Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thanks! Compared to what I've seen I think it's a good deal. The nicely furnished places fly off the market, and so far two places that I wanted to see have been rented, one for full asking price.

I'm just curious, out of everyone here, would you prefer to live in a high rise on West with a doorman, pool, gym, etc or a small art deco building that has more of a neighborhood feel?

Actually I'm apartment hunting too in the exact same areas. However, I don't think we are looking at the same units, though we may be looking at some of the same buildings.

I'm a view guy. I love waking up in the morning and seeing the water...either bay or ocean. However, I'm now temporarily staying in a wonderfully renovated art deco building on Euclid, that has NO view......and I like it. So, now see the allure of such a place.

As for me, though I am not a fan of the doorman, I did feel safer with having one. I do enjoy a good gym. I also enjoy an active pool. And I like living somewhere high enough that I have a bird's eye view. I also like the designated covered parking in the highrises too.

But the most important criteria to me is the neigborhood. Does the serenity of south of fifth beat out the convenience of West? Is their a favorite bar or restaurant nearby? Favorite park? Favorite walk? When it is hot out....I like having my favorte spots short walk away.

Well, I hope we're not looking at the same buildings. I'm deleting everything about the apartment I want so no one else takes it!!

Hey gator,

You should check out the buildings on West. For all the ammenities they offer, they're surprisingly affordable, even the ones with a balcony and a view. The Flamingo has a bar at the pool as well as pool parties. I'll offer up my comments on the West high rises after I see them.

There is a furnished place on 8th and Euclid if you like that location. PM me and I can give you my realtor's number. I think it was about $1300. It's furnished and very "south beach", but I think they had a flea problem although the owner claims it's gone.

I really cannot wait to move. This is the second time a car has nearly killed Ginger.
    She was on the leash walking behind me and some idiot turned into a parking lot and didn't see her. I am so ready to live somewhere quiter, with less traffic.

A guy on a bike told me if he did run her over, he'd be facing jail time. I yelled at the driver and he admitted he didn't see her. The bad Miami drivers I always here about are not only dangerous to other drivers, but to pedestrians as well. I'm going to find a new walking route for now.

I strongly discourage anyone with a small dog from living in a busy, touristy area.

Thanks for the advice. I'm actually pretty far along in my search and I've looked at most of the buildings on West, including the Flamingo. At 42, I'm a little old for the apartment side of the Flamingo, but I did like the South Tower. Unfortunately, the parking is an extra $162 and is located on the far side of the complex. Right now I'm torn now between the Mirador, Waverly and the Royal Atlantic on Ocean. The condo at the Royal is the cheapest by far, has nice updates and has a great view of Lummus Park, Ocean Dr and the Atlantic. Really, the view is unique. However, it doesn't have a gym and doesn't seem like a very social building. Mirador is a little dated, but has a great view, great gym and a nice pool. The Waverly seems to have the largest percentage of professionals (which I like), is the nicest building of all, has a very nice pool and a small but updated gym. Of course, it is the most expensive of the three and the view is the least impressive.

With all that said, I'm leaning towards the Royal because it is the closest to Ted's.

Not trying to steal your thread, but if you want some specific info on any of the buildings on West, I'll share any dirt I have on them.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorcoasty
    With all that said, I'm leaning towards the Royal because it is the closest to Ted's.
    Are you sure you're not Matt Meltzer in disguise?

Great that you narrowed it down to the high rises. The Flamingo has a reputation of a party building, and a girl I know said "it will be like a frat house and even though you like parties and being social, you're too sophisticated for that building." I trust her, she's very honest. She told me the Waverly would be great for me, but I guess there's nothing there in my price range. $167 for parking in Miami??

You mentioned you want to be around professionals..Do you think since the Royal is on Ocean it will be tourists and part-time residents? The building I live in now is only half occupied..the other owners come down a few weekends per year. Although it will be in the sofi area, and that's residential. Have you looked in 1500 Ocean, the Yacht club, or the Continuim? They're out of my price range but may work for you.

My Realtor is moving back into the Mirador, and she has her pick of places. Tomorrow I see more places...

Give us the scoop on the buildings!!

I was planning on moving down to SoBe when my lease ended at my current place but i have to have covered and secure parking. I love a lot of the older deco buildings and the charm they have but no way am i parking on the street and most the buildings there with parking garages are out of my price range.

I guess you already know what I'd say....I like smaller...easier access...less obnoxious people to encounter everytime you go in and come out. Plus the old Deco buildings are more solidly constructed with concrete reinforcement, so less noise carrying over from apartment to apartment.

"I love a lot of the older deco buildings and the charm they have but no way am i parking on the street and most the buildings there with parking garages are out of my price range."

You would be surprised...I came across an inexpensive art deco unit that came with parking.

Quote Originally Posted by sungal
    "I love a lot of the older deco buildings and the charm they have but no way am i parking on the street and most the buildings there with parking garages are out of my price range."

You would be surprised...I came across an inexpensive art deco unit that came with parking.
    As in covered garage parking? And preferably elevated so my car wont flood when it rains? Parking is really the only thing keeping me from moving to the beach.

"As in covered garage parking? And preferably elevated so my car wont flood when it rains? Parking is really the only thing keeping me from moving to the beach."

The cheapest buildings with parking that I saw and liked were the older condos south of fifth on ocean and the South Bay Club on West. You could get covered/secured parking (and maybe elevated) in those places for around $1200 for a 1br.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorcoasty
    "As in covered garage parking? And preferably elevated so my car wont flood when it rains? Parking is really the only thing keeping me from moving to the beach."

The cheapest buildings with parking that I saw and liked were the older condos south of fifth on ocean and the South Bay Club on West. You could get covered/secured parking (and maybe elevated) in those places for around $1200 for a 1br.
    Hmm, south bay looks pretty nice and has good prices. Im gonna have to do a drive by see if they have a garage. You know how long the approval process is for the place? Same day or do they have a lame HOA that takes like 3 weeks to process an application.

I just saw 2 places there today. It's a very quiet, almost dead building. Since it's dated, it's affordable. The units I saw had beautiful views. A one bed at the Flamingo runs about $200 higher than South Bay Club. It is a nice location though. They definately have a garage.

I went to see something in the Flamingo today (in the condo tower). I thought I would hate it and I have to say I was impressed. The only reason I went is so I could answer questions here if people write in about it. It has an upscale resort feel to it. I love the bay view, but I don't love the location. We'll see..It's possible I end up there..

I go my cute apartment in sofi!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going back tonight with Gingie to take some pictures..so happy! We didn't do checks and the lease yet, and I still have to figure out my move out date.

I'm going back tonight with Gingie to take some pictures..so happy! We didn't do checks and the lease yet, and I still have to figure out my move out date.
    Put a deposit down as soon as you can... that place will go quickly otherwise. Congrats sungal! :cheese:

YIPPIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's celebrate at the plunge get together next week!

That's great news! I'm happy for you! It's better to be upfront about a pet, I realized quite a few years back. Sometimes you can fudge on the exact number you might have at any given time, but it's best just to make sure it's a pet-friendly place right up front. Especially if it's a dog that you have to take out for walks!

Thanks everyone! The landlord met Ginger and saw how sweet and well behaved she is, so he's ok with her. He has 2 small dogs himself. I can't wait to go back tonight to see it again and take more pictures. I'll give him the security too.

I'm going to see if I can swap the mattress and I need to figure out how to re-work the living room. It's jammed with furniture. But other than that it's perfect. It even has a bathtub, and the landlord created abeautiful backyard oasis with ponds and a cabana with a table and chairs...love it!

Plus, after crazy drivers almost ran over Ginger twice, and today a chubby tourist stepping on my foot, I can't wait to ditch this part of town!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123