Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Living in Miramar, FL

Can you work in Miramar and live in Miami and still have an easy commute? Thx guys for the advice. Are there good places to live in Miami near Miramar?

That really depends on where you live in Miami. It's a commute against traffic, but if you are in a place a long way from freeway access, it can be a pain in the mornings. Miramar is right on the Dade/Broward County line, so the parts of Miami near there are like Miami Gardens (not nice), Miami Lakes (ok), Aventura (nice, but lots of condos)and Sunny Isles (on the beach, but a decent drive from the freeway) if you wanna stretch it. Although once you're that far east it's not too much worse to live downtown or in Mid-Beach.

I wouldn't call it a great commute, but there are much worse. I have contacted my resident expert in all things Miramar, and hopefully he'll be chiming in on the site shortly.

Thank you Matt, I'm deciding whether or not to apply for a job in Miramar if I want to live in Miami....

You're definitely the exception to the rule as most people live in Miramar and work in Miami, Lauderdale, Doral, etc. I'm slightly confused by what area you're deeming "Miami" as some people use that term loosely to refer to anything in Miami Dade County. That being said, I'll use the broader definition to cover all bases and to prevent Matt from being forced to contact me again as I don't really enjoy interacting with the guy.

The first thing we need to define is "easy commute". I believe this to be anything under 45 minutes if you live from Ft. Lauderdale on south. Anything under 30 minutes and you're waaaaaaay ahead of anybody that would use the term "commute" to define their drive to work.

The second thing we'd need to clarify is where in Miramar you'd be employed as it isn't exactly a small area. I personally live within walking distance of I-75 but Miramar runs east almost to I-95 (the quality of the area also diminishes as you make this progression). I'm going to venture a guess that your prospective place of employment is somewhere in the vicinity of where the turnpike connects with Miramar Parkway (Red Road) and the on-ramps to I-75.

Assuming we're still on the same page, go ahead and forget about living in Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Brickell or anywhere else that will involve being on long stretches of I-95 during rush hour (throw US-1 into the mix and it would be faster to fly from MIA to North Perry Airport in Pembroke Pines). You're going to want to be as close to the Golden Glades Interchange as possible if your desire is to live east and be near the ocean. I wouldn't live anywhere south of Bal Harbour on the beach or Miami Shores on the mainland to avoid the need to leave an hour window (to be safe) for your commute. I personally find Miami Shores to be a nice area that isn't as pricey as the beach but you'd also be able to find a myriad of quality real estate in Aventura, Sunny Isles, etc. These areas aren't South Beach but then again you're not wasting an extra hour or more of your day wanting to kill fellow motorists. I'd say your commute from the places I mentioned would be around 30 minutes on average to reach Miramar Parkway at the Red Road intersection.

There are several more options (most cheaper) if living close to the beach isn't a huge priority. Miami Lakes would provide the closest suburban feel location in Dade County and would be a 10 minute commute as you would travel a few miles north on Red Road to reach Miramar. You'd be going against traffic if you decided to live in western Dade County but I still would strongly advise against living anywhere south of Doral as the flow of cars doesn't dissipate until you are north of 836. Miami Springs is a hidden gem that would get you to the intersection of I-75 and Miramar Parkway in around 30 minutes on most days.

You pretty much want to be in Doral/Miami Springs north if you're living out west and Miami Shores/Bal Harbour north if you're near the beach. Everything else in between (aside from Miami Lakes) is crappy real estate and everything south is going to provide you with those days in which your commute is over an hour.

I hope this is of assistance as it's coming from a guy that lived in Miramar and worked in Coral Gables for an extended period of time that I wish I could forget. Back to back days in which your morning commute is over 2 hours is grounds for justifiable homicide in my book.

I drive from Miami to Mirimar on weekends to the NBC office and even though there is absolutely no traffic at 8 a.m. on Saturdays and Sunday, it still takes me 30 minutes.

Hmm....interesting. Thanks Aaron in Miramar & Carlos for the replies. I'm going to apply for the job! Haha and btw I don't exactly define this message board as "interacting"

Applied to 7 jobs so far in Miami....going to do a lot more this weekend. Please somebody hire me :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl
    Hmm....interesting. Thanks Aaron in Miramar & Carlos for the replies. I'm going to apply for the job! Haha and btw I don't exactly define this message board as "interacting"

Applied to 7 jobs so far in Miami....going to do a lot more this weekend. Please somebody hire me :)
    This is really not a time to be picky. And it's true what they say that it's easier to find a job once you have a job.

But are you set on living in Miami? You wouldn't want to live in Mirimar or Pembroke Pines?

True that Carlos!!! hehe. I honestly don't know Miramar or Penbroke Pines. I don't want to live in the suburbs though....I live there now, boring. My current commute is also really long, and I really want to avoid that in my next job! I currently have a job....so hopefully that will be a sell point in me getting a new one in Miami (or Miramar!). Thanks for the advice :)

Its kinda like Aaron said, if you want to work in Miramar, and you don't want to live in the suburbs, and you don't want to live in Browards (like downtown Ft. Lauderdale) you are going to have a brutal commute.

Aaron, thanks so much for your input. You may not like Matt, but we love forum members like you ;-)

Bond Girl, I'm not going to add to the already specific advice, but I would say this, if you do get that job in Miramar, try sticking close to it, even if you don't want to live in the suburbs, just for a year or maybe six months, depending on your rental options.

In a 9 to 5 situation, spending all that extra time in your car is going to defeat the purpose of living in a trendier area. And like Aaron suggested, may sour your experiences.

After a year getting to know the region, you can better determine what you're willing to put up with and compromise.

On weekends, you'll have less traffic and can really go east and south to enjoy the beaches, the Grove, etc ;

Miami Springs is a really cute area, by the way.

Thanks everyone for the input...let's see if I can get an interview first before I go crazy about the location :)

Ok now I've applied to 25 jobs! Should I keep applying for more or should this be enough?

Wow! That's a lot. I don't see how it can hurt to apply for more though. The more you apply, the better your odds. Good luck.

Hi Maria....yeah I know! I will be really happy to get a few interviews I know most jobs have 200+ applicants and a lot of those are probably in state. Now 27.....

I really hope it works out for me judging from this site the people in Miami are very cool I can't wait to move!!!

Oh wow, 2 weeks and not a peep from the 28 jobs I've applied to! Grrrr. Are they just throwing my apps in the trash since I live a 25 hr drive from Miami? :( :(

Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl
    Oh wow, 2 weeks and not a peep from the 28 jobs I've applied to! Grrrr. Are they just throwing my apps in the trash since I live a 25 hr drive from Miami? :( :(
    Probably. When i was living in Arizona but planning to move to Vegas i started applying for jobs before i moved. Of course no one ever replied or called back. Then i moved to Vegas and started applying again, this time with a Vegas address, and i got call backs within a few days.

I actually just applied for a job back in Vegas but i doubt i'll ever hear from them due to my resume having a Miami address on it.

Ugh....
    I booked a flight to Miami for a week to do interviews. I put this in all my cover letters so I hope that they want to interview me at no cost to them.

What kind of job are you looking for?

I applied to a lot of jobs that I thought I was at least somewhat qualified for....but mostly I just want a FT job that pays ok and has benefits.

Are retail jobs that have benefits, like Barnes & Noble and Nordstrom good places to work? I worked in fast food when I was in HS and I really didn't like it, I will not go back....plus I really don't think I could have a good life for the pay you get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast