Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default South Beach Safety - Is the Crime Rate Bad?

Just how safe/unsafe is it in SOBE as I'm hearing things now that our trip is booked! Like don't walk anywhere at night?

We are renting a condo on Euclid near 3rd, 4th or 5th St. Is that a safe area or not?

I just read that a cop lured a woman into his cruiser with the intent of raping her! Egads!

Appreciate any input that will keep us out of harm's way, but we also don't want to hide in the condo for the week!

We're middle-aged parents coming down to visit our 23 yr old kid who will be working most of the time while we're there so we'll be mostly on our own.

I lived in Ft. Laud & Davie for 8 yrs during the late 60's/early 70's, so I know of the Jungle Queen Elbow Room, and where to go in Ft. Laud. I visited SOBE last year for a day, up around Lincoln St Mall.....loved it!

I always thought it was a place of acceptance and friendliness - have things changed and is the crime rate bad?

Hi Lynn,

The area that you are staying in is quite nice. South of 5th is considered "ritzy" these days. I used to live in that area and walk to and from work at night and never felt threatened. It is important that you keep your guard up and always be aware of your surroundings. Also, do not visit the beach at night. I think that is where much of the crime occurs.

I just read that a cop lured a woman into his cruiser with the intent of raping her! Egads!
    Perhaps that was someone posing as a cop?

Acceptance and friendliness is not really how I would describe South Beach; tolerant is a better word. I don't know this for sure, but I think the crime rate has drastically reduced in South Beach from the 60's and 70's.

Just relax, and have fun. Make sure you don't hide in the condo all week; that wouldn't be a good vacation. Go to the beach, enjoy walking on Lincoln Rd. and Ocean Dr., eat lots of good food and visit a club or a local bar. You will have a great time! :-)

New User

Tks
    Just knowing that the area of the rental is not a slum is great news as we rented if off of Craigslist which was really dumb but we got lucky!
    The story about the cop is real and he is in jail. There was quite a write up about it. It happened on a Tues about 2 weeks ago and they suspect that this isn't the first time!
    There's always a bad apple in every bunch, but the good ones outnumber the bad..
    Can't wait to visit and won't take any romantic walks on the beach at nite like we used to in the old days.....lol

New User

---
    System: The following message started a new topic at: forums/viewthread/558/ by Gus - 11:52pm on Apr. 29, 2007
    ---

Lynn,

They extended the boardwalk in Miami Beach. It used to run from 5th - 15th street. Then started again at 24th Street. They have connected it making it a great place to walk behind all the big hotels. There are lots of poeple out at night and a perfect place to get some exercise.

Hi Lynn!

I will say that my experience has generally been positive. I just use common sense and am just always aware. You will have no need to stay in your condo all week!

Also, with the current daylight savings time, there are so many people enjoying the boardwalk even into early hours of the night. I wouldn't walk on the beach late at night, as Michelle suggested, but again, with daylight savings you have hours and hours of good light. You can also walk along South Pointe Park (where Smith and Wollensky is , very close to your condo) ... the restaurant's location makes it a safer area for a night time romantic stroll. And of course, Lincoln Road is the best place for people watching.