Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New User

Default Finding work in a South Beach restaurant, bar

Hello,
    My name is Evelyne, i'm 25 and i'm from montreal Canada. I always wanted to spend some time in Miami and now the timing is just perfect. I'll be there on june first and will stay untill the end of august.

I'd like to find a job as a waitress or bartender (what's better?) in south beach. I was wondering if it was hard to get a job under the table in a good place. I have lots of experience in that business and i'm great at it , i don't wanna work for peanuts either!!!
    My english is excellent, i also speak italian and french of course : ))

Thank you in advance.
    Evelyne

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi Evelyn, thanks for posting your question. It's pretty easy to find a restaurant job in South Beach. Especially with your language skills. Have you seen this post "finding job as a waitress in Miami"?

I understand not wanting to work for peanuts. Here's a list of restaurants where you can make over $200 a night: Smith & Wollensky, Prime 112, Nemo, Tuscan Steak, China Grill, Blue Door, Social, Barton G., Tantra.

During your interview, I'd keep the part about only staying 3 months on the down-low.

Make sure you brush up on your wine knowledge. Do you know what a Mojito is?

I'd like to find a job as a waitress or bartender (what's better?)
    Restaurants offer better hours, but bars and clubs offer the potential to make A LOT MORE MONEY.

As far as working under the table, the restaurants where you can get away with that are typically the type of places where you will end up working for a tyrannical owner, making peanuts.

Does anyone know of other good restaurants in South Beach where a server can make big $$$?

Gus, you hit it on the nose with the restaurants where you can make money. However, I don't think any of those places will let you work under the table. You will have to try some of the smaller, non-corporate restaurants. Take a walk down Ocean Dr. and Lincoln Rd. There are also lots of clubs to work at. The hours are later but I would think the money is easier to make as a bartender.

Good Luck!

New User

thank you very much for your reply.
    well, i was also thinking that it might be easier to get a job under the table in a bar. What if i don't say i don't have a visa...could i get away by giving my canadian social security number...it starts with a 2 and it's 9 numbers long? do they verify with the goverment to see if the number is valid? It's just a friend's idea... honestly i rather say up front what my situation is.
    what do you think?
    thanks

I am really not sure about a Canadian social. I will try to find out for you.

New User

well the idea was to give my canadian number as if it was an american one.
    silly eh?

Silly? No. Creative, yes.

New User

hum. thanks. It might work actually...
    In canada the number always starts with a 2 for someone of my age (25). In america is it all mixed up? is it 9 numbers in total?

Thank you so much for your help.
    this forum's great!!!

Yes, it is 9 numbers but I think the beginning has to do with the area where you are born.

Hi Evelyn, welcome to our forums! I've never worked in the hospitality/service industry on the beach, so perhaps others who have can give you better advice. I can say however that be prepared to meet some very interesting and weird people in the process ... it's all good. :lol: For sure, your ability to speak different languages will be very useful. May I ask why you are attracted to South Beach?

New User

hey Manola,
    well, as i said, i always wanted to spend some time in miami..For me, south beach seems like a paradise on earth. The beach, the sun, lifestyle...i'd actually love to live in place like this my whole life. Of course, i've never been and i'm sure there are negative aspects too but i don't know... it just seems so fantastic.

I really hope i'll be able to find a good place to work, i've done it in Rome for 2 years and it was easy but in the states...i really don't know.
    we'll see i guess

Evacanada, if you love sun and surf this is certainly the best place to be ... yet there are many of us who live here who don't even ever see the sun or surf ... is that crazy? Yes!

I think if you are pulled to an area it's definitely worthwhile investigating. I have always wanted to do some time in Madrid or Barcelona, but only because my family is from Spain and I am very drawn to my roots.

Miami Beach is a small sliver of a city and island, but a world unto itself and very different from Miami (the mainland) ... the only way to discover it is to see it. I can tell you that as born and raised in Miami, I find no better place to live in South Florida than Miami Beach ... so come and explore!

New User

thanks for your support and again congrats on your blog it's truly entertaining...if you hear through the grape vine that they're hiring somewhere please give me a shout!!!

have a good day
    Evelyne

Eva, thank you! Remember my blog is semi-fictitional ... life is definitely what you make of it and South Beach provides the perfect palette.

Bars and clubs make more money eh??Any examples of places that hire during the summer??How much could a bartender make in a night??

dublinlad7,

You can find a list of bars and nightclubs in the Nightlife section.

I asked some of my bartender friends and they can make up to $700 on a Friday or Saturday Night. Good money, right?

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Mirna, where do your bartender friends work? If they're making $700 a night, I may be applying for a summer job too. %-P

New User

wow, up to 700$ a night is a loooot of money. It's even a little hard to believe...well i'd like to know where those people work also :wow:

michelle, did you find out about the social secutity number?

$700 that A LOT of money,what bars are these??How would you say is best to go about getting a decent job?? Should i email in advance or just chance my arm when i get over??

Everybody got curious abouth the place where my friend work.

Let me tell you that the amount that I mentioned can be reached Friday or Saturday. The rest of the week is an average of $40 or less. Good money doesn't come everyday. Sometimes bartenders work shift of 10 or 11 hours to make good money. And you have to work hard for the tips.

I used to be a busser in a famous restaurant. I worked only 20 hours and I got paid more than working in a regular office job for 40 hours a week. But after few months, you don't even care about the money, your body and the strees in the hospitality bussiness is too much.

Evacanada I sent you a PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast