Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Where are the best places to live for students from Ireland?

Hi I'm flying into miami on Sunday from Ireland, with friends from college we are all on a J1 visa and will be looking for jobs and accommodation straight away. We will be applying for our social security number the 1st chance we can as i hear they can take upto 6 wks to get. But what I am really want to know, where are the best places to live on miami beach or south beach for students. We can cram into a 2 bed apartment or a spacious 1 bed if need be. There will be 5 of us living there for 3 months.

Also we want to get to see as much as we can over the next 3 months. What can people recommend??

Thanks in advance.

Eric

As far as affordability? South Beach is not particularly student-friendly as prices are higher than most areas of the city. If you are DEAD SET on South Beach, I would look in the area between 5th and 8th street, between Pennsylvania and West Ave. There are some mildly affordable places in there.

If you go north of 25th Street, rents drop dramatically. I am not horribly familiar with the prices up there, but Maria knows a lot about Mid-Beach. It'll be a trip to et down to SoBe if you're up there, but there is a bus that goes.

New User

where would people recommend for us to stay in miami. We want to be close to a beach and be able to find jobs in that area.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, Eric. I agree with Matt... South Beach is where you want to live, especially if you want to be close to the beach. You can find 1 bedroom in the area for under $1,000 a month.

While you're looking for a place, you may want to stay in one of the hostels. You can rent a shared room for all of your friends starting at $13.95 per person.

Last weekend, Doug stayed at the South Beach hostel and wrote about his experience here.

What kind of jobs are you looking for?

Where in Ireland are you from?

New User

Hi Gus thanks for that hostel link. I'm from Kilkenny, south east Ireland. As jobs go we are willing to work at jst about anything, have been looking on craigslist there does seem to be jobs in the area. I have loads of bar work experience. From a quite local pub serving lunches to a busy high tempo sports bar. Is there anything you can recommend me to do to improve my chances in the job department.

The best thing you can do is show up in person at these places and turn on the charm! Most bars hire on the spot so go in and be friendly.

Also, if you see something where there is an open call for hiring, or interviews, like "Come to Club X from 11AM-5PM on Wednesday," get there super early. Miamians are not known for our punctuality or early-rising, so the earlier you get somewhere the better your chances.

New User

hey jess & matt,

Really appriciate all the tips and help will do my best. hopefully it will all work out. It has the making of an epic summer.