Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Hi rysy,

The Gables is very nice, actually. I'm not sure what Rebecca is referring to, because so much of it is residential and traffic is minimal unless you're dealing with heavy rush hour in the main arteries, but in the back roads, it's very calm. I never think of traffic when I think of the Gables, actually.

Also, yes, it is somewhat upscale, and you're not going to get the same number of Spanish-speaking service people as you would in Little Havana. There is a major private research university in the Gables and you have many white-collar professionals as well as academics and students living around campus.

There is a youth center, a library and a great commercial street known as Miracle Mile with lots of shops and restaurants. In the Gables, you'd be closer to the beach as well, because Pembroke Pines is way further west. If I could afford the rent, I would not hesitate to live in the Gables with a child. Plus, it is a very beautiful city with historic homes.

However, Pembroke Pines has some very nice residential areas too and it may be more affordable as far as price/square footage is concerned. Unfortunately I don't commute much, so I can't advise you which one would be better for your husband in terms of traffic. I do know that no one has ever been happy to commute up and down the Palmetto Expressway, but there may be a different route, but the 836 West is no picnic in the park either.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by djdnumber7
    LOL...good point sorry I wasn't more specific. I won't know until she returns from her trip exactly where the transfer will be, but she is definitely going to check out the places that you have mentioned and the other ones mentioned earlier in this forum. She does have a car and doesn't mind driving. She did mention that one of the first places she will be visiting is Pinecrest...
    Actually, Pinecrest is a gorgeous and safe neighborhood, though quite pricey. Great choice!

She should also try The City of South Miami, east of US1. In between South Miami and Pinecrest there are a number of preschools. (Pinecrest and South Miami border each other -- but it is not the area *south* of Pinecrest, that is a different city altogether.)

Gus, can we please split this thread into at least two parts?

gr82beam

I wouldn't mind politicizing the debate...if it happens politely & respectfully...

For instance,I would have no problem with Spanish speaking neighbours,as long as they talked to me...in english...

Not to mention that if I study Spanish for 4-5 hours I guess I will understand 99%,from 93% that I get now...

Comprendar espanol es mui facil...

If people have a good heart & a desire to get along,they will co exist peacefully,
    if they have a bad temper,they will fabricate excuses to hate somebody else...

New User

I totally agree on both parts - splitting the conversation as well as debating on politics as long as it is done respectfully. Totally agree. If you split this conversation let me know what to look for. Thanks!

gr82beam

We can keep the comments here,not dispersing them...

I already have...become Americanised,I am willing to make no distinctions based on ethnicity or faith,because...that's American.

If someone wants the "national state" ,a single nation- single faith country,he can stay...in Europe,in monolithic neighbourhoods & cities...

gr8tbeam and Rihan, everyone's comments here are always appreciated, but it's important for topics to stay focused in order to better help members. This thread asks "Where to live with kids?" and what people really want to know is just that -- straightforward hard facts relating to addresses, school district information and commuting issues.

Remember, some of our members don't know anything about Miami, that's why they've landed here -- to get the 411. Moving to a new city can be confusing and overwhelming, so again, it's important we stay focused on the topic.

A political discussion (or any other discussion or topic, for that matter) is always welcome and can easily be created under General Discussion or other pertinent categories.

We actually have several threads going on here right now. I've asked Gus to help us sort them all out.

Thanks everyone for participating and for making this a great forum!

gr82beam

Si senior(it)a...!

New User

Maria:
    Thanks for ALL your tips! i am coming to Miami next week to see
    some schools (& pre-schools) and houses. I know about the places you mentioned
    (youth ctr, etc) and that is a draw for me.
    In my dreams I want to be at the beach but realistically I have a feeling we will
    end up in CG or maybe Pinecrest (realtor seems to like it)

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles
    Maria, thanks for keeping things moving forward. I tried to split the thread, but I don't know where to begin.

Rihan, please stay on topic, ok? Your observations about Miami Shores are appreciated, but the South Africa stuff should be discussed elsewhere (see: southafrica411.com) ;-)

Regarding where to live with kids...

Earlier, I mentioned Palmetto Bay. Allow me to mention Palmetto Bay again, it's a great area for families, similar to Pinecrest, only cheaper. To get there, take US-1 south to SW 152 and drive east.

If you're looking for good schools and reasonably priced housing, Palmetto Bay is where it's at. We even have a skateboard park, nearby.

New User

You are right...def. more for the $ than Cg or Pinecrest
    but is it too far south for us...
    How long would the commute to Doral (Southcom) be?

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

I drive from Palmetto Bay to South Beach, almost everyday.

In traffic, the commute from Palmetto Bay to Doral would take approximately 40 minutes. Most of the drive is on the freeway.

I take the 826, but you might be able to get there quicker if you take the Florida Turnpike to the Dolphin Expressway.

gr82beam

Sticking with the post,
    an apt in a
    a high rise with all its amenities,
    seems a good solution for parents with children up to 12...

rysy, I also agree with Gus about Palmetto Bay. It is actually a very pretty neighborhood bordering Pinecrest so you have the best of both worlds and access to schools, community tennis courts, etc ; safe roads to walk on and so on. It's close to US1, which means you also have easy access to shops, restaurants and conveniences.

As for your beach dream, Palmetto Bay is very close to Old Cutler Road, which is Miami's most beautiful road, next to Brickell (in my opinion). This road borders the bay, but it's so lush and tropical, full of trees, you can't see it from the road.

However, you have gorgeous natural places to hang out that are family friendly, like Fairchild Botanic Garden and Matheson Hammock Park, which boasts a little lagoon beach that's perfect for kids. This little beach even has a shady palm grove, which is the kind of tropical beauty you'd never find on Miami Beach, at least not right by the water. The lagoon is closed off to larger fish so you never have to worry about critters, either. YOu are not surrounded by party-goers or hi-rise condominiums, so it's very natural and peaceful. The view of the bay is breathtaking. It's free to get in after 4:30, too!

Also near this area (and close to Pinecrest/Palmetto Bay) is Pinecrest Gardens, which is a FREE gorgeous tropical garden that is very family friendly. They have activities there for kids and tot water garden with slides and hoses -- perfect for summer. There is also a community center next door.

You can always go to the "beach" beach (Atlantic) on weekends -- either Miami Beach or even Key Biscayne (which is much closer).

gr82beam

I think that Maria & Gus have the experience to present us with a Google type map with the districts of Miami "awarded" colours for overall quality...

Say,green areas,the best,
    yellow,good ,
    red,to avoid

& using intermediate colours too...

dark green,the top,
    light green,
    yellow,
    orange,
    pink,
    red,the bottom...

How about that ?

Once you've committed to livin as far south at Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay isn't much worse in terms of a long commute. Again, if you are working north, best to live north. Although I think Pembroke Pines may be a bit far north, as that commute can be 40 minutes (onabad day) as well. Maybe Miramar or Miami Springs. Pinecrest and PB are nice, but a long way from a lot of things. I guess it depends on your priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by gr82beam
    Most people are aware of the natural beauty of SA,but considering living there,the black poverty,crime & HIV make it undesirable...
    Well, i grew up with plenty of crime in my life, besides all my family is there in fact my uncle even stole a car but he has money and once you get enough money you dont commit crime, but to me the beauty anf wild life in SA out beats all crime poverty and aids. Besides im going to the west coast province not gauteng because cape town is the cleanest safest part of SA.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles
    Maria, thanks for keeping things moving forward. I tried to split the thread, but I don't know where to begin.

Rihan, please stay on topic, ok? Your observations about Miami Shores are appreciated, but the South Africa stuff should be discussed elsewhere (see: southafrica411.com) ;-)

Regarding where to live with kids...

Earlier, I mentioned Palmetto Bay. Allow me to mention Palmetto Bay again, it's a great area for families, similar to Pinecrest, only cheaper. To get there, take US-1 south to SW 152 and drive east.

If you're looking for good schools and reasonably priced housing, Palmetto Bay is where it's at. We even have a skateboard park, nearby.
    HAHA alright, but usualy nobody complains when we go off topic, like sungal.

Actually, Rihan, Sungal does not really go off-topic when she comments on threads. If you are referring to Sungal's thread about her life here, no one is complaining because that is a "social" thread where everyone is commenting on her posts about her life and while it is informative to learn about things she's doing in MIAMI, it was not a thread that posed a specific question. I hope you can understand the difference. I welcome you to start your own similar thread about your thoughts but please try to keep the forum focused on Miami.

;df

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast