Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Thread: 900 Biscayne

Default 900 Biscayne

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any opinions/experiences with 900 Biscayne? I saw this place on Craigslist, and while a bit on the expensive side for renting (from owners), it seems like a ridiculously nice place!

Also, how is the location? I hear downtown is very desolate, but the buildings there are so nice (10 Museum Park, 900 Biscayne) that I wonder whether it's worth it. How is the nightlife, and how easy is it to get to South Beach, traffic-wise?

Thanks for your help

Haven't lived in 900 Biscayne, but its one of several condos recently built. It might be a bit empty. To go to SoBe, you simply take the MacArthur Causeway which
    is like 2 blocks away or the Venetian bridge which is around 16th St.

Downtown is desolate after 5 or 6PM. Camillus House is a few blocks away, and several homeless spend time hanging around (Camillus House, a local homeless support center is moving to a new location probably next year).
    There are a few clubs closeby, including Space,Nocturnal, The Vagabond and the White Room. Several blocks south is Brickell, where you can find some good restaurants and bars.

How much are the 1R going for?

1br 2 baths, about 1,000 sq. ft. has asking price of $2k+. This is definitely much more expensive than a similar place in Brickell, but the building itself is much more nicer. However, given the desolate location, I wonder if its worth it.

The above prices are from websites, so Im not sure how much below those prices the units are actually renting for.

New User

I am definitely not an expert on this, but I heard on a TV show that, when looking at the skyline of Miami from South Beach, what you're looking at (condo wise) is only 20% full/occupied. Including those big condo buildings, etc. So that should tell you something?

yeah i've been hearing that too. i guess I'll have to visit these places and see how bad/good they are.

Hi Wagster! Honestly all you have around there at night for the time being is the homeless and drug addicts behind you off NE 2nd avenue and across you in Centennial Park. You'll also have to deal with traffic jams caused by events at the Miami Arena. Bayside, which is somewhat caticorner across the street, is a nice outdoor mall, but very touristy, although there is a gorgeous riverside walk.

This is something you have to determine for yourself. I have a friend who lives in the Loft 2 just a few blocks away and he doesn't mind the fact that Downtown is desolate at night. He just adapts and he's a guy, so he doesn't feel threatened. The views are gorgeous and there's a lovely rooftop pool and gym area, but the street is dead as a door knob at night. Things may change in the future, when museum park is built (the actual park) and other downtown developments are completed.

I like Brickell more because it's just "warmer" atmosphere-wise. It's got more trees and there's more things you can walk to, like Mary Brickell village, which has some nice restaurants. You'll see lots of people jogging or walking down the tree-lined avenue every day. And if you do want to go downtown (which is just across the river) it is a very short drive or cab ride to the club section there. You can also take the above-ground train, metromover, to move between downtown and Brickell.

The beach is just over the causeway but Brickell is not that much further away. Also, in Brickell, you're a little closer to Key Biscayne, which boasts some very gorgeous and more "natural" beaches.

Hope this helps! Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the advice Maria, appreciate it! MBeach411 has been very useful in helping me decide where to live.

The desolate surroundings is probably why these apartments are so cheap. I wonder if the high vacancy rate means that the bldng. amenities are not maintained...

Anyway, I only plan to move down to Miami in July/August, but I was hoping to make an initial trip to look at places sometime this month. Is this way too early? I've never been to Miami before, so I want to take some time to acquaint myself with the area before deciding between Brickell, Downtown, and SoBe. (I can easily commute to work from these areas).

At one of those buildings, I don't remember which one, I called once and they told me they're selling 1R apts for $99.000, which means they're desperate to sell.

Hi wagster, while you won't really be able to secure a place to rent this early, it is always an excellent idea to come before hand and reconnoiter! I highly recommend it. This way when you do start looking for places, you'll know more or less what the neighborhoods are like.

What part of town will you be working in?

Yes, I think it'd be nice to check some places out early.

I'll be working near Brickell Ave and 8th St, and trying to choose between Sobe/Brickell/Downtown. With the latter two options, I'd want to walk to work, and so by not having a car hopefully I can afford a nicer place.

My plan was to take a day to look at Brickell/Downtown, where I feel I have a good idea of the buildings that I want to check out (and make appointments directly with the buildings), and then get a broker to show me around Sobe for a day. This is again just to reconnoiter areas, not necessarily to sign. Will brokers be willing to spend a few hours showing me around South Beach if I'm honest in my intention only to sign in July/August? If I like the broker (and decided to do South Beach), by all means I will use them to sign.

I'd stay in a hotel in the Brickell/Downtown, so I can see how easy it is to get a cab and go to south beach, come back, etc. I've lived in college towns all of my (post 21st birthday) life, and I've never had to deal with driving or public transport when going out. So this will be interesting.

Hi wagster! Brickell and 8th is a really nice area to work in.

I'm not sure about the broker wanting to show you apartments (if you told them the truth!) ... I guess it would depend on the individual. They're working to get a cut of the deal, so you know how that is.

There are a couple of rental buildings that I know of in the Brickell area. One is the Camden and the other is called One Broadway. These are close to Mary Brickell Village, which is the new trendy area with cool restaurants, etc ;

Another option would be to look at rentals from individual owners.

Living in Miami without a car is extremely challenging. Public transport here is not like in other cities and cabs are expensive. Even if you can walk to work, you'll probably want a car just to expand your level of experience here. It'll be hard for you to get to other parts of town as the Metrorail only goes to selected locations. And also, a car will be helpful in your social life.

Within Brickell/Downtown though, you can totally get around by foot or using the metromover (local train). And in South Beach, you don't really need a car either as there is a local 25 cent bus. But you'll sort of be "stuck" more in either neighborhood.

Also, the weather is hot, muggy and rainy in the summer. Sometimes a car helps keep you dry if you need to arrive somewhere really presentable.

Anyway, you'll get a lay of the land once you're here.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

So a broker agreed to show us around very early (I was honest with them), because I was referred to them by a previous client. They are showing me around South Beach (looking at the condos/buildings as opposed to non doorman units).

As far as Brickell/Downtown, I feel like I don't need a broker because many of the properties' mgmt is renting units (or acts as the middleman between an owner and a renter), but they offered anyway.

Do you guys think that it is harder to negotiate a good price with a broker involved, since 1.) mgmt has to pay the commission and 2.) the broker is 'incentivized' to maximize the rent?

Your intuition is probably right. It's always easier to negotiate with a private owner since he doesn't have that "overhead" of commission costs. But heck, it can't hurt to try. I would imagine the management companies have very strict pricing. But people are also eager to fill units, so you never know.

I would investigate to see if there are comparable units rented by an owner.