Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New User

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Hi, b1amjj95, welcome to Miami Beach 411.

With the amount of apartments on the market, it's pretty easy to find a place to live, and even easier in Downtown and Midtown Miami. You can find most of the "Buy Owner" rentals on Craigslist. It's also a good idea to hook up with a realtor, or two and let them show you around.

You mentioned...

From what I've read, the bay side of SOBE is where we want to be.
    Yes, for high rise living, and it's even nicer South of 5th Street.

I am also a little concerned about the “scene” at the pool that was described by a poster.
    I wouldn't be too worried about that.

Do you plan to visit and look for a place?

I was leaning towards the bay side as to not be right in the middle of the tourists, but that is definitely more the motivation as opposed to aiming for a high rise. I think we would actually prefer a more intimate building, to be honest. Then again, the high rises seem to have the pools, and the square footage to accommodate our large furniture...

Ideally we will come down to look for a place, but we have not solidified that decision yet.
    Also, I was avoiding using a broker b/c I assumed that like here, you pay them a commission, which is often well over a month's rent (sometimes closer to 2), but someone else here mentioned that the landlord pays the fee, so maybe it's a good option to look into.

Thank you for your tips!

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Kristine
    Reading this entire thread just annoyed me a bit...

b1amjj95, I feel bad because you totally came in here for advice on where to move and this weirdo took over your thread to ask you about guns... From time to time that happens when odd people join. Ignore his remarks and you will find some great help on here!! For the most part, we are experienced and helpful when it comes to ppl. moving to "Mi"

Apparently Gr (his new nick name since he's from Greece) thinks Miami is Michigan with his abbreviated version of our city.

My suggestions for really cute/ amazing living options are: south of 5th between Lenox and Washington. Hidden down those little streets are these new amazing buildings. I don't know how much rent goes for but I would even love to move there!! It's the quieter, local side of South Beach that's for sure. :)

Good luck!!

Kristine,

Thanks for the suggestion:-) "little streets" and "local" sounds wonderful to me!

New User

Quote Originally Posted by sungal
    $1500 for a one bed in a high rise on West Ave, with parking and ammenities is not that high. Since you're 2 working professionals, I strongly suggest you stay on West Ave. You can have a beautiful view of the bay in the evening, as well as doorman, pool, fitness center, etc.

You'll also see many other professionals leave in the morning andreturn in the evening. I live in a lovely art deco close to the ocean, and I see tons of tourists who make me think I'm on vacation!

You can always walk or take a taxi to the beach on the weekends.

Go ahead an use the services of a realtor, since the landlord pays the broker fee. Keep in mind it's a renter's market, so you can negotiate on the rent.

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

While I agree that $1500 w/ amenities sounds good, as you mentioned it's a renter's market, and I am admittedly suspicious of large buildings in general. In my experience, you do get the amenities, but you lose a lot of the quality of low-rises, or vintage buildings. For example, we used to live in a highrise in Times Square, which was new and lovely, etc. but you could feel the wood floors coming away from the underfloor... Now, living in an apt of a townhouse, we don't get the same amenities, but we get a solid home, you know?
    So I'm going back and forth a little (and by "little" I mean "lot" ;-))
    Also, we are looking for a good "landing pad"to get us settled in to the city, and then will probably want to purchase maybe next year, so I'm not hell-bent on finding my dream place right now, more just something that is nice, not totally overpriced and yet gives us a good intro to SoBe.

Anyhoo...Thanks again!

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Burgandy
    So what is your budget? $1500/month is about average for highrises with parking and views. Stretch it up to $2200-$2500 and you can be in some really ultra nice places like Icon or Bentley Bay.

Hi,

I would like to keep our budget around $1500 for our first "landing pad" apt. and then look into something more permanent next year, at which point we'll be looking for our "dream" apartment.

Thanks for pointing me towards what sounds like something lovely!

Santana

Quote Originally Posted by gr82beam
    I guess that Michigan has MI,both block letters,as formal initial,

Mi is good informal for Miami,MIA is official code for Miami airport...

I feel more American than many of the America-bashing commentators in here...
    I didn't know that Miami was such a long name to have to abbreviate it...

I'm not sure if you have ever visited Miami or watched any shows that are about Miami, but you will notice that Miami is referred to as MIA or the 305. We are aware that MIA is the code to Miami International Airport, but it is also used to abbreviate Miami.

I don't understand why you are hating everyone that disagrees with your opinions. So if I disagree with you will I be on your "ban" list?

This is a public forum where people can write what they like. If someone wants to comment on your thread, they are going to comment. I don't think you are some awesome being that can decide who can write on your thread and who cannot. BESIDES this is a thread about someone relocating to MIA, not someone wanting to get a bad vibe from you.

Santana

b1amjj95, Welcome to the forums.

Sorry for that strange start on your thread. I know you will find everyone's information very helpful. :) Thanks for joining our forums.

gr82beam

Quote Originally Posted by Santana
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82beam
    I guess that Michigan has MI,both block letters,as formal initial,

Mi is good informal for Miami,MIA is official code for Miami airport...

I feel more American than many of the America-bashing commentators in here...
    I didn't know that Miami was such a long name to have to abbreviate it...

I'm not sure if you have ever visited Miami or watched any shows that are about Miami, but you will notice that Miami is referred to as MIA or the 305. We are aware that MIA is the code to Miami International Airport, but it is also used to abbreviate Miami.

I don't understand why you are hating everyone that disagrees with your opinions. So if I disagree with you will I be on your "ban" list?

This is a public forum where people can write what they like. If someone wants to comment on your thread, they are going to comment. I don't think you are some awesome being that can decide who can write on your thread and who cannot. BESIDES this is a thread about someone relocating to MIA, not someone wanting to get a bad vibe from you.

I play by the rules,some of u are unethical & insult me unprovokedly...

From the moment that someone posts the title ...Not your etc & swears about it,I have the right to question his honesty.There was no bad vibe,just a question...

But in just one question,I exposed his hypocricy.

He is a typical anti-gun NYCer who tried to deceive the readers with that title.

That's it. I comment no more on threads I don't like.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Santana
    b1amjj95, Welcome to the forums.

Sorry for that strange start on your thread. I know you will find everyone's information very helpful. :) Thanks for joining our forums.
    Thanks for the warm welcome :)

b1amjj95 welcome to the forums

I am going to stick to this topic and not hijack it. The Bay side of South Beach is definitely more for you I think. I had several friends live in smaller buildings on West Ave (there are a few, especially around the Flamingo) and they loved it. Had I chosen to stay on South Beach, I would have moved to that section. Additionally, you may want to check out parts of belle island, which is on the Venetian Causeway. It's much more of a young professional building, and the Venetian is considered the prettiest of all the causeways in Miami. You are also still in walking distance from Lincoln Road.

My counsin had a huge 1/1.5 in a high rise on the Venetian for $1300 which included all her utilities, parking and the gym. It was a really nice place, and well taken care of.

I hope this helps and once again, welcome to both Miami and these forums!

You seem to want the charm and quality of a low rise building, but beware of the lack of soundproofing. Everyone who lives in a low rise seems to complain about noise. My building is totally renovated, but I have noise issues when neighbors are around. (Most people on my floor only use their apartment one weekend per month.)

Highrises also offer a parking garage. But I like my little art deco apartment. It's close to the beach and Lincoln Rd, and I don't need a car since most things are within walking distance.

Have you considered Brickell? Lots of young professionals live there.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Christina
    b1amjj95 welcome to the forums

I am going to stick to this topic and not hijack it. The Bay side of South Beach is definitely more for you I think. I had several friends live in smaller buildings on West Ave (there are a few, especially around the Flamingo) and they loved it. Had I chosen to stay on South Beach, I would have moved to that section. Additionally, you may want to check out parts of belle island, which is on the Venetian Causeway. It's much more of a young professional building, and the Venetian is considered the prettiest of all the causeways in Miami. You are also still in walking distance from Lincoln Road.

My counsin had a huge 1/1.5 in a high rise on the Venetian for $1300 which included all her utilities, parking and the gym. It was a really nice place, and well taken care of.

I hope this helps and once again, welcome to both Miami and these forums!

Thank you. Christina, for the message and advice. I'll definitely check out your suggestions :)

New User

Quote Originally Posted by sungal
    You seem to want the charm and quality of a low rise building, but beware of the lack of soundproofing. Everyone who lives in a low rise seems to complain about noise. My building is totally renovated, but I have noise issues when neighbors are around. (Most people on my floor only use their apartment one weekend per month.)

Highrises also offer a parking garage. But I like my little art deco apartment. It's close to the beach and Lincoln Rd, and I don't need a car since most things are within walking distance.

Have you considered Brickell? Lots of young professionals live there.
    Sungal,

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't really considered that noise would be worse in a small building. That having been said, I can hear my upstairs neighbour playing with her dog as I type (townhouse)...

Now that you mention the parking, we assumed that we would need to purchase a car immediately upon arriving in Miami, but a couple of people here have mentioned walking, which is great, and takes the pressure off to need a car right.this.minute.
    Anyway, thanks again for your reply.

Preferred Member

hello, from what i understand you do not necessarily need a car in SOBE but if you want to leave the island and see or explore on the mainland a car is necessary! I believe just in SOBE you can get around on a 25 cent bus or by cab!

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

If you ask me, a bicycle is the best mode of transportation in South Beach. The only downside is, bicycle theft... that's why old, cheap bikes work best.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    If you ask me, a bicycle is the best mode of transportation in South Beach. The only downside is, bicycle theft... that's why old, cheap bikes work best.
    Bikes and the bus are fine for getting round the beach.

That's true, if you plan on living and working in South Beach, then you can get a bike, walk or get a scooter.

I used my bike as my main transportation on the beach and kept it inside my house while I wasn't using it.

If you aren't working on the beach,then yes, you will need a car as well, and parking on the beach can be a total nightmare

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12