Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    New User

Anyone in favor of Aventura?
    (I saw they had a well rated elem. school)

Quote Originally Posted by rysy
    Anyone in favor of Aventura?
    (I saw they had a well rated elem. school)
    I have a friend who lives in Aventura, and really likes it. Another town I would highly recommend just over the line into Broward is Hollywood. I have friends with 2 young children who moved from the beach up there when she got pregnant and they are very happy there... prices are reasonable for SoFla, schools decent, downtown really cute and has plenty of toy shops along with numerous boutiques and varied dining options...and the beach has volleyball :)

Quote Originally Posted by jasmin
    RihanJ i dont think you have a very good worldview, i am half african and half german and i don't think you have any clue what living and "making a living" in africa is like, or anywhere else considering you still live at home, not trying to be mean but i don't think your experience in miami shores and africa is going to help this family find a place to live in miami
    I'm going there for college not work, just dont worry about it i dont want to explain it. P.S. i'm not dumb theres no work in SA...thats what happens when you jump to conclusions. and one more thing jasmin i recommend miami shores for little kids they have a great rec center with different sports they can play there...

Aventura's a good choice, as well. Depending on your budget, it may be on the pricey side. Otherwise, yes.

New User

Thanks for all these updates. I'm having trouble staying connected from work so will check more at home.

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by rihanJ
    RihanJ i dont think you have a very good worldview, i am half african and half german and i don't think you have any clue what living and "making a living" in africa is like, or anywhere else considering you still live at home, not trying to be mean but i don't think your experience in miami shores and africa is going to help this family find a place to live in miami
    I'm going there for college not work, just dont worry about it i dont want to explain it. P.S. i'm not dumb theres no work in SA...thats what happens when you jump to conclusions. and one more thing jasmin i recommend miami shores for little kids they have a great rec center with different sports they can play there...
    people from africa come to america and europe to get the best education they can get, but i am glad you do have plans to attend college that's great. I went so SA last year i actually had a pretty good time.

HI rysy, you mentioned earlier your husband is working near the airport, right?

Aventura is a nice neighborhood but it's not so close. You might consider Doral, too, which is right where Southcom is. Unfortunately, I can't advice you on the schools there.

It seems like Southcom has a list of recommended housing. Feel free to come back to us if you have questions about a particular address.

Aventura is a nice area, but if you are doing business and/or working in Miami, it can be a real hassle. If you live near the ocean, you have to drive 10-15 minutes just to get to I-95, which is a parking lot between about 7-9 going south into Miami. As I tell everyone, a bad commute can ruin your experience here, so be sure you so not get stuck doing this every day.

gr82beam

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer
    Aventura is a nice area, but if you are doing business and/or working in Miami, it can be a real hassle. If you live near the ocean, you have to drive 10-15 minutes just to get to I-95, which is a parking lot between about 7-9 going south into Miami. As I tell everyone, a bad commute can ruin your experience here, so be sure you so not get stuck doing this every day.
    Even Paradise has its trade-offs...

If " u want to have it all " ( Lopez in Scarface ),

" chicas,champagne,flash " ,

nice house,oceanfront,or with garden & pool,u will accept a commute of at least 30 min,if not 45 min...

New User

My daughter is single will be working for a restaurant chain as a waitress. She is moving two Miami with 2 other adults. Her daughter is 3 and will be attending preschool. They are going to be visiting Miami at the end of this month to apply for work (transfers), find a place to leave, visit preschool/day care centers. Then will return home and get ready for the move. This is their hope...at least.

New User

Since Southcom is in Doral, my understanding is that alot of Military do live in Doral or up in Pembroke Pines. Unfortunately we don't know anyone there to pick their brains but I have checked their housing list.
    When we mention Miami to people we are overwhelmingly coming up with "Coral Gables!".
    CG definitely sounds great, but i don't want to overlook any options.

I would love to live at the beach but I think the commute would be annoying for my husband.

I guess it really is coming down to the schools!

gr82beam

The "schoo; " preference is tricky...

What u actually look for is people in your own socioeconomic class,with similar ideologies,so that their children will be similar to your children...

So u need a district defined by class

working class

lower middle

middle

upper midle

rich

% roughly

blue or red...

District selection made simple...

New User

I am not looking for my daughter/granddaughter to be with a certain "class" of people. I just want her to be safe and since bad people run in all "classes" of people I'll stick with what I initially read in this forum and hope it wasn't done with "class" in mind. My daughter has gone online and read up about some of the places that have been posted in this forum, so really...thank you very much for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by rysy
    Since Southcom is in Doral, my understanding is that alot of Military do live in Doral or up in Pembroke Pines. Unfortunately we don't know anyone there to pick their brains but I have checked their housing list.
    When we mention Miami to people we are overwhelmingly coming up with "Coral Gables!".
    CG definitely sounds great, but i don't want to overlook any options.

I would love to live at the beach but I think the commute would be annoying for my husband.

I guess it really is coming down to the schools!
    When I think of the gables, I think of endless traffic, high housing costs, and hay muy necissito hable espanol... but it is beautiful.. Pembroke pines has some beautiful homes at much better prices than areas east

Quote Originally Posted by rihanJ
    people from africa come to america and europe to get the best education they can get, but i am glad you do have plans to attend college that's great. I went so SA last year i actually had a pretty good time.
    Well i cant afford american college but i will try for scholarship but i doubt it, i can afford it in south africa though, so at least I'll have some qualifications, plus i love it there, if i can get a job there, then I'll saty there. And i lived there from 7-8 years old, my mom is from there too 100% afrikkans and she was born and raised there.

Preferred Member

oh wow thats interesting background, i wish u good luck with everything

gr82beam

Quote Originally Posted by djdnumber7
    I am not looking for my daughter/granddaughter to be with a certain "class" of people. I just want her to be safe and since bad people run in all "classes" of people I'll stick with what I initially read in this forum and hope it wasn't done with "class" in mind. My daughter has gone online and read up about some of the places that have been posted in this forum, so really...thank you very much for your help.
    Wrong,upper middle class & rich districts have near zero crime...

Personally,as a centrist I could feel well accomodated in both red & blue areas,such as...Miami Beach,but certainly not to lower class hoods...Having paroled,high school grads & drug users for neighbours...

Better for a family to stretch its budget to move to better neighbourhoods...

My daughter is single will be working for a restaurant chain as a waitress. She is moving two Miami with 2 other adults. Her daughter is 3 and will be attending preschool. They are going to be visiting Miami at the end of this month to apply for work (transfers), find a place to leave, visit preschool/day care centers. Then will return home and get ready for the move. This is their hope...at least.
    Hi there! Do you know where this restaurant is or is there more than one in the Miami area? A good rule of thumb is to live close to where you work. I'm assuming she will have a car, right?

It's important to know where that job will be, because if she ends up at a restaurant in north miami-dade as opposed to south miami-dade, it's a completely different set of neighborhoods we could recommend.

New User

Wow, really? Not so true here in Minnesota. Although crime is high in the poor neighborhoods with gangs, etc., our high society areas have a mess going on as well from murders right in the streets, to heavy drug use and selling. The only parts of this state that don't have too many problems are in the northern part - complete rural areas, although a famous child abduction came right out of the northern part of our state. Will my daughter choose to live where there are a lot of problems, no, but it certainly won't be because the area is poor. Will she want to live in a district where her daughter will actually learn something, no doubt, but I'm not trying to have a political debate here.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles
    Hi there! Do you know where this restaurant is or is there more than one in the Miami area? A good rule of thumb is to live close to where you work. I'm assuming she will have a car, right?

It's important to know where that job will be, because if she ends up at a restaurant in north miami-dade as opposed to south miami-dade, it's a completely different set of neighborhoods we could recommend.
    LOL...good point sorry I wasn't more specific. I won't know until she returns from her trip exactly where the transfer will be, but she is definitely going to check out the places that you have mentioned and the other ones mentioned earlier in this forum. She does have a car and doesn't mind driving. She did mention that one of the first places she will be visiting is Pinecrest...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast