Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Hi nefrocatracho, welcome and thank you very much for sharing what you've already learned. Please keep us posted on anything else you might learn from a parent's perspective and let us know if you need any more info!

New User

Hi "nefrocatracho"

thanks for your research as well!

I did see that Aventura , Sunny Isles & even Key Biscayne have great schools, but I
    don't want my husband to have that much of a commute to Doral.
    As I mentioned in a previous post, We are thinking Coral Gables could work for us...
    I'll know on thurs. when I get there!!

Anyone have any "last minute" areas for me to look at given the situation?

Thanks everyone for all the great tips!

gr82beam

Quote Originally Posted by rysy
    Hi "nefrocatracho"

I did see that Aventura , Sunny Isles & even Key Biscayne have great schools, but I
    As I mentioned in a previous post, We are thinking Coral Gables could work for us...

Coral seems very expensive for what it really offers : glamour...

Quote Originally Posted by gr82beam
    Hi "nefrocatracho"

What about the Grove? Isn't it slightly less $$?

Quote Originally Posted by gr82beam
    Hi "nefrocatracho"

Maybe so, but when it comes to giving your kids a safe and quality learning environment, this is the price you sometimes have to pay. Oh, the hidden costs of children!

gr82beam

Grove,on paper & probably in reality,is considerably less expensive than Coral...

On Google map,my favourite area would be the block above the Marina. Any ideas from people who know the district ?

I agree with you gr8 - the area near the marina is beautiful

I'm not an expert on real estate prices but have you actually been to the Grove, gr82beam? The waterfront area is studded with luxury hi-rises, homes and swanky office buildings, not to mention luxury hotels like the Ritz. It is NOT a cheap place to live. In fact, some of the homes in the Grove are practically palatial. Some areas border Coral Gables and often the two neighborhoods get confused.

Save for a few "humble" apartment buildings (I use the term relatively here) and one area that is a little ghetto (but quickly becoming gentrified), the Grove is actually a very well-to-do neighborhood, with gorgeous, tree-lined streets.

Rysy, I think Coral Gables will offer you more variety in terms of public/private schools, though there are numerous private schools deep in the heart of Coconut Grove. Keep in mind Coral Gables is a HUGE sprawling area. You'll be closer to your husband's job if you live in the Miracle Mile area, as opposed to the section of Coral Gables that goes way down South and borders Pinecrest/Coconut Grove/South Miami.

gr82beam

Ehm,never been to...USA,I tell whatever I understand from internet sources ...

Recently saw a Martin/Lewis bio movie,Coral was chic even since the 50s...

Maria, you're calling West Grove a "little" ghetto? No, Little Havana is a Little Ghetto. Anywhere you have crackehads selling drugs out on the streets is a LOT ghetto. And it seems the gentrification efforts have slowed considerably lately (no shock). I'm still leery of going West of the CVS on Grand.

Nefro, you're right about Aventura, try living east of I-95.
    Michael Krop High is pretty good, other schools that are considered good include:
    Sunset high, Coral Gables high, Coral Reef (magnet school), Mast Academy (also magnet), Palmetto high, Miami Beach high, and Miami Springs high.

Design & Architecture, New World School of arts and Turner high all have specialized magnet programs.

There are several schools in parts of Kendall and the county that are OK, such as Varela high, Braddock high, Southwest high, South Miami high, Coral Park high, Goleman. When I say OK, it means that the school isn't known for being rough.

Doral has Ronald Reagan high, which opened doors rather recently. Doral was declared one of the best places to live by Forbes magazine recently, so the high school might be good. All these schools I mentioned are public. I don't know about prvate schools.

Yes, Matt, I am calling it a "little" ghetto because it is a "little" area within the WAY BIGGER Coconut Grove city limits. Little Bahama, as it's also known is just a few square miles and bordering it are luxury homes. Some gentrification is taking place on the northern and southern borders of the ghetto too.

Back in the day (before your time in Miami) the ghetto was way worse. People wouldn't even drive down Grand Avenue, which today is a major thoroughfare with lots of traffic.

I went to look at a rental house in the grove and there were chickens and roosters walking around the street... I didn't even get out of the car!

Rebecca, that depends on what part of the Grove you're in. But to say that the Grove is less expensive than Coral Gables is misleading, because the main areas of the Grove are actually quite pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles
    Rebecca, that depends on what part of the Grove you're in. But to say that the Grove is less expensive than Coral Gables is misleading, because the main areas of the Grove are actually quite pricey.
    I understand that it depends on the part of the grove, I just was under the presumption that the grove had some decent neighborhoods in btw the pricey and ghetto that were slightly less expensive than the comparable Gables nieghborhoods. This is just what I remember from being in the real estate industry- but it has been almost 2 years since I left that business.

Not sure I caught if you were looking for a home or condo. I'm satisfied with the condo on Brickell Key. It's near everything and you get a sense of isolation once you cross the bridge. There is a large green area and playground for children behind the Mandarin Oriental as well as another one in front of the yet occupied condo called Asia. It's very safe and security patrols the island frequently on golf carts.

gr82beam

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Lucente
    I went to look at a rental house in the grove and there were chickens and roosters walking around the street... I didn't even get out of the car!
    Are not roosters prohibited ?

Is there no HOA regulation about chicken ?

On realty websites,Grove is less expensive than Gables...

Ah, so "little" was a geographic description, not a gauge of how ghetto West Grove is. I get it now.

I don't know if roosters are officially prohibited or not, but some neighborhoods do have them and they're annoying as hell. I don't encourage having roosters in metropolitan Miami. In the Redlands, yes.

Many Coconut Grove residents consider peacocks a nuisance bird, even though they are so beautiful. However, that doesn't make it any better/worse place to live with kids.

In CFL, I contend with many creatures as the community is registered with Audubon. Our speed limit is 25 mph to avoid any road kill. I love it how the Sand Hill Cranes stand nonchalant in the middle of our roads. They are tough to budge and seem not afraid of anything other than wild turkeys. Peacocks are lovely to look and I wouldn't mind them around, but they sure have a loud shrill. We're three miles from Disney's Nature preserve, so there is plenty of avarian traffic to and fro.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast