Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New User

Default Good places to live near the Airport (MIA)?

I have read most of the post asking for advise on relocating to Miami, Read Matt's 10 parts relocation guide (Thought is was Great). I have lived in all but 7 states, Been in every major city. So change does not bother me. Working with people speaking a different language, no problem. I work for a international airline, most meetings held in Chinese, I speak only little Chinese. Traffic problems been there. All of Matt's 10 guides reminded me of other city's only Miami does not seem as bad. So living downtown, on the beach, 2 hour commute, high rise, loft, country club, golf course, etc... Been There Down That and all I have to show for it is a T-Shirt. My question is were would the average person live in Miami. I will be working on the west side of the Airport, The Air Cargo side. Looking for the right Area Halfway between the beach and Airport, Basically Safe, Good schools, Not low end, Not high end, Not too trendy, Not too stepford wives. Any one have any advise.

Hi NavyHawki, welcome to the forums! Coral Gables is ideally situated between the airport and the beach, but that can be a little pricey. Some of the adjacent neighborhoods around there are pretty nice. You will probably want to drive around and explore the areas near Coral Way. Closer to the Beach, Brickell is a nice area, but it's a very high rise type environment. Shenandoah is a little south of your target area, just off the 1, but it's still pretty convenient and nice. I have a friend that lives on SW 72nd Ave between Bird Road and Miller Road, near the Palmetto Expressway, and that's a very nice, quiet suburban area, a little south of the airport, minutes away from the Gables...maybe 20 minutes from the Beach. Hope that helps!

Coral Gables in the area between 24th St and SW 8 St. between 57 and 42 Aves.

Hey NavyHawkI! Welcome to MB411!

I would reccomend Coral Gables for your "halfway town". But Miami Beach is so great it may be worth the commute. You know that saying, "Live where you play, not where you work."

Hey NavyHawkI and welcome!

I am going to also echo everyone else and say Coral Gables is your best bet, especially in schools and location. I assume you are sending kids to school, what age level are they? There are some excellent private schools in Coconut Grove, but that gets expensive.

New User

Thank you all for the advise, Here is why I looking for a half way point. I like to work in one area, live in another and play in another. My motto, Every body needs to Work, Live and Play but not with the same people. I will move to Miami in August, so I plan to take 5 days in June and July visit and look around. The main problem is kids, with one in college and the other in middle school this presents new problems for me. College and private schools cost will not mix. I joined the Navy at 17 and was sent to New Orleans, so Mardi Gras lasted 4 years for me. So taking a 20 year old Female to Miami, Putting her too close to Miami Night Live, Yea Right! I open minded but not stupid. Having a Very active 11 year old boy, keeping him from roaming more than 20 houses away is a problem now put him on the beach No way. So with working for a International Airline at the Airport which is not a 9 to 5 job. I presently end up at work at least 6 days a week. Thats why a half way point, live some what close to work and go to the beach on weekends.

Ah...I know what you mean. Well, as a New Orleans native, I can assure you that Coral Gables is a lot mellower than anything you'll find going there. If I were to compare it to anything back home, I'd say it's kind of like the nicer part of uptown, at least as far as the vibe goes.

New User

The Navy Base was in Belle Chase and I lived in the West Bank. So in 1 of Matt's 10 point's about moving to Miami was traffic, Does Miami stop the highway traffic to let the on ramps traffic get on during rush hour like New Orleans? or is it just slow moving like LA?

No, in Miami, it's every man for himself. In LA (i.e., Los Angeles), they used to have the little red lights when you're merging unto the freeway (1-2 cars per green), but there's nothing like that in Miami. But then, the traffic isn't as bad as LA, either.

New User

So basically, Turn signals on cars are only there because the rest of the world uses them, Yellow lights mean nothing, Red light means I can still go until the other traffic blocks my way, Horns and international symbol of thank you are the norm, who ever has the biggest pair wins, Bangkok and Shanghai only in the US. Co-Worker's in Maimi will take me around during my visits, but do taxi driver's know the areas good but expensive or like the rest of america. Can not find South beach and always calling for directions. Want to take in some night life on my visits and what to be able to get back to Hotel Okay and not 40 to 50 dolars later. Will stay near airport to get idea whats involved with new job.

Glad you liked the guides, Squidney (I was in the Marines for a while, sorry). Welcome to the site! Sounds like you are well-prepared to move here and have figured out that, when you get down to it, life here on a day to day basis is not terribly more exciting than other cities.

Since you don't mind traffic, you may like Pinescrest or Palmetto Bay. These are nice, quiet areas with good schools. The Bay is a little cheaper than Pincecrest, and stil really nice. It will also give you a chance to work and play in different areas than you live. The drives to both playing and working, though, will not be short.

I think you should stay in Coconut Grove when you come to visit. This will allow you to be walking distance to one major area of nightlife (Coconut grove) and a not-terribly-expensive cab ride away from both Brickell and South Beach. Also solid nightlife districts. It has the added bonus of being a location every cab driver knows. It also is a very short drive to Coral Gables, and not far from Pinecrest/PB if you want to look at places there.

New User

Which area Coconut grove, Brickell or South Beach has not so many tourist. A little mix too, some Jass/Blues, Latin, Rock-n-Roll, more local favor. A area thats gives a good feel of Miami. When I travel internationally, there is always the tourist spot but there is the local areas that are little local and little tourist and you normally have a better time. Just want to get a feel for Miami during my visits and not do the "If you come to Miami you have to go ....." there will be time later for that. Yes, Matt like Kiefer said in the movie, Us Squid's were always willing to give the Marine's a ride to fight, but I no longer do the "Big Grey and Underway" thing.

Which area Coconut grove, Brickell or South Beach has not so many tourist. A little mix too, some Jass/Blues, Latin, Rock-n-Roll, more local favor. A area thats gives a good feel of Miami. When I travel internationally, there is always the tourist spot but there is the local areas that are little local and little tourist and you normally have a better time. Just want to get a feel for Miami during my visits and not do the “If you come to Miami you have to go .....” there will be time later for that. Yes, Matt like Kiefer said in the movie, Us Squid's were always willing to give the Marine's a ride to fight, but I no longer do the “Big Grey and Underway” thing.
    Although my time in Miami has been somewhat limited compared to most posters here, I would say that Coconut Grove or Brickell has more locals than South Beach. As I haven't spent much time in Brickell, Coconut Grove seems like what you are looking for. It is generally a younger crowd, with University of Miami really close by. Last time I was in Miami, which was a long time ago, it had a lot of nice restaurants, some fun bars, and some nice clubs. I never really felt like there was an overwhelming tourist presence, good or bad. It is physically a beautiful area, in my opinion. I think there is a new jazz/piano bar in Coconut Grove since I lived there. All and all a cool place. Craigslist often has weekly apartment rentals in The Grove that look really nice and would probably be much cheaper than a hotel. As far as Brickell goes, others can chime in better than I, but from all accounts sounds awesome! Hope that helps...

Hi Navyhawk! Welcome!

Where is your 20 year old going to college?

Also, I don't recommend South Beach for an 11 year old or a 20 year old, even if they are super responsible and don't require supervision. Mid-beach would be a better choice, and you could also commute using the 112 expressway to the airport (although there is some construction there right now).

Is there a reason you can't rent a car while you're here? Honestly, you are really short-changing yourself if you are trying to scope out areas to live and you can't drive around, unless your coworkers are seriously going to chauffeur all the time through the desired neighborhoods. Also, those night life excursions in a taxi will be expensive.

If you want to avoid tourists, you might as well not set foot on South Beach! The southeast portion of the island is very touristy and it's row after row of hotels and condos all the way up the coast. The only other area of Miami that is touristy is Bayside Market Place, an outdoor mall in downtown Miami. Coconut Grove is so-so touristy. It depends on where you go there.

If you want Local, yeah, brickell and the Grove are good.

On Brickell, Tobacco Road is the oldest bar in Miami and has live music (one of few places here that does). Also, RedBar is very Latin and a pretty nice place (tell Danny the owner I sent you over. I was their first regular). Transit lunge has a younger, psuedo-hipster vibe, and I have yet to meet an unaccompanied tourist in that place.

As far as the Grove, the corwd is gonne be younger, but Green Street is a nice, outdoor spot usually frequented by Hispanic young professionals. The bars in the grove tend to attract the college-to-twentysomething crowd, but during the summer that can change as UM is not in session. Check out Barracuda's for a local dive bar feel. Flanagan's (or Loggerhead's, as some older locals might call it) also a great place for local flavor in the Grove.

Live music is hard to come by anywhere. Just a fact of life here. There are good local spots on the Beach too, but if you want to focus on the city, those are my recommendations.

And Maria is right, rent a car. This city is huge and different areas are very different from each other, so if you want to really know what you're in for see as much as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer
    If you want Local, yeah, brickell and the Grove are good.

On Brickell, Tobacco Road is the oldest bar in Miami and has live music (one of few places here that does). Also, RedBar is very Latin and a pretty nice place (tell Danny the owner I sent you over. I was their first regular). Transit lunge has a younger, psuedo-hipster vibe, and I have yet to meet an unaccompanied tourist in that place.

As far as the Grove, the corwd is gonne be younger, but Green Street is a nice, outdoor spot usually frequented by Hispanic young professionals. The bars in the grove tend to attract the college-to-twentysomething crowd, but during the summer that can change as UM is not in session. Check out Barracuda's for a local dive bar feel. Flanagan's (or Loggerhead's, as some older locals might call it) also a great place for local flavor in the Grove.

Live music is hard to come by anywhere. Just a fact of life here. There are good local spots on the Beach too, but if you want to focus on the city, those are my recommendations.

And Maria is right, rent a car. This city is huge and different areas are very different from each other, so if you want to really know what you're in for see as much as you can.
    The Loggerhead, not Loggerhead's.

Navyhawk,
    for living, you also might want to look at Miami Springs, a nice residential city north of the airport, across 36th ST. It might be more affordable than Coral Gables, is very safe, and has good public schools.

New User

Once again thank you for all your advise, I do plan on renting a car. Its been my experence in the past that not knowing the local do and don'ts with parking, local police, area, etc... it's best to take a taxi a time or two when going out. Plus if you get good taxi driver you can learn much (short cuts, high traffic areas to avoid, etc..) I only plan to use a taxi for going out. Co-worker's helping, is just too hard to explain (it's a Company thing).

The 20 year coming to Miami is still up in the air, She wants to spread her wings and live on her own. Just not sure if she can get her money in order with work, pay her own bills and her part of college. If she does come, then college is totally up to her. I am only the bank, which college, class, major, etc.. her decision and she must do it all on her own or maybe she can come to this forum and ask for advise on the local colleges. I only require her to pay her percentage of cost, tell me at least two weeks in advance before coming to the Dad ATM and have NO student loans. I only offer advise to her on each college, it is her decision's because it is her life. If you ever went shopping with her, you would understand.

Navyhawk, Miami has an extensive community college program that is relatively inexpensive for state residents. She can get her core courses there (at many different campuses in the county), and then maybe consider transferring to a 4 year university.

I ask because if she had already thought about enrolling somewhere, that might determine where you might live.

New User

I have check into local colleges Maria, But for her ??? your guess is as good as mine. I do plan on taking this into account when finding a place to live. I am not looking for the dream house or were I plan to live out the rest my life. Only 3+ beds, 2+ baths, Garage, good schools, between work and the beach, basically safe area, some what close to the 20 year old choice of college. So I plan to scout the areas everyone has recommended on the first trip. Make decision and finalize all plans on the second trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast