Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Is 5th Street a ghetto location? (Pictures)

Hi,

I asked this question (more or less) at the bottom of the other thread I started about good landlords, and fear it might be buried....

But I'm supposed to meet a landlord in early May who has an upcoming vacancy at his building in the 700 block of Michigan. I liked the area when I was down there for a visit last February, because it was a little quieter than the streets around Lincoln Road, easier to park, with an alleyway to drop off groceries and stuff.

However, I see Manola's post about the area between 5th and Flamingo Park being known as the "hood". Is the 700 block of Michigan something I should avoid? Or is it just a matter of stepping over the odd comatose bum and turning down the occasional crack salesman?

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi freespirit, thanks for posting these great questions. Your other thread's not burried. I'm looking forward to sharing what I know about the Motel 6 in Dania (Long story short: it's an excellent place to stay while you get on your feet).

The 700 block of Michigan is a decent location. The street is quiet. I'd feel comfortable living there. The location you need to watch out for is from 5th to 6th Street, between Euclid, Meridian, and Jefferson. If South Beach had a ghetto, this section would be it.

I read Maria's comment about it being "hoodie" up to Flamingo Park, I'm not sure what she ment by that.

Thanks, Gus! This site has been a godsend for me! It's helped me a great deal in my moving process. I really appreciate all the work you, Maria, Michelle and everyone else is doing!

I'm glad to hear that block of Michigan is okay. Now, about the area between Fifth and Sixth on Euclid, Jefferson, and Meridian, when you say hood, are you talking about armed robberies, muggings, and assaults, or is this more in the line of people sitting around with their 40's squabbling with the neighbors and playing their music too loud? Here in New Orleans, hood has some pretty serious ramifications!

I used to live at Michigan and 8th street, and I loved it. Street parking is much easier than other areas in South Beach, and everything is walking distance.

The location that Gus mentioned is correct. There's a lot of homeless and drunk people at night, but I never had any problems. I noticed that the worst section is on Meridian, full of drunk people because there is an drug store that sells alcohol until late and cigarrette per unit (I never saw that before).

Gus

Freespirit, it's likes Mirna says, you mostly have to contend with drunk and homeless people. I'd avoid walking around there late at night.

Mirna, what do you mean they sell cigarrette per unit? Do you mean they sell them individually? That's so ghetto.

You two crack me up!! That is so ghetto!

When I used to walk home at night (Jefferson & 10th St.), I would walk down Washington Ave., then down a side street to avoid the area between 5th and 6th. I guess it is just a bunch of drunken crackheads but you can never be too sure; it's just shady. It seems like they are trying to clean up that area - renovated stores, old crack houses are being torn down.

7th and Michigan is nice; you will like it.

However, I see Manola's post about the area between 5th and Flamingo Park being known as the “hood”.
    Could you tell me the Title of that post?

Hi Michelle, the reference Maria made to the area between Fifth and Flamingo Park, Alton Road and Collins, as being ghetto was in the "what neighborhoods are safe for a female" thread, the fourth reply. Thanks for your feedback, Mirna and Gus! If I get that apartment, I suppose that place on Meridian will have to be my new local market....a crackhead or two will remind me of home, so no major problem there. As long as no one is throwing up gang signs and asking me what "set" I'm with, I will just go grab my fresh-squeezed juice and my empanada and get out of there...unless you have a better suggestion for a local market, Mirna!

Gus

Thanks, freespirit.

Here's the link, Michelle.

I've been wanting to use the new feature that allows us to link to a specific post in a thread.

I would avoid the area near 5th street in between Collins and Alton Road all the way up to Flamingo Park. It's known as the "ghetto"
    I don't necessarily agree with what Maria said. Perhaps she will clarify what she meant.

Oy, oy and more oy!!!

Here's the thing ... I am a single female and I've been mugged at gun point before (in Coral Gables, no less) ... if I had the CHOICE of living off the "ghetto" of SoBe I would, but if it's not like Beirut or anything (actually there's an area in mainland Miami off the Miami River and 8th street known as Little Vietnam, because it's so dangerous, perhaps White Dade could enlighten us on that matter) ...

You will see crackheads, drunk and such ... I once saw a shady guy carrying a knife (he did not bother to hide) and of course I clammed up and quickened my step ...

I just personally prefer to avoid seeing or being around that environment when walking about 100% ... but it's not like you are going to be experiencing grave anxiety over your safety 24/7 ... Miami Beach is very much like a Manhattan, some corners good, others more shady .. heck, even in my "pristine" hood up here in Mid Beach I'd still hesitate to walk around late at night ... but definitely that area near Meridian and 5th is still more "ghetto" than up here.

Look, one of my best friends, who lives on Euclid just near Lincoln Road, was walking home late one night and he saw a man and a woman having sex on the sidewalk (he actually called me b/c it was so unbelievable) ... I can't explain how crazy SoBe is ... in some respects totally normal and then you just never know ...

Now, the market just around 5th street, albeit ghetto, is actually AWESOME! So the perfect market, like a mini supermarket, with great produce and wine ... when I would visit my friends down there, we'd stop by for provisions. Tap-tap, a great Haitian restaurant, is around the corner and egads, the rest of SoBe just a spit away.

I have a problem with violence, but public sex I can deal with. Unless, of course, it's violent public sex. That would suck.

Mirna, what do you mean they sell cigarrette per unit? Do you mean they sell them individually? That's so ghetto.
    Gus, yes that's what I meant. It happened that I went to buy something at that store and I saw the homeless asking only for 1 cigarrette for $0.25. Crazy!!

My suggestion for local Market will be the market on 6th street and Meridian, we called it "El Indio" among my latin friends. They also have a deli section witf Cuban food at really good prices.

Hi guys,

My thought is, the location is not so dangerous.

I have some friends that live around that area, and many times I have walked my way home after midnight.

I don't know guys, maybe it's about luck.

I was robbed on Lincoln Road at 4am.

I think sobe is a safe place. For the people who don't think so, go to Overtown and Downtown and you'll see what dangerous is...

Gus

It was Pancho's mugging that led me to write this article about Vacation Safety Tips.

Gus

Just got back from 5th Street. I think we're being WAY to hard on this location. Ghetto is a strong word. It would be a shame for people to get the wrong idea.

Why don't you judge yourself. Below are a few pictures from the neighborhood.

The first picture of the couple on the bike was taken at the intersection of Michigan and 6th. The next shots are of Meridian Market, Las Olas Cafe, the view looking north up Michigan toward Flamingo Park, and a couple crossing Meridan and 6th.

After seeing it, do we all feel safer about walking around?
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Wow, Gus, I'm amazed that you went to this trouble! You're great! And you're right. The neighborhood does look terrific. Reminds me of what I love about South Beach. Living in post-Katrina hell here in New Orleans is so subtly depressing, when I see something this nice, it reminds me about why I feel so strongly about moving!

Is it a common practice in South Beach for people to rent places before they get there? I realize that there is a risk for the tenant if they don't know the building or the area, but since I've seen it, and you've gone to the trouble of researching the area, I think I'd be okay on my end. But is this something SoBe landlords are used to doing?

Gus

"Is it a common practice in South Beach for people to rent places before they get there? I realize that there is a risk for the tenant if they don't know the building or the area, but since I've seen it, and you've gone to the trouble of researching the area, I think I'd be okay on my end. But is this something SoBe landlords are used to doing?"
    I wouldn't say it's common, but I don't think a landlord would have any problem with it.

Did I mention to bring a bike? %-P

Great photos, Gus!

Yes, I'd like to point out that calling that area "ghetto" is just a local's term because it's relatively so compared to other areas of South Beach.

Freespirit, I don't know about that custom ... but since we have so many transient residents and visitors, I wouldn't be surprised.