Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default College graduate needs advice where to live near University of Miami

Okay...

I know some of these topics are beginning to sound alike, but I need advice specifically catered to my needs. I am an undergraduate student in Texas who plans to move to Miami to attend graduate school at the University of Miami (go Hurricanes!). I want to move down there to gain residency before actually beginning school, and would like to know the best neighborhoods for me to live in. Of course, I'll be working, and going out is definitely in the equation. I really don't desire to stay with anyone else, unless push comes to shove. I'll basically have all my furniture, transportation, etc. I just need some guidance in the right direction.

Thanks in advance...
    *coko*
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hola Coko!

I went to grad school at UM and lived many years near the Coral Gables campus, so I can definitely help you.

Will your studies keep you on the Coral Gables campus? If so, I totally recommend you live nearby in South Miami/Gables area, a little further north in Coconut Grove/The Roads or a little further south toward Dadeland. There are metrorail points at both areas that can easily take you to campus. Parking is something to consider ... there are "cheapo" parking lots on the outskirts of campus, with shuttle service. Or you can get premium parking passes for a higher rate, but spots are not guaranteed. If you take metrorail you save yourself the hassle of having to worry about being late to class because you couldn't find a parking space.

Time spent commuting could be better spent studying or relaxing! South Miami is kinda boring from a party perspective, but it's SO convenient for your day to day life when going to school at UM. There's a handful of rental apartments in the area. I'd check the local listings.

Coconut Grove is also a little perkier at night on the Bayshore Drive drag. That's probably ideal for you, because it's really very close to UM.

If you find something and tell me the address, I can tell you if it's a good spot.

New User

Thank you for that insight! I'll be visiting the end of May 2007, and will definitely check that out.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, Coko, thanks for posting here.

I think May is the most beautiful month to visit Miami.

My advice if you're living near UM is have a car.

Keep an eye on the apts and housing at craigslist: http://miami.craigslist.org/

And please stay in touch!