Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Towns close to South Beach for a short commute

Ok, part of the issue of me applying for jobs I see on Craigslist is that I have no idea about what towns would work for me, public transportation wise.

I'm just not sure how long it would take by bus to get there. Since this is not going to be a high paying/fantastic position, I really wouldn't want my commute time to be longer than 25-30 minutes. And I'm not sure which towns are accessable by bus.

Here are some of the town I usually come across.

Kendall
    Downtown Miami
    Coconut Grove
    Aventura
    Cutler Bay
    Brickell
    Doral
    Miami Lakes

Preferred Member

Stay away from Kendall, Doral, Miami Lakes if you're working on the beach. Those commutes are an hour each way easy, and that's in your own car.

Aventura is also too far for me, but some might disagree.

Cutler Bay is DEFINITELY too far.

As you live on the beach, can't you see about getting a job here first? As getting the bus to work will get really old, really quickly.
    Levis is hiring on Collins part time I think.
    I am going for dinner on Lincoln tonight and will look for hostess chairs!

Unfortunately, because you live at least 3 miles from any of the mainland, even the closest town there is going to take at least 15-20 minutes to get to by bus. Bal Harbor is nearby, because it is just 80 blocks north, on the island.

It takes me about 20 minutes drive, in light traffic, to get to Coconut Grove. You might be able to make Miami Springs in that amount of time. And possibly Coral Gables, on a good day. Most of what you run into within a 25-30 minute bus ride is just plain old City of Miami.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Sungal, none of the towns you listed are close to South Beach.

Honestly, if you're going to live in South Beach, without a car, you really want to work here.

Commuting to the mainland via public transportation, will take you at minimum 90 minutes each way.

What about working for the City of Miami or Miami Beach?

You got me thinking about good places to work, so I started a list.

Why not look for something downtown though? I know someone who is car-less in SoBe and works just off the causeway. The bus commute is ok, she tells me. Plus, once you are dropped off, you can take metromover to numerous locations, including Brickell, which is a big business/financial district. I would recommend downtown/Brickell for a daytime job.

The other locations -- forget it. I agree with the others.

Best option is to stay on the island.

What about Key Biscane? Can I take a bus? If I find a great job I have no problem shipping my car down...

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

To take a bus from South Beach to Key Biscayne would take at least 2 hours.

If you ever need a ride anywhere, I'll be happy to drive you.

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    But to take a boat or jetski takes 10 minutes!

Thanks for the offer Gus!

In NJ we have ferries that take people to NY..you getr across the Hudson River in 7 min. I wonder why Miami does not have ferries or water taxis..or do they?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus

If you ever need a ride anywhere, I'll be happy to drive you.
    Gus! Puttin' on the moves! Nice job, buddy!

Also note that Google Maps has a function where you can determine public transit rountes and times.

Sungal, all kinds of public transport plans from beach to mainland have been in the works but have failed. A water taxi would be great, but there really is no drop-off passenger site for it on either end. Everything would have to be built from scratch.

A rail service to the beach was proposed once but that didn't fly either.

Coach, I wonder how accurate that Google public transport info is?

Quote Originally Posted by sungal
    What about Key Biscane? Can I take a bus? If I find a great job I have no problem shipping my car down...
    It's actually quicker to go from SoBe to Key Biscayne on bicycle than on bus, you avoid the traffic jam and the breeze on the Rickenbacker is amazing.

I agree with Maria and Coach here. The google transit function works great and will tell you bus routes, complete with Metrorail transfers and all that. The Brickell area is not a bad commute from South Beach by bus at all - it's pretty easy. One bus goes right there...not bad at all. That also happens to be where all the good jobs in MIA are, right in those shiny office buildings :) Good luck!

As a shoot off question, a guy posted here a while ago about a job in Cutler Ridge and someone told him he could live in Brickell and take the Metrorail....this is wrong...the last stop on the Metrorail is Dadeland South. In fact, it seems like there is no way to get to Culter Ridge using public transit, unless you want to do metrorail->bus->25 min walk. If you have a job there, where is the ideal place to live if you want to live on the water (not necessarily the beach)? Is Culter Ridge closer to the Keys-like could you live on Key Largo?

Hi Bond Girl

I would not work in Cutler Ridge and live in Key Largo. It's not impossible, but you're still talking an hour drive each way.

If you want to live by the water in the Cutler Ridge area you'll have to try some of the neighborhoods by the bay, but it's not like there are rows and rows of waterfront condos. It's generally gated neighborhoods. Also, a large part of the bayfront down there is part of Black Point Marina, Biscayne National Park and other non-residential areas.

Thx so much Maria. Does Coconut grove have waterfront apartments that are a reasonable commute to Cutler Ridge?

Hi BondGirl! Coconut Grove has plenty of waterfront residential buildings (some of them quite pricey) but that's still not a particularly close commute. I would estimate at least an hour either way, especially if you're going with traffic during rush hour.

There are also a number of hi-rises on the Coral Gables waterway (a little further south than Coconut Grove) at Edgewater Drive.

The only buildings I know of on the bay nearer (but not close) to Cutler Ridge is a luxury hi-rise complex by Chapman Field at 136th avenue and Old Cutler Road. Unfortunately, I don't know the name off the top of my head.

Take a look at the google map below -- you will see how undeveloped the bayfront area is in South Dade. All that green by the bay and white space means there is very limited development. (You will see that Old Cutler Road/Ingraham Hwy are the same road basically.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Maria,

Thanks for your reply, helpful an informative as always :)

Hi Bond Girl! I drove by there yesterday. It is called Deering Bay and is very exclusive -- security gate and all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast