are Spanish-Irish or something.

However, among the gringo population, such as it is, in my experience most Hispanics are casually referred to as "Spanish." If we want to get more specific, we may go into nation or origin, but typically you will hear someone say "Yeah, I met this hot little Spanish girl at Slim's last night." And it is taken to mean she is Hispanic.

gr82beam

I believe the most polite is to call anyone by his specific ethnic origin ...

Up north in NJ people say Spanish for Mexican, Puerto Rican, Dominican, for example. I think everyone does not like the word "Hispanic"..it just sounds mean, and reminds people of an old derogitory term that I'd rather not say. If someone were Brazilian or Argentianian, they would be called just that.

For some reason in Miami, I notice that "Latin" is used and I like that...

gr82beam

Is there any nickname for the Greeks ?

Neutral,derogatory,whatever,I don't mind...

Quote Originally Posted by sungal
    Up north in NJ people say Spanish for Mexican, Puerto Rican, Dominican, for example. I think everyone does not like the word "Hispanic"..it just sounds mean, and reminds people of an old derogitory term that I'd rather not say. If someone were Brazilian or Argentianian, they would be called just that.

For some reason in Miami, I notice that "Latin" is used and I like that...
    There's a political side to it to, since "Hispanic" was created by the government for census purposes. I have friends who say we should never call ourselves Hispanic, only Latino/a. Personally, I don't care, either is better than spic which I have been called a few times in my life. Besides, Hispania was the name of the Roman province that included the Iberian peninsula, and Latin is a dead language and Latinos don't speak it, so I'm not sure how one is better than the other.

I agree that Latin sounds better than hispanic. I was only saying what I thought sounded better between the terms hispanic and Spanish. If you happen to be addressing a person of a specific nationality, rather than Latin people as a whole, recognizing them by their nationality is even better. I know I feel better when someone recognizes me by something more distinctive than anglo, gringo, or gabacho!

Just make sure you have the right nationality. A lot of Americans call anyone who speaks Spanish "Mexican".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast