Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Facebook can get lame with all those stupid applications but it's really a good way of keeping track of all your friends.

I have several different networking groups from various jobs and social circles and it's cool to be able to keep up with them by just checking my FB page.

And if I want to contact them, I don't have to go crazy searching for their card or email or phone number. It's all right there.

Quote Originally Posted by coach
    Post a picture!
    i will i just can't find one of just me in it.... im searching.
    and im not taking one of me right now... just woke up, laying in bed, lookin like a disaster. :grrr:

Courters-

I noticed you mentioned that you had never talked to strangers online before. I had been on a few forums before this one, and this is the only one I've actually met the people on and become friends with. A lot of it, I believe, has to do with the fact that this is a local forum - most everyone who graces these pages will, at some point, end up visiting or living here. Also, Gus and Michelle plan a lot of great events for us all to meet each other.

I agree with Gus on moving in November, but make sure to start looking for an apt before that, so that you have more options. Pictures can be deceiving, which I learned when I rented a condo here sight unseen. It looked a lot bigger in the photos~! If you can afford it, I would come for a looking trip sometime in the summer to get a feel for the neighborhoods that you might like. Brickell and the design district are also two great areas to live if you have a car, right on the other side of the causeway. Overdevelopment, especially in Brickell from the condo boom means there are tons of empty, new condos and lofts at severely reduced prices.

I would stay away from 8th st, which is where I lived. It was a good neighborhood, but the street is the first righthand turn you can take off the MacArthur causeway to get to the beach, and the traffic and revelers kept me up many a night- drunken frat boys singing "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" at four am in rounds when you have to work the next day is not that fun ;)

Rebecca thank you for your reply. It does seem that everyone on here is really cool and friendly. I did read about some meet ups that takes place and that is really awesome. I'm going to be looking for a roommate on craigslist- definitely can't afford to be on my own. I also wont be coming down before I move, but will prob stay in a hotel for a week and hopefully find something within that time. I wont have a car so I will be looking to live in south beach and I read on here that between 5th and 6th around Euclid, Meridian, Michigan aren't the best places to live.?

Also if anyone could give me some ideas... when I do move to sobe ( end of nov hopefully) my mom will be coming with me for about 5 days to help me look for a place to live and to just keep me company cuz she's awesome :) what is a good place for us to stay. We will probably rent a car so we can travel around and do shopping to get me set up a little easier. Is there cheap hotels that are safe? I was also reading on some hostels. South beach hostel and I think one was called the Clay Hotel? I'm more concerned on being on a budget but also don't want a scary dump. Also the closer to south beach the better since that is where I want to end up moving...

any tips wouldd be great. thanks!!

Well the thing is about hostels is you might be sharing a room with others. I have had two sets of friends recently visit, one at Harrisons and one South Beach hostel. It was 4 in a room and bunk beds, which may not work for you both.

This website has a hotel section, so why don't you put in your dates and budget and see what it comes up with. There are a few little Art Deco hotels with twin beds in the room that you and your mom can easily share a room in and it probably won't be that much.

As for that area round 6th and 7th... I walk round there all the time to do my food shopping and I have never felt unsafe or anything.

thanks jess i'll take a look at the hotel section. i've only been in the relocating part :)

Quote Originally Posted by courters
    Rebecca thank you for your reply. It does seem that everyone on here is really cool and friendly. I did read about some meet ups that takes place and that is really awesome. I'm going to be looking for a roommate on craigslist- definitely can't afford to be on my own. I also wont be coming down before I move, but will prob stay in a hotel for a week and hopefully find something within that time. I wont have a car so I will be looking to live in south beach and I read on here that between 5th and 6th around Euclid, Meridian, Michigan aren't the best places to live.?

Also if anyone could give me some ideas... when I do move to sobe ( end of nov hopefully) my mom will be coming with me for about 5 days to help me look for a place to live and to just keep me company cuz she's awesome :) what is a good place for us to stay. We will probably rent a car so we can travel around and do shopping to get me set up a little easier. Is there cheap hotels that are safe? I was also reading on some hostels. South beach hostel and I think one was called the Clay Hotel? I'm more concerned on being on a budget but also don't want a scary dump. Also the closer to south beach the better since that is where I want to end up moving...

Anytime - I don't know if you prefer a larger building, but in terms of safety they can't be beat. Along Alton you will find many buildings that have reasonably priced rentals - many of the condos have been redone inside, so you never know what you may find.. In other words, don't judge a building by the outside or how new it appears. There is a courtyard marriott around 15th right near the beach, and also a best western. Both are safe, clean, and reasonable. That's awesome that your mom is going to come down with you- what a sweetheart!

Ok so I'm trying to figure out my budget and how much I can save before the move. I'm thinking Nov/Dec because it is beginning of season, but would it be awful to wait until maybe Feb/March? Will it be more difficult to find a job as well as a place to live? Do rent prices tend to be higher when it is the middle of season?

I hat to be the bearer of bad news, but Yes, Yes, and Yes

thanks. i figured as much. that just means i need to work more and save more to get to SoBe sooner :-)
    the end of the year is gonna sneak up on me i can tell

New User

I'm a 25 year old female, moved from California to SoBe 3 days ago! Trying to adjust and get settled in here, which is quite difficult without a car. Other than that, loving it for the most part. Good luck!

Daisy, welcome to Miami!

Courters, having been in the USVI, if you can live there then you can live anywhere I think! Which island did you live on? Did you work in a salon or did you do wedding hair? If so, then having a portfolio will probably help alot if you are trying to break into the hair business down here.

To answer your question, you can probably still find a job in the middle of season, as there are so many transient people and they move from restaurant to restaurant. As for rents, they may or may not be more expensive, it just kind of depends. But be prepared to put three months down as a deposit.

Also, I found some of my roommates on roommates.com because all the people on craigslist were freaky or spammy. Just a suggestion!

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Lucente

Anytime - I don't know if you prefer a larger building, but in terms of safety they can't be beat. Along Alton you will find many buildings that have reasonably priced rentals - many of the condos have been redone inside, so you never know what you may find.. In other words, don't judge a building by the outside or how new it appears. There is a courtyard marriott around 15th right near the beach, and also a best western. Both are safe, clean, and reasonable. That's awesome that your mom is going to come down with you- what a sweetheart!
    thats what i'm kinda looking for a larger building so i don't feel all alone :o) im so used to living in a hi rise but seems like they are a lot more expensive..

Quote Originally Posted by Christina
    Daisy, welcome to Miami!

Courters, having been in the USVI, if you can live there then you can live anywhere I think! Which island did you live on? Did you work in a salon or did you do wedding hair? If so, then having a portfolio will probably help alot if you are trying to break into the hair business down here.

To answer your question, you can probably still find a job in the middle of season, as there are so many transient people and they move from restaurant to restaurant. As for rents, they may or may not be more expensive, it just kind of depends. But be prepared to put three months down as a deposit.

Also, I found some of my roommates on roommates.com because all the people on craigslist were freaky or spammy. Just a suggestion!

I lived on St Thomas and I have to agree with you- If I survived there I think I would be good to go anywhere else :) I worked in a salon that was part of a resort. I did a lot of wedding hair and make up, but also a lot of the people that lived on island came to our salon.

Thanks for the tip on roommates.com , as the time comes closer I think I will post on there. I'm gonna shoot for the end of November. I don't think I can wait any longer...

Hi Daisy! Have fun in SoBe! Wish I was there already... what part of Cali did you move from?

Jasmin- are you in SoBe already?

I lived on St Thomas and I have to agree with you- If I survived there I think I would be good to go anywhere else :) I worked in a salon that was part of a resort. I did a lot of wedding hair and make up, but also a lot of the people that lived on island came to our salon.
    we drive alot faster here... lol. I was in St. Thomas for my friend's wedding, and the girl that did our hair was saying that was something that was difficult to readjust to when she went back to visit family in the states. The USVI are amazingly beautiful but there's no way I could live there between the island way of life and the roads.

Preferred Member

no I am still in chicago i will move in october, no later than november!

Quote Originally Posted by Christina

we drive alot faster here... lol. I was in St. Thomas for my friend's wedding, and the girl that did our hair was saying that was something that was difficult to readjust to when she went back to visit family in the states. The USVI are amazingly beautiful but there's no way I could live there between the island way of life and the roads.
    ya it's pretty different. people will stop in the middle of the road to talk to someone, you can be drinking a beer as you are driving, millions of pot holes, people honk to say Go! Thank you! and Eff you! :) i do miss it though :)
    it was good times :)

were you in stt recently?

Quote Originally Posted by jasmin
    no I am still in chicago i will move in october, no later than november!
    awesome we'll be Sobe newbies at around the same time :)

Preferred Member

great well i am saving my $$so i can buy a car and make deposits... i can't wait to leave

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast