Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

HI Twiggers, sounds like you are getting all your ducks in a row!

Preferred Member

Thanks Maria....trying to keep everything together!!

We got our BofA account set up this weekend, just need to start transferring over the direct deposits and billpays.

Some bookshelves and kitchen table sold this weekend! I was planning on doing some furniture shopping this weekend, but just vegged out instead.

A couple projects this week will be to get utilities scheduled for hook up. In addition, my Indiana drivers license is up for renewal this year and since we're keeping a residence up here (at least for awhile) I am just going to keep my IN license and keep the car registered and insured up here (to save some money). So I need to go this week and renew the license, but I also want to get some official quotes for car insurance so that I can be prepared!

Hi Twiggers! The best prices I have ever found (for my age, driving record, and so on) were from State Farm.

Preferred Member

Thanks Maria....this was exactly what I was focused on today!

We will be maintaining a residence here in Indiana (at least until house sells) and so I will keep my insurance, registration, and license in Indiana (my insurance agent actually recommended I do this) until we no longer own property in IN. I currently have AAA for insurance and pay about $260 every 6 months (2009 VW Beetle, no accidents, no tickets, good credit, married, etc.). I know that I will eventually have to insure in FL, and so I wanted to run a couple quotes.

Progressive: $501 every 6 months
    Geico: $546 every 6 months
    State Farm: $865 every 6 months

This was for the EXACT coverage I had with AAA. There are a couple other companies I can try (Travelers, Allstate, Liberty Mutual, etc.), but I think worse case scenario will be Progressive. I had originally estimated insurance to go back to my California rates....around $1200. So I'm actually pleased that it came in around $1000 for the year.

That was about all I accomplished today....spent the majority of day actually getting work done and also taking care of some school stuff.

I think the next major thing on my list will be to schedule electricity hook-up (and cross my fingers that I don't need to pay deposit) and cable stuff.

Wow, I pay more than $300 less than that at State Farm, but I do have a jalopy. :-)

Preferred Member

I wonder if it's the age of the vehicle and the fact that I MUST keep 100,000/300,000 limits on everything because it is a leased vehicle. I think if I bumped down those limits then I would probably save a lot more!

Today's Update:

Today I wanted to focus on utilities. The only utilities that I need to worry about are electricity and cable. So I started with electricity.

I was told that Florida Power & Light (FPL) is the only company available to use. I went online to try and find more information about starting new service. It wasn't really that helpful. They told me that there would be a $14.88 hook-up fee and that, depending on my credit score, I may or may not have to pay a deposit. I couldn't really find any information about how far in advance to hook-up service, etc. So I decided to call in. Their customer service was very friendly. They told me that I could call and get service the same day. They also told me that if a deposit is required that they couldn't take the deposit over the phone (I'd have to do Western Union) and therefore they recommended going online.

So online I went! I set up an online account and then started the 'new service' hook-up. All I needed to put in was my address, social security number (for credit check) and that was it. I set up the start date to be 5/15/09 (a few days before we arrive). When I got through all the pages it informed me that I had excellent credit (yes, that was their exact words) and I did not have to pay a deposit!

That was very speedy and seamless. I was very impressed!

Next was cable. I was told I had to call MDU Communications. This is apparently the company that is in charge of the cable service in the building. My building provides free basic cable. Got through to someone on the phone very quickly and was informed that my building has DirectTV and that I can receive their Choice package (150 channels that retails for $39.99) and 2 free receivers (no monthly fee for them). Well, I have three TVs, one of which is an HD TV (I don't care about HD in the bedrooms....only on the living room TV). I was informed that an HD receiver is $99 for the box, $49 for hook-up, and $10 per month to access the HD channels. However, if I sign up for one year service with DirectTV then it's waived.
    I also remembered that there was no cable hook-up in one of the bedrooms. Was told that it would be $39 fee to come in and hook-up everything.
    Then was told that if I want to upgrade the cable package that I need to call DirectTV to do that.

I didn't make any decisions...mostly because I was totally confused. I get 2 free boxes as part of my rent, and if I get an HD box then that counts as one of them (even though they are waiving the sign-up fees for that box if I commit to a year) and then they charge the $39 fee for the other box. That makes no sense whatsoever to me! The two bedrooms with the standard cable should be free and then they come and do the HD box and it's free because of promotion. I don't know....it was all a bit confusing.

I'm going to figure out exactly how many boxes we will want and what cable package we'll want and then call back again and get it all straightened out. Will likely do that tomorrow or Thursday.

Last night I also hit up a good Kohl's online sale (extra 15% off plus $30 in Kohl's cash, on top of the 60% off sale) and bought new dishes, a new toothbrush for hubby, and some new measuring spoons/cups. Just received the $30 in Kohl's cash in my email....so I'll head there and buy some other things on my list (need some little kitchen stuff). Still have an enormous list of things to purchase!

Oh, and someone emailed about my ShopVac on Craigslist...hopefully that will sell tonight.

Preferred Member

Yesterday I got a couple more things done!

Went to the BMV and renewed my drivers license. So as long as we have the residence up here we'll just keep everything as Indiana in order to save the money on car insurance.

Called and got cable set up. Man, they just nickel and dime you! I order the HD receiver for the living room and 2 boxes for each bedroom. The cost was $49.95 for the installation (which they charged my card ahead of time), and then I'll get an $8.95 fee for maintenance from MDU and $20/month from DirectTV for the box rentals. So annoying. I just keep reminding myself that I am still saving $60/month for the actual cable service.

Also went to Kohl's and used some free money to buy some kitchen stuff that I need to replace.

Oh, and the Shopvac sold! Have a bunch of people coming tonight to pick up stuff.

Things are moving along pretty well....I need to inquire about switching cell phone number over to a 305 number (if it costs anything then I might just keep the Indiana number), and need to start changing addresses on monthly bills.

Lots of people I know keep their old numbers. I don't know if there's a charge -- there shouldn't be.

Seems like everything is going so well. You're one step ahead all the time!

Preferred Member

Thanks Maria! Trying to keep everything running smoothly.

I think I've taken care of almost everything in terms of the move....a couple things I need to buy in terms of furniture, but that is about it.

We still have a few things left to sell on Craigslist, but all the major stuff has sold. I have this huge wool rug that I bought that needs to be cleaned. Since the new apartment has laminate floors I am contemplating getting it cleaned and bringing it (I got it on a super sale at Macy's - regular price was $1500, so I'm going to try and make it work in the new place)!

Yes, some of those good quality items are definitely worth keeping!

Quote Originally Posted by twiggers

Things are moving along pretty well....I need to inquire about switching cell phone number over to a 305 number (if it costs anything then I might just keep the Indiana number), and need to start changing addresses on monthly bills.
    Hey Twiggers!

How come you want to switch your cell phone number over? Does it make a difference? Many of my friends here are from out of state (infact nearly ALL of them. I can count on 1 hand Miami friends born here!) and they didn't change their numbers. Is it cos of the long distance thing? Also, you'll probably end up with a 786 number as I think 305 have run out.

Preferred Member

Hey Jess

I guess I just wanted a new number to try and sever all ties with Indiana....but if 305 is all gone, then I probably won't bother!!!

Well 305 is like original Miami and now there is 786. But I may be wrong...if you have a contract I think you can choose your number so you may get lucky!

You remind me of Carrie in the SATC movie when she says "oh no, I'm a 917 girl!" and Samantha tells her she has to have the 'New' New York number!

I wish I knew 786 was a Florida number. I thought it was only 305. The dishwasher repairman called today, and I didn't answer because I figured it wasn't him. As a result, my sink is still full of dishes! Sneaky new Florida area codes!

Any others I should be aware of?

Too funny!

OK here you go, these are ones I know:

305 and 786 are Miami
    954 Ft Lauderdale/ Broward
    561 West Palm Beach

I actually got one of the first 786 numbers ... lots of zeros in it!

Preferred Member

Just plodding along....our last bit of big furniture sold today (my basement is now all empty). Went furniture shopping and found a great sectional...it's a couch and chaise all in one...which was EXACTLY what I have been wanting forever. I won't be buying any other big pieces up here....I want to wait until we get down to Miami and see exactly how much space we have. We will be needing coffee table, new dresser, living room lamp, and a bar stool. I really, really want a full wall entertainment center with bookshelves and everything. We'll probably drive up to IKEA one day and look around :-)

It's exciting to set up new house though ... you'll be very well prepared by the time you get here!

Preferred Member

It is! I love moving....it's like a whole new fresh start, and that is always fun!

Spent yesterday at Macy's...they have a great Friends & Family sale. Picked up some new flatware and finished off my bathroom shopping. Probably heading back tomorrow to pick up a cookware set.

I'm heading to Chicago for a conference this week....so I'm glad that pretty much everything is done! The remainder of the time between now and moving day will likely be consumed by work stuff. I need to finish packing my office and preparing data, etc. for the move.

So crazy.....in exactly 2 weeks by this time we'll be on the road!!!!!

Oh, I forgot to add that our TripTik from AAA came in this weekend. It's great! It has details on construction, etc. Right now the plan is to make it to the south side of Atlanta on the first day (about 800 miles) and then make it into Miami the next night (600 miles).

Ah! I just did that Atlanta to Miami trip, red-eye version. Whew, lots of caffeine required!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast