Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default 1500 Ocean Drive or Waverly

Hey all I have been reading all your posts for a while and you have great information about moving to Miami. I am in the process of renting a place in South Beach. I have two places that I really like. One is located in 1500 Ocean Drive and the other in the Waverly. With all other factors about the units the same, does anyone have any advice on which building or area is better? Any complaints about either one? Any information would be great. Thanks!

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, murph, welcome to Miami Beach 411. Thanks for joining!

My friend used to live at 1500 Ocean Drive and loved it. I assume the apartment you're considering has parking.

Do you plan to do a lot of driving? If so, the Waverly building would be a little quicker to get to.

Here is the shortcut to 1500 Ocean Drive:

- north on Alton
    - east on 16th Street
    - south on Collins
    - east on 15th Street.

New User

Gus,

Thanks for the info. The unit does have 1 parking spot which is perfect for me. I will be doing a lot of driving during the week, to/from work, but don't plan on driving during the weekends. Do you know if your friend had major problems getting to the building during tourist season? People have warned me this could be a problem.

Preferred Member

My personal preference would be the Waverly, but that's my neighborhood so I might be biased :)

It depends on what you want, as with all things. The west side of the island (Waverly) is more quiet and "normal" whereas Ocean Drive is always ON. By the Waverly you can walk to a ton of places you'll need to go, from dry cleaning to the movie theatre, restaurants, shops and 7-11. Since Ocean is more tourist oriented, some of the shops and restaurants don't have a great value. You'll meet more locals at the Waverly for sure. Oh, and I love their pool/jacuzzi area. Mightly peaceful.

Good luck!

Hi Murph, welcome to the forums. I used to live on West Avenue and loved it. Talmage is right -- you can walk everywhere to lots of daily conveniences that you don't have on Ocean Drive!

Personally, I would pick the Waverly, only because I don't like being right in the thick of the touristy area and prefer something quieter. You can always go to Ocean Drive whenever you want, but it's nice to have the option of being in a more laid-back area of the island for day-to-day life. Traffic tends to be crazy on Ocean too, especially on weekends.

On the plus side for Ocean Drive, you are right on the ocean and can literally step outside and go to the beach, so it really depends on what's a priority for you. Then again, you can always just go to the beach, no matter where you live on the island.

The bay views are also incredible from the Waverly.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I have a friend who lives at The Waverly and it is an amazing place. I'd def choose that over Ocean Dr simply for the peace factor. Someone said Ocean is always 'on' well, that's true. Plus fighting the traffic that want to cruise up Ocean when you just want to go home...no way.

I would pick 1500. Its a higher quality building. Lincoln Rd is 1 block away, and nearly every hotspot or cool hotel is a short walk. No need for cabs.

Not only is it located on the beach, but they have their own beach service free of charge. Umbrellas, towels, chairs, and attendant at your disposal every day right on the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgandy
    I would pick 1500. Its a higher quality building. Lincoln Rd is 1 block away, and nearly every hotspot or cool hotel is a short walk. No need for cabs.

Not only is it located on the beach, but they have their own beach service free of charge. Umbrellas, towels, chairs, and attendant at your disposal every day right on the sand.
    But he is living here so whilst that is great for holidays, what about living, working, commuting etc? But you have a point about quality of the building, if it is better that is a consideration.

Weekday traffic is really light in my experience. Roads are empty in the mornings on Wash and Collins. More traffic in the afternoon, but Meridian and Washington are still easy to zip down.

The weekend traffic is the worst, but they don't plan to drive the weekends.

One thing about 1500 - don't get a west facing unit. Lots of noise on that side of the building from clubs and bars.

Gus

1500 is on the quiet end of Ocean.

1500 is also oceanfront, located on a quiet, dead end street.

If you take the route I gave you, living at 1500 would add an extra 10 minutes to the drive. If you take Collins most of the way, you could get stuck for an hour on some weekends.

What floor is the apartment on?

Does it have a good view of the beach?

What is the view at the Waverly?

If you live on the higher floors of the Waverly, depending on which side, you could have both views of the bay, the ocean and the entire island.

I happen to love bay views.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    1500 is on the quiet end of Ocean.

1500 is also oceanfront, located on a quiet, dead end street.
    All those buildings have been fighting Table 8 due to their patio noise. The SunPost was covering their battle for a long time. Now, there is that nightclub right at the bottom of 1500 in that plaza. Dolce?
    The balconies facing west are just a few feet away from the entrance.

Gus

Thanks for pointing that out, Burgundy.

So much for the quiet end of Ocean Drive.

Yeah, Gus and Burgundy ... while it is quieter than the rest of Ocean Drive, I don't think it's quiet at all. There are some restaurants on that little mall at the end, right next to the 1500. I would hate to live in an apt just above there facing west. And when you have high traffic times, it is pretty much a cluster f**k around that end of Ocean Drive, because it is a dead-end.

Also, if you have people visiting you -- I don't know if the 1500 has valet for guests or not -- but it's very hard to find parking around there. Something to consider if you plan on having guests and don't want them to pay $$$ premium for parking every time they come over to your house. There is a lot just under the building but it costs a pretty penny.

South Beach is overall not a quiet place. I could NEVER hear my analog ticking bedside clock until I moved to mid-beach, and I used to live on the 9th floor of West Avenue facing Lincoln Road (the quiet end of Lincoln Road), sleeping with windows closed. Can you imagine that? I didn't even noticed my clock ticked until I moved to mid-beach.

New User

Speaking of the Waverly with Ocean and Bay Views....We have a 2br, 2ba avaialable for a 6 month lease. Furnished nicely or unfurnished. $1900/month, best price, normally the 1 bedrooms cost $2000. It also comes with a parking space, 18th floor, corner unit! Licensed Real Estate Broker, Miami Angel Properties, LLC http://www.miamiangelproperties.com

New User

Thank you everyone for the input. I went down to Ocean drive around 1am just to check out the noise and it was very quiet. Unfortunately the apartment ended up not working out and I had to leave town before I knew that. When I am back in town I will be back to searching for a place but at least now I have a better feel for the area. Thanks again!