Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New User

Default Not your typical NYCers, I swear

Hi all,

My partner and I are relocating to Miami within the next 2 months from NYC. As most know, apt. hunting in NYC is hard-core, but I don't know much about the process in Miami, which renders my NYC skills useless in a way... For example, I saw some other posts about the Flamingo, and while I was suspicious about the $1500 1br seeming a little high when I came upon the listing on a rental website, that is half what we pay here, so it seems good. Though it's a hell of a lot cheaper, I still don't want to get screwed, the way newbies often do. I am also a little concerned about the "scene" at the pool that was described by a poster. We are a little more...laid back than that scene, ie: more outdoor terrace, wine all afternoon kind of people as opposed to free margaritas and waxy beach-bodies (although we have been known to partake...)

From what I've read, the bay side of SOBE is where we want to be, but any and all advice, e-hugs ;-), etc. would be helpful.

We are definitely not people that are looking to recreate NYC wherever we go; we just want to maximize our experience with what will be our new city. We are really well-traveled and can make ourselves at home almost anywhere.

Sorry for the rambling, I just need a little help!

Thanks in advance.

p.s. we are 31 and 35 and some might say "professionals" :-)

gr82beam

NYC is notorious for its gun prohibition...

Do u plan to get a CC permit upon arriving in Mi ?

New User

pardon me?

gr82beam

I' d like to know how " non typical NYCers " feel about carrying guns...

Check out http://www.southbeachcondo.com/ they have a pretty good map showing where all the major condo buildings are. I would also check out the condos on Alton rd south of 5th street like the ICON, Murano Grande and so on. Dont know what they cost but they look really nice and are more laid back. Plus you are right next to Montys

New User

Quote Originally Posted by gr82beam
    I' d like to know how " non typical NYCers " feel about carrying guns...

I can't imagine why you're asking me that question. I was just putting a friendly request out there for advice. A lot of the time, the first thing people say when you tell them you want to relocate from NY is, well, a bunch of stereotypical stuff about how the new city isn't NYC, and one shouldn't try to pretend it is, or recreate it. So I was putting that out there. That's it.

I got a friendly vibe when browsing through this forum before I posted my question, and thought that I would receive the same helpful suggestions that I have seen in other threads.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by wpns4l
    Check out http://www.southbeachcondo.com/ they have a pretty good map showing where all the major condo buildings are. I would also check out the condos on Alton rd south of 5th street like the ICON, Murano Grande and so on. Dont know what they cost but they look really nice and are more laid back. Plus you are right next to Montys

Thank you for the suggestion; I'll check it out.

Hi, b1amjj95, welcome to the forums. I don't know anything about the high rises on the Bay, per se, as I prefer the older Deco buildings between Alton and Washington, but you may still find some useful information in this article I wrote a couple of years back about how I moved to South Beach. Good luck with your move!

gr82beam

Typical NYCer,responding with anger to an innocent question...

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, b1amjj95, welcome to Miami Beach 411.

With the amount of apartments on the market, it's pretty easy to find a place to live, and even easier in Downtown and Midtown Miami. You can find most of the "Buy Owner" rentals on Craigslist. It's also a good idea to hook up with a realtor, or two and let them show you around.

You mentioned...

From what I've read, the bay side of SOBE is where we want to be.
    Yes, for high rise living, and it's even nicer South of 5th Street.

I am also a little concerned about the “scene” at the pool that was described by a poster.
    I wouldn't be too worried about that.

Do you plan to visit and look for a place?

Gus

I disagree. Your "gun" joke was not an innocent question. It was sensationalistic and baiting, to say the least. And it is no way to welcome someone to this site. I'm all for kidding around and having a debate, but please be considerate of other people's feelings.

I also think it's wrong for you to try and perpetuate the myth of Miami being more dangerous that other big cities.

I feel safer in Miami, compared to any city I've lived.

Have you visited Miami before?

Did you move here yet, or are you still writing from Greece?

gr82beam

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    I disagree. Your "gun" joke was not an innocent question. It was sensationalistic and baiting, to say the least. And it is no way to welcome someone to this site. I'm all for kidding around and having a debate, but please be considerate of other people's feelings.

I also think it's wrong for you to try and perpetuate the myth of Miami being more dangerous that other big cities.

I feel safer in Miami, compared to any city I've lived.

Have you visited Miami before?

Did you move here yet, or are you still writing from Greece?

Finally,I get to talk to the admin,even indirectly,because I received no reply to my requests about the ignore function...

From the moment I started posting political threads,
    thre are 2-3 usernames who systematically insult me & molest my topics.

What is the point of posting in a forum if I cannot block the trolls ?

As for the NYC,there was no joke,I posted a legitimate question which proved helpful to expose ...a typical NYC hypocricy,NYCers posing as "non typical"...

Not only I do not defame Mi but on the contrary I ...advertize the pro -gun & self defence laws that exist there,which are absent in the crime capitals of USA,NY & Chicago.

It is obvious that I write from GR,that's why my posts are more interesting to foreigners & tourists,helping them to appreciate Mi,much more than many Miers do,judging from their comments here.

Those who don't like Mi should beat it from this forum & from Mi &

those who don't like USA should go to Europe...

That's my opinion...

Gus

Finally,I get to talk to the admin,even indirectly,because I received no reply to my requests about the ignore function…

From the moment I started posting political threads,
    thre are 2-3 usernames who systematically insult me & molest my topics.

What is the point of posting in a forum if I cannot block the trolls ?
    Yes, I received your email yesterday about the "ignore" feature not working. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Sorry for not replying sooner. I am working on fixing it.

Not only I do not defame Mi but on the contrary I ...advertize the pro -gun & self defence laws that exist there,which are absent in the crime capitals of USA,NY & Chicago.
    I didn't realize that's how you felt. To me, you initial remark sounded like you were saying, "so, you're moving to Miami, you better buy a gun because it's a dangerous place."

I apologize if I was wrong about where you were coming from.

However, people who don't like Mi (Miami) are welcome to hang out at Miami Beach 411.

(BTW, Mi is the abbreviation for Michigan. MIA is a more appropriate abbreviation of Miami.)

Reading this entire thread just annoyed me a bit...

b1amjj95, I feel bad because you totally came in here for advice on where to move and this weirdo took over your thread to ask you about guns... From time to time that happens when odd people join. Ignore his remarks and you will find some great help on here!! For the most part, we are experienced and helpful when it comes to ppl. moving to "Mi"

Apparently Gr (his new nick name since he's from Greece) thinks Miami is Michigan with his abbreviated version of our city.

My suggestions for really cute/ amazing living options are: south of 5th between Lenox and Washington. Hidden down those little streets are these new amazing buildings. I don't know how much rent goes for but I would even love to move there!! It's the quieter, local side of South Beach that's for sure. :)

Good luck!!

$1500 for a one bed in a high rise on West Ave, with parking and ammenities is not that high. Since you're 2 working professionals, I strongly suggest you stay on West Ave. You can have a beautiful view of the bay in the evening, as well as doorman, pool, fitness center, etc.

You'll also see many other professionals leave in the morning andreturn in the evening. I live in a lovely art deco close to the ocean, and I see tons of tourists who make me think I'm on vacation!

You can always walk or take a taxi to the beach on the weekends.

Go ahead an use the services of a realtor, since the landlord pays the broker fee. Keep in mind it's a renter's market, so you can negotiate on the rent.

Preferred Member

West Ave and south of 5th are the nicest neighborhoods in sobe IMO... I live on West and love it. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Flamingo though

So what is your budget? $1500/month is about average for highrises with parking and views. Stretch it up to $2200-$2500 and you can be in some really ultra nice places like Icon or Bentley Bay.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    Hi, b1amjj95, welcome to the forums. I don't know anything about the high rises on the Bay, per se, as I prefer the older Deco buildings between Alton and Washington, but you may still find some useful information in this article I wrote a couple of years back about how I moved to South Beach. Good luck with your move!

Doug,

Thank you for directing me to your article. You had me at, well, the intro. Your tips and links are most useful. Plus, I have spent some time in NOLA (both before and after Katrina), and my partner did her Master's at Tulane, so knowing that you enjoy it there (like we do), puts a nice spin on where you're coming from.

Thanks again:-)

gr82beam

" Kristine "

did I mention u ever ?

I guess that Michigan has MI,both block letters,as formal initial,

Mi is good informal for Miami,MIA is official code for Miami airport...

I feel more American than many of the America-bashing commentators in here...

Preferred Member

Ban!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast