Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default What to do with my car in hurricane/tropical storm

I park my car in my driveway where it is completely exposed to the elements in the event of severe weather. This is my first hurricane season living out here so I dont know what people in my circumstance normally do.

I was thinking that if a storm looks like it was headed this direction I could take it to the airport covered parking area where it would be better protected from debris as well as flooding. Does this sound like a good idea or are there better approaches that people out here use?

Everything is so hit and miss during hurricanes that there is a good chance that if you park your car tightly against your house - if you live in a house - then it should be all right.

But I've seen a few cars wind up with trees through their windshields and crushing their roofs as well as cars upended.

I personally would like to have my car as close to me as possible after a hurricane.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Parking your car indoors is a good idea.

If you live in Miami Beach, the city allows residents to park their cars in the public parking garages for free.

In years past, I parked my car for free at the metrorail parking garage in South Miami. My guess is that you can do the same at other stations.

Another tip is fill up your car with gas. This makes it heavier (and less likely to end up in a tree I hope).
    Also, after the storm if there is no electricity you won't be able to fill up at the pumps till it is back on.