Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yes, that sounds like a wtf moment.

Whilst we can debate back and forth about who is in the wrong here, dog vs no dog etc, I do think the 2 landlords are trying to throw their weight around and bully you. I am sure if you lived with a big scary boyfriend or you were a guy they wouldn't be going about this the way they are. You do have a right to live in peace and having them knock on your door isn't fair.

If they start harassing you or let themselves in, threaten to call 911! Drastic I know, but that is what I would do! Play the 'I'm a young single girl living on my own' card. But if you do that to get an extra week, probably don't expect to get your deposit back...

There is no chance you will receive the deposit back. This situation is exactly why landlords need deposits (when renters break the rules they agreed upon). The landlord will likely have to pay fines from the association because you decided to bring a dog to the property. That comes out of his pocket and your security deposit.

If Ginger needs a place to stay for a few days or even a few hours so you can show these guys shes not there, I can help. PM me if you want. What a crappy situation! People can be so heartless.

Sungal, why don't you take your landlord up on the offer of another furnished unit? I know you're in a bad place, but honestly, I don't think I've ever read a nicer letter from a landlord whose contract you have violated.

It seems like even though you broke the no dog rule, he is willing to help you move out into a similar situation where you don't have to buy furniture. You know, in some ways, he's actually doing you a favor -- it sounds like a blessing in disguise.

Why don't you just talk to him? Say you're very sorry you broke the rule, that you found yourself in an unexpected bind because of the broken engagement, which was something you never expected. Shit happens to people, and your landlord should surely understand that. Perhaps he would he be kind of enough to give you a break if you work with him on that other unit?

Now, the thing is, I do believe he needs to send you that letter as certified mail. Was that the case? You have only one month left, right? It would be a moot point for him to bother with eviction procedures at this point.

If I lived on my own I would offer to take care of the dog for you, but unfortunately I don't.

Keep us posted.

Maria,

My realtor showed me that place he mentioned. Cute but it has a flea problem!! I looked in sofi area today and thank God I see new, mid-rise buildings..so I really think I'll find something nice.

Oh no! That's quite ironic, isn't it? I'm glad you saw some new places. I hope it all works out for you. I'll send you some positive rent vibes.

I was just about to write about the latest letter and conversation from my landlord when I got another one. It's the proper letter for the first step of eviction. I'm doing a little more research on my own and then I think I really do need to find a temporary living situation for Ginger, or consult with an attorney. I know they're expensive but I have a lot at stake: 1 month security, Ginger's comfort (she can't do a kennel), losing the rest of Oct's rent, and being rushed into a less than desirable apt. In NJ I worked with real estate attorneys and they charged a flat fee of about $1000 to handle the sale/purchase of a condo. I'm hoping a lease violation would be a lot less.

In the previous letter the ll said the Miami Beach Police would come and force me to vacate after 15 days..I really don't think that's true.

I contacted my original realtor and I have new hope for the sofi section. There are a lot of newer buildings and the neighborhood seems great.

Quote Originally Posted by sungal
    I was just about to write about the latest letter and conversation from my landlord when I got another one. It's the proper letter for the first step of eviction.
    So you got another letter, and then another official one? It's a shame he's doing this to get ahead on the condo board, as I'm guessing no neighbors have actually complained about Ginger.
    I would be so pissed at my neighbor who told him about the dog.

My neighbor was trying to help. I told him he's not allowed to help me anymore when he's drunk at a wedding in Europe. Ginger hasn't bothered a soul. One downstairs resident saw her and was nice..held open the door. Some people are renters, so they may have no idea that no dogs are allowed on the 2nd floor. She never barks and of course there is no poop near my building.

The landlord and his partner came by one day..and they did see fur in the hallway. That's how they found out. I have a feeling I wasn't home, and they probably came in and saw her. Gingie sheds like nothing I've ever seen..she's just adjusting to the heat here. I've swept the hall but I should've swept in the am when the sun shines in. I guess I didn't get all of it.

