Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Florida Driver's License...

I need to get a FL DL asap so that I can attend college in a year and pay in state tuition...where do I go? And will it be an all day process?

Santana

Lacye, get ready to be there for a while! The DMV's take a really long time. Even with an appointment.

I know there is a DMV on 1405 SW 107 Ave.

License locations

Preferred Member

Lacye....when I first moved to CA I couldn't get a license (immigration restrictions). My state school took a phone bill that was in my name as proof of my date of residency. Maybe they can do the same in FL (I imagine they can because of the same immigration restrictions that are still in place and probably a common occurrence in FL)?

When she says get "ready to be there a while," she means that day. Like you will be in and out with your new license in the same day, but it can take a few hours.

The office in Hialeah is surprisingly quick (I'm not joking) and the one at the courthouse at the North Dade Justice building also isn't awful. Avoid the one in Coral Gables at all costs though.

Another thing people here do is go down to the office in the Keys, which is typically much less crowded. Probably take you just as long, but it's time driving in the keys rather than sitting in a DMV office.

Thanks Matt! I might just do that! Haven't been to the keys yet anyway! Okay, here is my next installation of questions...Another reason I need the Florida Id is because my purse was stolen and had everything in it! All forms of picture id, along with my Social Security Card. I do have birth certificate...will that be enough to get a Driver's license? Also, I wont have to take the test and everything again will I? I do have a Minnesota's DL, just not physically in my pocession, because of those filthy thieves!:)

You need proof of address, proof of social security number, and two forms of ID

http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/faqkeys.html#USC

Quote Originally Posted by lacye
    Thanks Matt! I might just do that! Haven't been to the keys yet anyway! Okay, here is my next installation of questions...Another reason I need the Florida Id is because my purse was stolen and had everything in it! All forms of picture id, along with my Social Security Card. I do have birth certificate...will that be enough to get a Driver's license? Also, I wont have to take the test and everything again will I? I do have a Minnesota's DL, just not physically in my pocession, because of those filthy thieves!:)
    you better report your social security card as stolen to the social security office and all of the credit reporting services. Also, can you request a duplicate DL from Minnesota? And do you have a passport? If so then you can use that as photo ID

sounds like ur F***ED

Preferred Member

I don't think you need to retake the road test....just the written!

If you can get a copy of the DL from MN, then no new road test. You can get an ID card without either, since that is not a license. But if you get pulled over or something, you'll have to explain your sad situation to the cops. Believe it or not, they are typically pretty understanding about that.

Layce! Nice to hear from you..so I guess you have a new phone? I can't believe you need to go do all that stuff because of the theif!! I watch Law and Order-did you check the trashbins on the beach-they just take the $$ and dump the other stuff!

But in sobe, a theif could just pick up the girl's bag, give her the contents, and sell the handbag on ebay..

Those thieves have wisen up, they're selling stuff on eBay, wow.

The office that Santana mentioned, 1450 Sw 107th Ave, is pretty quick.

The office I suggest is the one in Coral Gables right next to Merrick Park. Someone let me in on the secret of the little office.

I literally walked in and out in about 15 minutes.

GO THERE!The one by FIU gets packed sometimes. Coral Gables office never does!

Quote Originally Posted by Kristine
    The office I suggest is the one in Coral Gables right next to Merrick Park. Someone let me in on the secret of the little office.

I literally walked in and out in about 15 minutes.

GO THERE!The one by FIU gets packed sometimes. Coral Gables office never does!
    There's still a wait there if you don't have an appointment, but you are right, it's nowhere near as bad as the one by FIU...

The GABLES office? Are you KIDDING ME?! I've waited hours, HOURS in that place when I first moved here. I'm not sure when you guys are going, but I've seen lineups at that place before it even opened. I say avoid it like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer
    The GABLES office? Are you KIDDING ME?! I've waited hours, HOURS in that place when I first moved here. I'm not sure when you guys are going, but I've seen lineups at that place before it even opened. I say avoid it like the plague.
    I have never seen a line, but I have heard that it gets mad packed. I assume its because of the UM kids, when I went, it was towards the end of a spring semester, and in the summer it seems desolate...

New User

Hi, I have one question ... if you have GC, SSN and your actual license is from another Country what it's the process to get the Florida Driver License ? do you need to take classes and the exam or just they can match your actual license ?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by sepa; 07-22-2011 at 03:57 PM.

Default Re: Florida Driver's License...

Quote Originally Posted by sepa View Post
    and your actual license is from another Country what it's the process to get the Florida Driver License ?
    It all depends on which country. Where is your original license from?

New User

Default Re: Florida Driver's License...

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    It all depends on which country. Where is your original license from?
    Uruguay ... I want to know if I have to take exams, classes, etc. or if I can only match it

thanks in advance.

Oh wow, for that country I am sorry but I don't know.

Some countries have an agreement with the USA, for example France. They drive on the same side of the road as America so you do not need to re take the test. I come from Britain so I drive on the left side there. For this reason I had to take the test here to get my license.

What side do Uruguay drive on?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast