Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Are houses cheaper than apartments now?

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum! we are living in California and considering a move to Miami for work reasons. I've just started searching for rentals and was wondering how come houses (small houses or townhouses of 3 bedrooms) are slightly cheaper than apartments??? Is it for security reasons? for the hurricanes? I?m puzzled...don't understand. :-)

We are a family of 4 (two toddlers 2 and 3 y/o) any recommendations on family oriented neighborhoods??)

Thanks!

It might be because of the location. A house that is located in the far west suburbs might be cheaper than a high-rise condo on the beach or the eastern corridor of the city.

Preferred Member

Houses are more expensive if they are in the same location and quality. Few blocks in either direction can change the value and the asking rent.

It may also be because the houses are in ad neighborhoods. You don't typically see ads for Section 8 housing, you know? But I have seen some houses in less-than-desirable areas advertised heavily.

Also, if the houses you're seeing are being advertised on craigslist, chances are they're not bonafide rentals. Scammers have inundated the rental section with fake listings. If you contact them, they tell you they're out of the country doing missionary work, and that you should mail them the deposit and they'll send you a key. They typically steal the ads from other sources. The giveaway is the unbelievably cheap rent.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, babycupcake, welcome to Miami Beach 411. Thanks for introducing yourself. I'm also from California.

As others mentioned, it all depends on the location.

Where are these houses you're finding?

Two years ago, my wife and I rented a cheap house in Little Haiti. I believe we were paying $1,100 for a two bedroom on a quiet street, with a nice backyard.

Oh man, I remember that house. A far cry from the posh South Beach digs the site runs out of now. But I remember that house being really nice with a big back yard and whatnot. So I guess good deals ARE out there.