Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I only lasted two days at Macy's (formerly Burdine's) working a retail counter ...

Haha....I take that as a "no"

Ahhhh it's so cold here I can't wait to get to Miami.....everyone send good employment vibes my way

Hi Bond Girl. I live in Sunny Isles and one of my job locations is in Miramar on 172nd Ave. It takes me 35 minutes to get there. You can take 826 West from Sunny Isles all the way to I-75 North (sometimes traffic). Or if you're willing to pay and get a SunPass, you can go from 826 West to the Turnpike (rarely traffic). I drive kind of fast but the Turnpike is really clear. It's a pleasant drive.

826, or 163rd Street, is absolutely brutal getting to the Golden Glades from Sunny Isles. I suppose once you get on the Palmetto it's not bad (you know a drive is bad when the Palmetto is the easy part). I'm shocked you were able to do just that part in under 35 minutes.

Please guys where are my good employment vibes? lol...sorry back to the informational part of this thread. Thank you nefrocatracho :)
    Does it put me in a better situation if I quit my professional job and move to Miami and work in retail until I find another position? I have the savings so it's not that, I just thought that I would be in a better spot being currently employed. Grrrrr....dilemmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer
    826, or 163rd Street, is absolutely brutal getting to the Golden Glades from Sunny Isles. I suppose once you get on the Palmetto it's not bad (you know a drive is bad when the Palmetto is the easy part). I'm shocked you were able to do just that part in under 35 minutes.
    I wouldn't call it brutal, slow yes but 35 min? No way. it takes me 15 minutes, 20 if really busy, to get to the 95/441/turnpike junction from Collins. If it is before 7:30, the palmetto to 75 is fine. After that time it backs up before 75 and I take the turnpike instead, which is like your own personal road it's so open, even at 9am. I'm doing 80 to 90mph on that stretch just so we're clear. I've timed it cuz I wanted to see which route was faster. I get to work in 35 minutes, Miramar Pkwy and 172nd ave, barring lots of rain.

I forgot to mention...Google Maps has a traffic feature where you can change the time of your drive to see how long it will take, say during rush hour. It uses historical data to estimate the traffic and drive times for your route. I've found it to be reasonably accurate

The turnpike is pretty clear in the early morning.

Bond Girl ... I think it's better to move with a secured position if you can manage it. Then you'll have those savings for a rainy day. Obviously that is the more prudent thing to do.

Sending you good vibes!

Thank you Maria I appreciate it

The thing is, Maria, she doesn't have a secured position. Yeah, ideally you'd like to get a job from Anytown, USA before you move, but it seems Bond Girl is unable to do that thus far.

So I would say, if you are in a hurry to move and you have savings, do it. It will improve your chances exponentially if you are living here and you want to work here. South Floridians, as you will discover should you become one, have a very "last man on the island" attitude, and don't really want more people coming. Though they do anyway. But if you're already here, well, it helps your cause a lot.

Just make sure you have at LEAST 5 grand, although 8 makes it a lot easier.

Ugh....I just got 3 email rejections this past week, no phone interviews or anything. boo

I'm definitely set on moving to Miami though so I'm coming either way!!! This is my dream and I can't wait to make it happen!!!

Sorry to hear about that Bond Girl. But keep persisting! Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

I think it definitely will help if the address on your resume is a Miami one.

Thanks guys, I'm coming!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12