Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New User

Default Need Advice about Finding a Rental near FIU University Park Campus

I'm moving to Miami in July! I'll be working at FIU mostly at the main campus and need to find a place to rent preferably within walking distance. I've looked at the Sweetwater, Westchester, and Olympia Heights areas online. Are any of these areas very safe? Is there a better place to live close to campus that I haven't listed?

I'm looking for a 1 bedroom apartment under $1000 in a safe neighborhood. I would prefer to not live in an apartment complex that is managed by a property management company. Is there an easier way to find apartments that are owner managed other than monitoring craigslist? Any advice would be helpful.

Hi there, and welcome!

I know there are some rental communities within walking distance of the university, but I don't know their names. I was in that area a couple of weeks ago, and I saw a number of places; I'm specifically thinking of a gated community on SW 16 St., just next to the shopping center with Publix... hold on, I'll look that up.

The area just east and south of the university is safe, that you could walk and all that. North, however, I would say "no", as Sweetwater can be sketchy. Plus, the way the campus is configured, living north or west, you're looking at a long walk.

I know that there are signs up all over the university announcing available housing - do you have anyone who might be able to look at some of those and send you the info on them?

Ok, the apartments I was referring to are on SW 16 Street and 104 Ave. I drove by, and they had signs indicating there were units available.

However, south of SW 16 St and down to Coral Way, there are a number of housing communities popular with university people. This is mainly a single family home area, though, so would you be open to renting a house?

Otherwise, you may have to consider a place a bit further out and drive.

New User

Thanks for checking Tere. You confirmed what I was thinking about Sweetwater and I would definitely consider renting a house. Thanks for the tip about announcements all over campus. I'm currently living in Kansas and do not know anyone in Miami yet. I'm seriously considering a trip to Miami in June so I can check out some places to rent. Miami is really big and it is overwhelming at this point trying to figure out where to live.

That is an excellent idea! If you can take a trip out just to look for housing, I think you'll feel less stressed about the whole thing, and you'll be able to find the right place.

When you've never lived somewhere before, it's hard to find the right place long-distance. Try to make it out if you can!

If I lived near the university I'd offer to get some of these ads for you, but I'm a good half hour east of there and rarely make my way there.

What department will you be working in? Is there anyone there who might be able to help?

If you're from Kansas, you're going to find Sweetwater, uh, interesting? Or Westchester or any of those areas around FIU. Spanish Suburbia, is about the way I would describe it, but a lot more run-down that the "new" sauburbia you'd find up in Broward.

It's a relatively safe area, the way Tere described, but you are in for MAJOR culture shock. Start practicing by grocery shopping only in Spanish from now until you come down here.

Hi mcradnor! Welcome!

My sister used to live in a gated apartment community near the Fountainbleau area just off the expressway. It was safe and affordable and perfect for her since she worked at the airport. Campus is not that far from it either. Living near the expressway is a good idea if you want to be able to go to the beach on weekends or travel further afield.

That being said, a reconnoitering trip is the BEST thing you can do. Rent a car, and get your own feel for the areas around campus, if you are set on commuting less (always a good idea).

Matt is right, too -- if you want to live around that part of Miami, be prepared for some culture shock.

New User

I'll be moving from Colorado and attending FIU beginning this August. I interviewed there last December and I can vouch for the culture shock aspect. I'll be in the dorms for the first couple semesters of my grad program.

Wow. That oughta be interesting. I've never spent much time in the FIU dorms, but I think an outsiders perspective would be unique. PLEASE keep us posted on how this goes.

If we can devote a 36-page thread to a girl moving to South Beach, an American living in the dorms at FIU certainly rates something.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer
    Wow. That oughta be interesting. I've never spent much time in the FIU dorms, but I think an outsiders perspective would be unique. PLEASE keep us posted on how this goes.

If we can devote a 36-page thread to a girl moving to South Beach, an American living in the dorms at FIU certainly rates something.
    Haha. Will do Matt. I'm hoping for an uneventful time in the dorms. (fingers crossed). The one good thing is traffic won't be a real concern except for 1-2days per week when I have to commute to the beach area for clinical days.

Hi CRNA2B! Welcome to the forums! I totally agree with Matt -- we'd love to hear about your experiences. I don't know much grad student dorm room life at FIU either.

I think staying in a dorm room for at least one semester is not a bad idea if you've never lived in Miami before. It would help people "break in" the city.

I can tell you I stayed in a grad student dorm at UM when I was getting my master's. It was actually alright. I was on a separate wing of the same building for undergrads , but it was separate enough for it to be quiet. Not having to drive to class or to teach was SUCH a plus.

Keep us posted!

Mcradnor, I used to live like 3 seconds away from FIU in a rental community called Sundance Village. I actually LOVED our apartment. It was big... and not too expensive!

Check them out. They are on 7th st which is the West side of Fontainebleau Blvd and about 2 blocks from 109th st. (which is also a direct entrance to FIU)

CRNA2B, FIU is a really good school. The only downside is that it's primarily a transient school so the college life isn't all that exciting. Then again, grad school isn't so much about drinking beer, getting wasted, and passing out during your first class the next day so you probably won't mind the quieter campus!

I have been at FIU since 04... going on a 6 year bachelor's is how it looks @ this point. lol. Good luck and like everyone else said.. let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Kristine

CRNA2B, FIU is a really good school. The only downside is that it's primarily a transient school so the college life isn't all that exciting. Then again, grad school isn't so much about drinking beer, getting wasted, and passing out during your first class the next day so you probably won't mind the quieter campus!
    What are you talking about, Kristine? I've been in grad school for 2 years, that pretty much sums up my experience. then again, UF IS the #1 party school (insert laughter here).

6-year Bachelors? Yeah, typical FIU.

New User

So just an update on the dorm situation. I got notice today that I will have 3 other roommates in a 4 bedroom single room dorm. Strangely enough...judging just by the names, none are hispanic. If I had to guess, I would say one is German, one Yugoslavian, and one Russian, and myself (Anglo-American). 3 of us guys and one female I think. Sounds like an interesting mix......<keeping fingers crossed> :)

Quote Originally Posted by CRNA2B
    So just an update on the dorm situation. I got notice today that I will have 3 other roommates in a 4 bedroom single room dorm. Strangely enough...judging just by the names, none are hispanic. If I had to guess, I would say one is German, one Yugoslavian, and one Russian, and myself (Anglo-American). 3 of us guys and one female I think. Sounds like an interesting mix......<keeping fingers crossed> :)
    CRNA, I did my undergrad at FIU, currently I'm doing a M.A.. I lived in the dorms for a year back in 2005. They didn't have coed rooms, but the halls are coed.
    Despite being a transient school, they are fraternities and sororities, and groups of students that tend to emulate the typical college lifestyle. You will find a mix of local Hispanic, wealthy South American and Caribbean students, out-of-state White students mostly from the Northeast and Midwest, and European athletes.

Which dorm are you assigned to? Everglades Hall is pretty good.

New User

HI,

I am coming to FIU to pursue IMBA for a year and since i have never been to the city, i really dont know about the right kind of place to live. I would be really grateful if sumone could help me out with finding a place for myself. For your consideration i am putting down a few points that may give you an idea of what i am exactly looking for.:

1. 1bedroom, fully furnished, with air conditioner, dryer, washer, balcony, living room, parking, internet cconnection, cabel etc.
    2. A very descent location in an area that has a lot of activity around it, such as restaurants, malls,not anything secluded.
    3. I am willing to pay anything between 1800 to 2400 per month.
    4. The property should be recently developed.

I know it may look like i have a lot of demands, but these things are imp to look out for before hand.

If anyone could help i would be highly grateful.

Regards,
    Rahul

If you're willing to shell out 18-2400 a month, you can get a 1 bedroom pretty much anywhere in Miami in almost any building? Are you going to have a car? If so, I'd recommend one of the newer highrises on Brickell or in South Beach. Really nice buildings and they fit all of your requirements.

New User

Hello guys:

I am an international student going to the Grad school of FIU (Business School to be precise). I'm currently living in Sweetwater, but since I don't own any car and the fact that I have to ride the bike therefore it really makes it hard to get down to FIU everyday. And also the fact that the neighborhood is totally Hispanic-- makes me mad! Almost no one speaks English & I have had couple of bad times as well.

Complaints apart, I am looking for a room to rent somewhere really really close to FIU (University Park Campus), within a walking distance. Again I don't own a car therefore it's very important to find a place that has a walking distance from FIU (UP Campus).

I know about the Vista Verde apartments, but I find them a bit expensive for a student like me. I am willing to spend $550 a room, for rent only. Can anyone suggest me a place that would be suitable for me? I have tried looking for the apartments online (Craiglist), but can't find one that suits my criteria.

Thanks!

Hi trenchantplayer, welcome to the forums!

I don't know of any sites other than craiglist for room rentals. But I'm wondering ... could there be a bulletin board or a an off-campus housing service at FIU? Maybe someone would post available rooms there. Or maybe try to get the word out with some campus people.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck!

Even out there, a 1BR is pretty hard to find at that rate. You may have to look for a roommate. And Facebook, expecially if you are on the Miami (city) and FIU networks should be able to help you out.

But if you are frustrated by an all-Hispanic neighborhood, I totally empathize and agree with you, but you are SCREWED. There's really only a couple of parts of Miami that aren't like that, and neither are near FIU. Part of the price you pay for living in Miami.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast