Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Thread: Moving Quotes

Default Moving Quotes

Hello MB411ers,

My moving date is still a few months away, but I'd like to know if any of you, or someone you know has relocated to Miami from Massachussets. I want to know this so I can budget how much it'll cost me to move my one-bedroom appartment, and if it's worthy to bring eveything I have to Florida, or if it'll make more sense, money-wise, to get rid of it all before I come down there.

I'd appreciate if you can share any information. Also, do you know what moving company was used? How much did it charge? How long in advance did they book it?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Hi LaFemme!

From my experience reading threads by people in similar situations, I have heard of both alternatives being viable. Twiggers is selling some of her stuff but keeping much of it too, coming down in a truck, using a moving company only to schlep the furniture from the truck into her new apartment. But another member, a grad student at FIU, opted to sell everything and drive down with simply a car load of personal belongings, because she was on a really tight budget and wasn't going to spend much on re-furnishing a place if she was only going to live here for a couple of years.

I think it depends on your budget. If you are willing to re-furnish an apartment, how much could you spend? We do have an IKEA store down here, which is popular, and also Craigslist is a great place to get bargains on furniture. But ... would you really want the hassle of having to re-furnish a place?

Another member, Sungal, found a furnished apartment in South Beach, which she likes. But again, that really depends on you -- my sense is that if you are planning to get settled here for the long-term, you might want to consider not renting a furnished place.

Keep up with Twiggers' thread -- she is in the process of moving here and is providing excellent information on all the costs and logistics.

Like Maria said it depends on what you want to spend. I moved out here from Vegas and i sold all my furniture and got rid of a lot of my stuff. Came over with only what i could fit in my car and bought all new stuff once i got here but if you dont have the money to buy all new furniture and what not it might be cheaper just to rent a uhaul and bring your stuff with you.

I wish i would have rented one of their little trailers that i could hook up to my car so i could have brought more.

Thank you Maria and WPNS41,

My budget will be around 10k, but after putting down first, last, and deposit, that will be close to half. I'd do my best to find a job before I am gone, but the possibilities of findind it
    living there are much better. I've ben reading Twigger's thread, and it has been very helpful.

Regarding renting a U-Haul, that's what I am a little hesitant about. I am definetely bringing my car, and I do not want to drive to Florida twice. Thta's a two-day trip. Although I can consider renting one of those small trailers, and bringing everything I can fit in. My decision to move to Florida is for long-term, and I really like mu furniture, but I am not attached to it by no means. Can't wait to be there.

Dump it all. You'll need $5000. Bring a chair or something. That's about it.

Oh, wait, you're moving to South Beach, right?

Quote Originally Posted by coach
    Dump it all. You'll need $5000. Bring a chair or something. That's about it.

Oh, wait, you're moving to South Beach, right?
    Thanks for the response Coach.

I am not moving to SoBe. I'll be looking at Coral Gables and South Miami. Does that make a difference?

Hi LaFemme,

You can always negotiate your deposits. Sometimes you can pay first and just a security deposit. If you figure a 1 bedroom in the $1K range, you'll have more than half left, even if you pay the last month, too.

The trailer sounds like a good idea. You may be able to compromise, bring some essentials and then slowly buy stuff once you're here (like bargains on Craigslist). Also, you'll need a place to stay and park your trailer until you find that apartment, have you considered where? That might be really tricky, especially on the beach.

Where you live all depends on what kind of work and lifestyle you desire. A general rule of thumb is to avoid commuting long distances, though people do it. It's just that traffic can be nerve-wracking in Miami. Of course, you won't know this until you find a job and first you'll need to find a place!

I live on the border of Coral Gables/South Miami. It's an excellent neighborhood for a single woman. (I am assuming you are one, right?) If you need more info about this neck of the woods, let me know. I also used to live on the beach.

LaFemme,
    I also live on the border of Coral Gables and South Miami. When I moved to Coral Gables I had to put two months down on my apartment. On this apartment, it was my first month's rent and $500 for security. It really depends on where you rent, and how it's managed.

As for furniture, I moved down here from NC. I was lucky because my parents wanted to take a vacation, so they came down a week after me with their car full of some furniture. But basically I sold what furniture I had and bought new stuff when I came down here. It sucked sleeping on a wood floor with blankets and sleeping bag for a few days, but it was definitely easier than dragging that stuff down with me. I figured that the trailor would slow my drive time and make the journey even longer.

An inflatable mattress is pretty inexpensive and may well be worth the investment. Plus, you can then store it after you buy a real bed and use it for when friends come to visit. It folds up in a little duffel bag.

I got a moving quote from Allied Van Lines for a 2 bedroom apartment with dining room furniture from Chicago. It was about $4000. For a one bedroom and if you don't have dining room furniture, it could be half that, or less since you're coming from Mass. You can also pay them to box everything for you, which of course costs more but it wasn't a lot more. Anyway, they are a reputable mover and can give you a free quote, and there are others out there, maybe cheaper. So if you really love your furniture, you could see how much it's gonna cost and decide if it's worth it.

Preferred Member

As Maria said, I did Penske and drove down with everything. It was about 1/2 the cost of a moving company....and saving $2000 was important to us! In your case, you could rent a small Penske truck and tow your car (the car dollies cost a couple hundred dollars though).

The cheapest way is to drive a U-Haul down, put your car on a trailer that attaches to the back of the U-Haul. Take what you can fit in the U-Haul, leave the rest behind.