Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Living in Little Havana (And Commuting to Coral Gables)

I lived in Miami about 6 years ago, but never really explored Little Havana much (I wasnt in Miami for too long of a time). I am relocating back to Miami to go to UM and was wondering what the commute is like from Little Havana to University of Miami? I can't imagine its that bad, but what does everyone think? I have seen some cheap places there, as opposed to Coral Gables and The Grove (which is the ideal situation). Any info or advice is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by rewind
    I lived in Miami about 6 years ago, but never really explored Little Havana much (I wasnt in Miami for too long of a time). I am relocating back to Miami to go to UM and was wondering what the commute is like from Little Havana to University of Miami? I can't imagine its that bad, but what does everyone think? I have seen some cheap places there, as opposed to Coral Gables and The Grove (which is the ideal situation). Any info or advice is greatly appreciated.
    it really depends on what time your classes are. If you are going to have classes starting around 4 or 5, then the traffic will be a pain because you have to cut through the gables to get to campus. But otherwise, you will probably be ok. Where in Little Havana have you been looking? Also, have you checked out South Miami? That's also pretty close and it's not as expensive as the gables or the grove...

Thanks Christina,
    Well to be honest I haven't really looked too in depth yet. Obviously, the closer to UM the better. I had thought Miami was cheaper than it actually is (I'm an idiot, I know). I was hoping to find something in The Grove or The Gables for less than 1000, ideally I would like my rent and utilities to equal around 1000. Keep in mind a will be a poor grad student, but I would still love to live in a nice area that has stuff within walking distance. I havent looked in South Miami, but is there a business/restaraunt downtown for lack of a better word in S. Miami?

Quote Originally Posted by rewind
    Thanks Christina,
    Well to be honest I haven't really looked too in depth yet. Obviously, the closer to UM the better. I had thought Miami was cheaper than it actually is (I'm an idiot, I know). I was hoping to find something in The Grove or The Gables for less than 1000, ideally I would like my rent and utilities to equal around 1000. Keep in mind a will be a poor grad student, but I would still love to live in a nice area that has stuff within walking distance. I havent looked in South Miami, but is there a business/restaraunt downtown for lack of a better word in S. Miami?
    There is by Sunset Place. Maria lives over in that area, and provided my roommate doesn't bail on me, we are thinking of moving there next. There's shops and restaurants and bars and you can also walk to Publix.

And it seems there are a decent number of graduate students that live there. You can also try looking in the Gables by Douglas Road, its still walking distance to Miracle Mile but cheaper.

Hi Rewind! I just posted a reply and somehow it disappeared! Oh well. Here I go again: I used to be a grad student at UM and all I can say is that South Miami is PERFECT. Forget Little Havana. I love that neighborhood for its culture and while some areas are ok, others are pretty ghetto. Some of those cheap rents may be in buildings that are total dumps.

I saw a nice 1 bedroom in South Miami the other day for $900 and I'm regularly getting listings from a realtor in the Gables for $1000 or less.

South Miami is a great place to live, especially if you can find an apartment near the downtown. Everything is walking distance, including campus, if you don't mind lugging books in the heat. There are movies, restaurants, bars, shops, grocery stores, pharmacies, convenience stores, etc; There's even bowling! I live here now and thoroughly enjoy it.

There is only one area of South Miami I don't recommend and that is just north and west of the metrorail station.

Also, check the area around the Dadeland South and Dadeland North metrorail stations. There are tons of apartments around there.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Rewind! I just posted a reply and somehow it disappeared! Oh well. Here I go again: I used to be a grad student at UM and all I can say is that South Miami is PERFECT. Forget Little Havana. I love that neighborhood for its culture and while some areas are ok, others are pretty ghetto. Some of those cheap rents may be in buildings that are total dumps.

I saw a nice 1 bedroom in South Miami the other day for $900 and I'm regularly getting listings from a realtor in the Gables for $1000 or less.

South Miami is a great place to live, especially if you can find an apartment near the downtown. Everything is walking distance, including campus, if you don't mind lugging books in the heat. There are movies, restaurants, bars, shops, grocery stores, pharmacies, convenience stores, etc; There's even bowling! I live here now and thoroughly enjoy it.

There is only one area of South Miami I don't recommend and that is just north and west of the metrorail station.

Also, check the area around the Dadeland South and Dadeland North metrorail stations. There are tons of apartments around there.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Thanks Maria!

I haven't been in Miami for a long time, and I am just wondering where is the downtown area of South Miami. Is it right on US 1? I am definately looking for someplace as close to school as possible. I still haven't given up hope on The Grove, but I haven't found anything in the 800-1000 range lately. Any other advice you can give me is sooo much appreciated, thanks again,

The older buildings in the Gables (near the downtown Gables area, not those right by UM) routinely have studios and 1-bedrooms for less than $1K - usually around $800 to $950. The downside is that it's older buildings with no amenities (and even fixed up they look and feel old) and in some cases unit A/C's; but the upside is that they're cheap and charming. That "charming" part just being my opinion. :)

The downtown area of South Miami basially runs from Red Road to US-1 along Sunset Drive, and a few blocks north and south each direction.

I lived in Little Havana for a year. I would not describe it as "nice," but it is livable. More of a petty theft kind of neighborhood than a murder/rape kind of neighborhood. But what it is it EXTREMELY well-located, in that you can be on the beach, to the Grove or to UM in 15 minutes (if you don't go at rush hour). I think it's the best value neighborhood in the city. But "nice" is a stretch.

South of SW 8 St. in LH is nicer than north. The part north of Calle Ocho and east of SW 12 Ave. is pretty sketchy, known for Central American gang activity. I would avoid that part; but the area right around 8 St., anywhere from 17 to 37 Ave., and particularly south of 8 St., is fine. Not awesome. But fine.

I dunno, Tere, I lived on NW 7th Ave and 4th St. and never had any problems. But you never know.

Hi I saw your add and would like to help.

I am renting my 1/1 apt at Brickell Roads. I just got married last august and the friend who was currenltly renting it is graduating from UM and moving. I am also a UM alumni and there are three other UM Grad Med students in the building.

I own this apartment; it is a new small building in a great location (This is not Coral Gables but is a exact 8 minute drive to UM in the morning). It is close to Coral Gables, Publix, Walgreens, 95 and in walking distance from Miami Metro-Rail and Metro. All neighbors are young professional. You will have your (1) private Parking Space inside gate and there is free parking around the building for visitors, beside the visitor parking spaces that can be use by resident vehicles.

I just change the floors, so it hardwood floors. I also remodeled the bedroom and built a Walk-in Closet last November. The kitchen is brand new and with granite countertop. The building has a small Gym and a nice view to Brickell skyline. This apt is located in the 4th Floor. (4 floor building)

I am asking 1,000 a month (Internet, water and alarm included) but I am willing to negotiate for 950 if interested.

Let me know if you want to see pictures.

Email me : echavarria.andrea@gmail.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  

How long are you renting it for? And is there furniture in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer
    I dunno, Tere, I lived on NW 7th Ave and 4th St. and never had any problems. But you never know.
    I remember reading some stats from Miami PD and then some related news articles about it, when there was a lot of local news about MS13. If I remember, the gang activity also includes the area of Flagler from about 12 Ave to the bridge and north of that, to NW 7 St.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer
    How long are you renting it for? And is there furniture in there?
    Hi Matt,

I am looking for a 1 year lease. I took the pictures with my furniture but I am renting it without furniture.

Thanks

Andrea