Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default I just found out I have to move to Miami -- Help!!

Hi everyone, I literally just found out that I have to move to Miami by the end of June because of my job. I've never been to Miami so I have no idea what areas to look at. I will be working in Coral Gables, I'll probably drive depending on what public transportation in Miami is like. Either way, I do not want a crazy commute.

I'm a single female and safety is obviously a concern. I'd like to be able to walk about the neighborhood to get the feel of Miami if I can. I don't have to live on the beach or right in the middle of all the action/shopping but I don't want to be too far.

I don't know anyone in Miami so I'd like to be in a welcoming area where I can go out and meet people. I'd like a place with parking and I don't want to pay more than $1000, anything around $800 would be ideal actually, if that is remotely feasible.

I'd really love any suggestions that anyone has. Thanks so much in advance!

Hi shottagyal, welcome to the forums! From what you're describing, Coral Gables or South Beach would be the best areas for you to live in. They're the most walkable, villagey neighborhoods in Miami. Public transportation is a little spotty as far as which areas you're going to...

When I lived in South Beach, I had a 1 bedroom apartment in an older art deco building for $975. There was no private parking, appliances (other than central a/c) or pool. I suspect that $1200 may be a more realistic figure, but given today's market, you may yet find a deal. Naturally, studios are easier to find in the the $800-$1000 range.

Here's my story about how I found my apartment. Good luck with your search, and welcome to Miami!

Hi Shottagyal, welcome to the forums!

I would suggest Coral Gables or South Miami for your move. They are both easily walkable, safe and close to where you want to be. You will find better quality buildings for your price than you would on South Beach and you will also be around more young professionals. Where are you moving from and where in the gables will you be working (general street names.) If you are in downtown gables, you could feasibly get a place close by so that you can walk. I used to walk or bike around the Gables when I lived there

Congrats on your job transfer here! Everyone should be so lucky. I'm not sure if your budget can allow for it, but there is room for negotiation in this market, so I'm suggesting you look at buildings on West Ave in South Beach or possibly Brickell.

With buildings on West Ave, you have all the ammenities of a high rise-pool, gym, doorman, plus lots of other 9-5ers live there, and they offer garage parking. You'll be withing walking distance to the shops and restaurants on Lincoln..maybe 7 min walk.. Your building will most likely be on the Bay, so great views in the evening if you're outside.

Brickell would be my #2 choice.

I know the Opera Tower in Downtown has units for $900! The economy is so bad they lowered their prices down A LOT. They have a huge billboard on Biscayne stating the price, so this is how I found out.

A friend of mine lives in one of those $900/month places but I have never been... I wouldnt be able to tell you exactly how small it is but my friends told me it's perfect for one person...