Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Artecity Governor and Roney Palace

Hello,

I am moving from NYC down to South Beach and was wondering if anyone was familiar with Artecity Governor or Roney Palace. I visited units at both units today and liked both buildings but was hoping to get some further insight. What are the tenants like who live in these buildings? Are there a lot of young people (I am a 29-year-old single, straight male). Does anyone have any idea when the pool and gym will be ready at Artecity (the rental manager didn't know).

Thanks so much for your help!

DS

The Roney Palace is nice, but dated. It's right on the beach, but 23rd St is on the outer end of south beach. My friend lives there and likes it. I think he said he gets to use the Gansevort ammenities, but you should double check. You'll find a lot of "neighbors", live there only part rime or just for vacation. Where's the other building?

I am very familiar with the Roney.

I assume you are talking about renting, my answer for buying is somewhat different.

The Roney seems to me to be a great place to rent. As sungal says, the lobby could use a bit of updating, but the location, albeit on the edge of south beach, is great. The units are of a good size and you can walk to most places. Its off that madness of Ocean drive, but still a brisk, but reasonable walk.

You have access to 2 pools, the south pool between the roney and W and the main gansevort pool-towel service is included with both. You DO NOT have access to the rooftop pool, except at night as everyone else does during club hours. The gym on site is the David Barton Gym, but that requires a separate membership. (There was some talk about a discount for roney residents, but I don't know if that ever occured.)

Something that would interest Sungal, it seems to be a pet friendly building!

As far as neighbors go, as Sungal says, many people use it as a vacation home, but when I'm there, most of the people going in and out seem to be in their 20's.

Short term leases are also available, so I would have no hesitation, whatsoever, in renting.

My coworker just moved to the Roney and loved it. I believe he said the discounted price to the gym is around $65 a month. My big draw back to the Roney was the fact that it is valet only parking. However, my coworker does not think that is a big deal and he has lived there for about 3 weeks now.

New User

Thank you for the replies. The Roney's shared amenities with the Gansevoort definitely seem nice. Do you guys have any idea if noise is an issue? I'm guessing that other than at the Gansevoort pool, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Artecity Governor is part of the larger Artecity development at 21st between Washington and Collins. The rest other buildings are still being completed. The Governor is a really nice building with brand new units. Only downside I can see is that the units are somewhat small (1-BRs are between about 550 and 620 sf). It looks like once the 2 pools and gym is done, it will be really nice. My concern is that I couldn't get a straight answer as to when they might be completed.

Here's the link to the Artecity web site:

http://www.artecitymiami.com/

Thanks for the note about the dog fred!

As far as noise in Roney, if you're facing Collins and have a balcony or your windows open, yes you'll have noise. I noticed a place for rent there, furnished for $1400, but the location isn't right for me.

Since you want a building with young, single people my suggestion would be the Flamingo at 1500 Bay. If you're concerned about noise I would find a for rent unit in the condo tower. It has a nice resort feel, and the rental pool on the weekend turns into a party. They have even have a pool bar! I think it would be a great building for socializing. If you can afford the Continuim that's a very nice building.

I have a friend in the Roney facing Collins and she complains about all the street and sidewalk noise.
    Plus the parking is valet only, and guest have to pay something like $30 per day to visit!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Packer
    I have a friend in the Roney facing Collins and she complains about all the street and sidewalk noise.
    Plus the parking is valet only, and guest have to pay something like $30 per day to visit!
    Todd, I know thats the valet rate for the gansevort, is it also for the Roney???(as you know there are 2 very separate entrances)---if so, what does it run for places like the continmun, portofino and south point tower?

Thanks!

That was for the Roney. I'm sure they don't want all the residents friends coming over just to park while they go to Louise, Plunge, Aero Bar, the W, or any other night club place.

Continuum is free for your guest if you live there, but 1 bedrooms start at $3,500 per month and require 4 months deposit upfront (first, last, security, association) plus $1000 move in deposit plus application fee. Pretty sure Portofino and south point are free for guests too.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Packer
    That was for the Roney. I'm sure they don't want all the residents friends coming over just to park while they go to Louise, Plunge, Aero Bar, the W, or any other night club place.

Continuum is free for your guest if you live there, but 1 bedrooms start at $3,500 per month and require 4 months deposit upfront (first, last, security, association) plus $1000 move in deposit plus application fee. Pretty sure Portofino and south point are free for guests too.
    Wow! I'm going to call Carlos Hernandez, the building manager, to find out about this. There should be a way of identifying invited guests to avoid this seemingly usurious fees.

I was considering a condo there, but this fee can be a real deal breaker!

New User

Apparently, you can get an extra valet spot for $50/month.

I know for a fact valet is free for guests at the Murano Grande. I don't think luxury buildings charge for guests because it must somehow be included in the already exorbitant condo fees. Plus, it's different where there are more permanent residents. The Roney is still rather resort-like.

My ex-boyfriend's building on Millionaire's Row was a dated condo monster and they charged $8. Over time, it became expensive to visit him!

I say this over and over again -- living in South Beach is not good anywhere if you're the type of person who likes to have friends over. So Fred -- I don't blame you!

zbockett - I think you're going to have to trust your instinct on this one. I would be wary if they can't give me a clear answer on what will be available when. They might be trying to bait and switch you at the Artecity.

New User

I went with the Roney. I moved in a couple days ago and am very happy with the decision so far. Thanks all for the advice!

hi z! Thanks for the update. It would be great if you could let us know how you like it there after you've been living there for a while. Enjoy your new place!

Quote Originally Posted by zbockett33
    I went with the Roney. I moved in a couple days ago and am very happy with the decision so far. Thanks all for the advice!
    Yes, pleas keep us posted!