Sungal, one a friend of mine lived in a unit in my same building in mid-beach. She was going through a very rough time financially and was late on her rent one month. She never got evicted in the end but was *this* close. It did not take months like people say. Once the landlord puts the notice on the door, the cops will show up if you don't leave voluntarily.

Also, will you not end up spending just as much on an attorney? Is that worth it?

By the way, next apartment you rent, change the lock on your door and replace it with the old one when you move out.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles
    Sungal, one a friend of mine lived in a unit in my same building in mid-beach. She was going through a very rough time financially and was late on her rent one month. She never got evicted in the end but was *this* close. It did not take months like people say. Once the landlord puts the notice on the door, the cops will show up if you don't leave voluntarily.

Also, will you not end up spending just as much on an attorney? Is that worth it?
    Maria, are you serious about the cops showing up? I'll call and ask. Wow, I thought eviction took months. That's what I was counting on. See, this is why I need an attorney. I thought the sheriff shows up after the court case, if you're found guilty and still refuse to leave...ahhh. The letter today says I have 7 days to remedy the situation, and then I can stay. Maybe I will have to put her in a kennel. EIther that or move into a vacant place within one week. Ihave a lot of thinking to do. I guess I could have her in a kennel, but it would have to be a max of one week. It really would be cruel and unusual punishment for her. She hates most other dogs, barking, and can you imagine if you had to sit in a tiny cage for one week?

I also run the risk of her returning to a 2 week period of shock and depression when I bring her to the new place. And she may go back to her poor potty behavior, which would be a complete nightmare.

There is a tenant in my builing who hasn't paid the rent since he moved in. It has taken months to get him out, in fact he is still there now, and this has been going on for about 4-5 months. That's why I figured it takes a long time.
    Well if they gave you the official 7 days then I would really look into finding somewhere to put her temporarily. Sure, it's not her fault but this dog is causing havoc! Do any of the groomers on the beach have doggy hotels?

Sungal, I'm still not clear.

a) your lease is up in October and you prepaid that month, right? Which day?

b) is he refusing to return your security deposit? is he holding on to other money?

I think there are some "nice" doggie kennels out there where they're more like doggie hotels rather than cooped-up situations ... you should research that. Other option: find a dog sitter where you can visit her everyday. I have someone in mind who lives close to you in South Beach, who has taken care of dogs before ... I'll PM you.

I'm calling the police to find out about eviction.. Yes, I'm paid until Oct 31. We're not at the point of security deposit return yet. But like I mentioned there are all sorts of other issues that I am not 100% certain about. Yes, the Sofi pet store claims it's a doggie hotel, but it's kennels in a room where they do grooming. If she had more of a dog personality, I would be fine putting her there. Thanks for the info about the pet-sitting friend.

Right now, I'm hoping to just find a place so I can move asap.

I just called the miami police department..I can't believe it. My landlord today gave me a 7 day notice that my lease will end and I need to vacate if I don't remedy the problem. I was ok with that..I thought the eviction process takes months. Apparently a landlord can go to court and apply for a 3, 7, or 30 day eviction. The landlord fills something out, the judge stamps it, and surprise- the sheriff knocks on your door and kicks you to the curb! This was my letter. I don't get a letter from the court or any official notice. Ahhhh!! She mentioned something about contesting it..

There should be some legal aid department in the area where you can ask a local lawyer a question. Back in the 80's, the city attorney had associates who did this all the time specifically with eviction concerns---have you tried to call the city attorney's office to see if there is someone that you can ask a question?

Sungal, seriously. Put the dog in a kennel till you sort out a place. I know you love her and all, but this is getting out of hand.

I agree with Jess, if you're this close to being evicted, put her in a doggie hotel (the one's in South Beach generally have good reputations), and try to solve the rent situation asap.

Yeah, find a nice kennel. There are some super nice ones out there. You can visit her daily, watch her on camera, etc. Its only a month at the latest, and shorter if you find a place sooner.

South of Fifth will be paradise for her if you move here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast