Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Apartment Hunting

I looked for a new apartment today and no luck.

First I looked at a gut rehab building that offered jr one beds and a true one bed.
    1)The true one bed was $1500, plus $100 since I wanted it furnished. It was obviously nice for that price but small at around 670 sq. ft. internet and cable are included.

2)the jr one bed in the same building..$1100 plus $100 furniture, very tiny. Aside from size my problems with it were the 2 in 1 washer/dryer, (takes forver to dry clothes), and the HALF refrigerator. Supposedly it's European. It did offer a wine refigerator, which again makes no sense to me.

3) a studio for $900-not for me, but decent.

4. Finally something super nice! It had the most beautiful furniture, spacious, and was so nicely decorated. But it was on the 1st floor, no washer/dryer, mini frige, older but charming bathroom, and since it was the oldest property I've seen I worry I could have insect issues. $1100 The realtor is going to let me know if it has a common laundry room, but I just don't think I could work with the frige.

5. Modern bachelor pad. Austin powers furniture so we left, but it was nicely renovated and a decent size.

6. I didn't even want to go in the last one. The building looked poorly maintained, and the door had a gate that was all rusty, where the other apartments had nicely painted gates. I told the realtor it wasn't a good sign, and she said "You need to be positive, this will be your place." Of course I was right and it was the worst place we saw the whole day. Ugly wallpaper, mis-matched living-room furniture, and a small dead palmetto bug on the livingroom floor.

I never gave the realtor my criteria and price range, so I think this is why I had no luck. I guess a real conversation rarely happens with email and texting. I hope to go out again soon!

Sungal, if you can live without a few of the frills, my old landlord, Steve Starr, owns quite a few pet-friendly rentals around the Beach. I'd try giving him a call and seeing what he has. His number is 305-527-7959. He is pretty easy to deal with and the apartment was in good condition.

My experience with him was so much better than the one with Tibbetts Properties in DeLand!

I think if you work out your budget, and then what you want in the apartment (washer, modern furniture etc) and present it to the realtor it will probably help save time. But also, I would walk the neighborhoods you want to live in and see what is out there. Because I have a bike, I get to see all the streets and there are tons of places available right now. I cycled Pennsylvania the other night (after I saw you actually!) and there are some amazing well kept buildings along that street alone, and the rent signs say whether it is furnished, pets, so you know a rough idea of what is in there. Take your phone and you can probably see a load in one day by yourself.

I would avoid any 1st floor apartments for fear of flooding. Look back at the pictures from the June flood. A lot of 1st floor apartments had a few feet of water swimming through.

For ~$1500/month, you can really get into some nice places. Even south of fifth.

Burgundy I agree that a higher floor is better. Doug, thanks but I like frills!

Today I will definately walk around. Do you think I call the # on the for rent sign while I'm standing there or go home and call?

The prices SoFi for a smaller building aren't bad at all right now.

As for the 1st floor, another reason not to live on it is the noise from above. I had to move recently as the girl above me would never take her heels off and she had a tile floor, sooo noisy >:(

Quote Originally Posted by sungal
    Burgundy I agree that a higher floor is better. Doug, thanks but I like frills!

Today I will definately walk around. Do you think I call the # on the for rent sign while I'm standing there or go home and call?
    I'd call from outside the building. Ask to see it now, and if they can't make a time later go back. Better to do it now also while you have the time.

Don't dismiss my suggestion so quickly, sungal. It may well be that he has units that would have the frills you require. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Today I saw the most gorgeous apartment..beautiful furniture, spacious, but I looked down at the kitchen floor..sure enough mouse droppings. It was older but charming. So annoyed. I was even willing to work with the mini fridge and first floor. Grrrr

Did they ask extra for the mouse? I used to have a few. They make excellent pets, but sadly, die so easily. I wouldn't offer any more than $10 extra per mouse.

Ah, so funny Doug. I thought you had a rat? Basically the kitchen was older and if they had mice that means other creepy crawlers. I just can't live with that. I realize I really love my current place..

I do have a rat. Two, in fact. I used to have a mouse, too. A few. They died.

I'm tired of seeing the "Letter from my landlord" thread, and it's hard to read, in more than one way.

I have some promising apartment options:

The first one is 16th and Lenox, renovated, very clean and well maintained, pool in the building, nicer furniture..I'd have to change a few things, and a balcony. The negatives- It has more than I need. It's huge and even has a parking space, which again, I don't need. It does have tiled terracotta floors which I know are common, but I've never lived in a place with tile floors. Out of my window I do see Mc Donald's and the other realtor said you can smell french fries. Yuk.

My realtor convinced me the location is great..a few blocks from Publix and Walgreens, close to Lincoln Rd, evil John's pet shop, and Epicure, where you can easily go bankrupt. I would also be close to the high rises along the bay.

The second one I saw was in the sofi area, affordable since it included utilities, but the furniture was too crazy for me to live with.

Monday we're going to see:

One very expensive but nice place in sofi.

Something in the Mirador.

Something in the Flamingo. I asked my realtor why some people don't like the Flamingo, and she said it's 1000 units, and the building always has pool parties and things like that. So it does have a party atmosphere, but I remember someone writing in saying he was dissapointed with the social scene.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by sungal
    I'm tired of seeing the "Letter from my landlord" thread, and it's hard to read, in more than one way.

I have some promising apartment options:

The first one is 16th and Lenox, renovated, very clean and well maintained, pool in the building, nicer furniture..I'd have to change a few things, and a balcony. The negatives- It has more than I need. It's huge and even has a parking space, which again, I don't need. It does have tiled terracotta floors which I know are common, but I've never lived in a place with tile floors. Out of my window I do see Mc Donald's and the other realtor said you can smell french fries. Yuk.

My realtor convinced me the location is great..a few blocks from Publix and Walgreens, close to Lincoln Rd, evil John's pet shop, and Epicure, where you can easily go bankrupt. I would also be close to the high rises along the bay.

The second one I saw was in the sofi area, affordable since it included utilities, but the furniture was too crazy for me to live with.

Monday we're going to see:

One very expensive but nice place in sofi.

Something in the Mirador.

Something in the Flamingo. I asked my realtor why some people don't like the Flamingo, and she said it's 1000 units, and the building always has pool parties and things like that. So it does have a party atmosphere, but I remember someone writing in saying he was dissapointed with the social scene.
    Anyone remember the old addage: "I made my bed; now, I must....sleep in it"?

Jim

Or better yet...
    "Oh what a tangled web we weave;
    when first we practice....to deceive"

Have you taken a look at any places in the Decoplage? Im thinking about this condo when I move down in nov(ish)

the location of the decoplage is fantastic and many month to month leases are available!

And according to their rules and regulations, they accept pets! They seem to have a lot of studios for around 1300$ a month...

For example:

0318 ($ 1,300 monthly)

For Rent - Studio w/balcony/Furnished/tile floors totally updated. Rent $1300 monthly. NEGOTIABLE w/one year lease. Call 305-442-9020

Listed by: Dr. Sanford Rakofsky

I haven't seen anything in the Decoplage..but the location is great-on the beach and at the begining of Lincoln Rd. I heard it was older though. Plus I live in that area now. It's fun for awhile but it's very touristy and I'm ready for something more serene and residential.

This post has been deleted. I will post about my apartment after it's mine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast