Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Best way to actually move

Hi everybody,
    What is the best way to actually move? I don't have much furniture that I am planning on bringing - figure it would be cheaper to get it there in Miami. I do have a lot of stuff though, clothes, jewelry, trinkets, you name it. Here are the options I see:

(1) If I drive myself I am looking at putting $1,500 miles on my car and a 25 hour drive! Ugh. Cost I am approximating $350 in gas an tolls. I can probably fit a lot of my stuff in my car and can get the other stuff there by mail. I do have a GPS but this is very ambitious of me as I have never driven out of state haha. I do need to get out there though lol

(2) I could have my car shipped there and have my stuff shipped there and fly down. Less stressful & no miles on my car....I am estimating $700 for the car ship, $250 for the plane ticket...As for my stuff since I don't have a lot of furniture I could probably mail it down myself? Anybody know of a cheap way to ship a little bit of stuff?

What is the best option? Can somebody who's done this comment? Thank you.

Hey Bond Girl,

I moved with one suitcase, one weekend duffel bag, and a large tote bag as my carry-on. Beilieve it or not, these were the only things I really needed. I put my fall/winter clothes with my parents and my furniture in storage. I packed 4 boxes with clothes, some photos, shoes, handbags, alarm clock, ipod, etc. In one box, since summer cllothes are so light and my step-mom is that good at folding, I got about 40 pieces in there. However, I'm ruthless when it comes to getting rid of things.

If you skip over the same items of clothing everyday, just get rid of those items. Don't bring down things you don't need. I think my 2nd checked bag was $25 and then my 4 boxes, insured, were less than $100. But, since I didn't really need any of the boxed itemes immediately, I just shipped regular mail, not priority.

We were packing at the last minute of course but my step mon thought I should've done those plastic bags that you can vaccum seal,and suck out all the air. Maybe you should look into those.

I'm not sure anbout the furniture though..that sounds expensive to mail. What about packing your car with the furniture, since it's getting shipped?

I don't have much furniture, I have small book case like thing I want to bring with me. I am definitely taking all of my stuff with me though, and unlike you I am not ruthless about getting rid of things lol. I thought about shipping my car full of my stuff, but unfortunately on the website of the car shipping company it said that you need to have the car completely empty. :(

Tough one... How precious are you about the car? As in, are you keeping it cos if so the miles don't matter. I'd forget the cost though and do whatever is easiest to get your stuff and you down here.

I heart my car. Haha. My only true love! So yeah i'm precious with it if you know what I mean, my baby already has a lot of miles on him. Car ship + flight is sounding great right about now!

Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl
    I heart my car. Haha. My only true love! So yeah i'm precious with it if you know what I mean, my baby already has a lot of miles on him. Car ship + flight is sounding great right about now!
    Probably a good idea. If it takes 24 plus hours to get here, when you stay somewhere you'll be worrying about all the stuff in your car.

Hi Bond Girl! If you can afford to ship the car and your stuff, I would take that route. Why put yourself and your car through a 25 hour drive?

Other forum members have driven their cars and used u-haul to tow or rented trucks, but they wanted to be more frugal.

I'm just moving 10 minutes away, so I'm going to try to move in two taxi rides, especially if I get the minivan taxis. :) Only in SoBe..or should I say Sofi!

Thx guys. I think I will probably go that route....I'm going to do what sungal did and Mail/Check my stuff. All furniture gets left behind.

Most of my valuables went Amtrak when I did the cross country move. No issues.